_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
how do you make fresh mud look
USMarine
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 475 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 07:46 AM UTC
hey

how would you make fresh mud look for a snow or muddy diorama

cheers
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 08:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hey

how would you make fresh mud look for a snow or muddy diorama

cheers

For a snow dio, ive heard people use baking sode but rumour has it that it turns yellow with time. I cant confirm this. I can confirm however that i personally perfer to use pigment powder. If you need it in large quantities, its best to get stuff like face paint in powder form. They still these in the local art store at a cheap price.

If you want quality then go for the MMP range.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 08:39 AM UTC
Ola Matt

Well I have done something like that a while ago. The dio never got finished because I had another (read better idea with two of the three figures I had for the one in the link I post here. Look at step 9 under the pic is a short explanation how I made it.
SNOWBALL!!! Start of a Dio
I hope it is of some use for you.
You could add some satin varnish to it but I should be
very carefull with that as even fresh mud doesn`t shine. Otherwise fresh mud looks kinda like every other groundsurface. It doesn`t run or whatever. As long as it is not disturbed it will be flat. the difference can easily be seen when you tear up the surface as that happens easier to a muddy surface.
Snow can easily be done with Babypowder fixed with Hairspray. an example can be found here:
Distraction Greta`s Revenge
On the last page is told how the snow works

I hope you can do something with this information
Looking forward to your work

SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 08:55 AM UTC
The Dio that I am currently working on is pretty much all mud well , the two are muddy but I use celluclay for the mud and paint it the color that I want the mud. No to give it that it just rained look I like to use the OL' Favorite Future. it doesn't have a high shine but gies it that just right semi- gloss look. doesn't look artificial and it spreads easy and smells good to. If you never herd of it you can buy it in any grocery store. but I have had great success with it and if you want to add some puddles for even more wet look I use I think it is called Ready water. Poor straight out of the bottle. becafull not to use to much futura. Tap out the brush and almost dry brush it on just so it coats it enough to wet it . if you want it to shine more add another coat.
 _GOTOTOP