_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How to build metal model kits
nicoropi
Visit this Community
Vaud, Switzerland
entire network: 243 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 04:36 AM UTC

Just bought an ULRICH PUCHALA white metal kit.
I'm trying to figure out the best way to assemble it.
Anybody has any tips & tricks?
I guess the glue and the paint will have to be different than what I use for plastic...

And yes, i did spend hours researching on the web, but all I found was that a lot of merchant sites are selling those kits, but a lot less people will publish how to assemble the kits.

It's great if you guys can help me out!

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 05:00 AM UTC
I clean the parts well with vinegar first, and assemble with simple CA glue. Sometimes for strength you can use two part epoxy, or drill a hole in each piece and pin them together with metal rod, if they're thick enough. (or both) Other than that, it's pretty straightforward.

tomglover
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 99 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 05:03 AM UTC
http://www.historexagents.com/shop/tips_metal.php

This should give you a fairly good quide. I don't model metal figures so I don't really know much, if anything about WM kits.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 05:20 AM UTC
Just skimming through that article Tom placed, it almost feels like you are in a different modelling world as all the paints and glues are different. The end result is fantastic though.
nicoropi
Visit this Community
Vaud, Switzerland
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 06:35 AM UTC

Thanks guys very helpful as always

How about painting though? Can I use my enamel paints?
Asmenoth
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 274 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 06:44 AM UTC
After using primer, you can use any paint. I would recommend a good primer though. An automotive primer should do the trick. Gunze Sangyo makes a metal primer, but it's a bit odd...it's clear instead of grey or white. Tamiya's primers work well too.

:-)
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 06:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How about painting though? Can I use my enamel paints?

Yes, but prime it first with a for-metal primer. Over here, Floquil and Scale Coat make metal primers for the model railroad world. No doubt there is plenty to choose from there.

I use automobile primer on my metal railroad pieces, as well as metal military kits--platic ones, too

One suggestion is to place the piece in vinegar for a while, which will etch the metal, giving "tooth" for the paint to stick to. Many model railroaders that paint with Floquil and Scale Coat will also bake the freshly painted model at 200-350 degrees--I've never attempted this so I do not recommend trying it without guidance from one who has done so

Here's a great step-by-step: Repainting Brass Locomotive

Also, from a metal model locomotive manufacturer:

Metal Prep Post
nicoropi
Visit this Community
Vaud, Switzerland
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 06:55 AM UTC
OK I will try to find the translation for primer and run to my DIY shop :-)

This may be a silly question :

Should the parts be painted before assembly, or can it wait for later?

I've had this dilema for plastic kits also... was even thinking about making a post about it...
I was taught to paint on the sprue first, then assemble;, then paint again, but when I get carried away; I paint as I go, and the results is always good, so it makes the painting on the sprue look like a waste of time...

What's the word from the experts?
I'll post something about this, and let's say the question here is just about this metal kit.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 08:59 AM UTC
I'm certainly no expert-I just like to build stuff. I just wrote a post a few days ago stating that if you can see it you can paint it. It comes from Shep Paine's old book on building armor . Some disagree but it has always worked for me. You definitely would be better off painting the metal kit afterwards, like the one I posted a pic of earlier. (by the way, I liked the look of it so much I never painted it) Like plastic kits, you'll spend a lot of time removing paint anyway, as CA will just peel paint from the joints, causing lots of bad words to ensue.

This pic shows painting begun on a 99% completed model:

Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 07:38 AM UTC
18B, is that kit that Egyptian monster T-100 or something like that? I have the T-122 that looks pretty simular and that thing is a beast. Looks good but man, its huge. I agree, if you can see it, it can be painted. Nice work thus far. "Q"
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 03:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

18B, is that kit that Egyptian monster T-100 or something like that? I have the T-122 that looks pretty simular and that thing is a beast.

Yes it is. I've done the T-34/100, the T-34/122, and the T-34/D-30. These days the only way to get to do more modern artillery is to do resin.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 04:58 AM UTC
I hear ya about the resin and arty. Seems the only medium that its done in any more. I picked the AEF T122 turret for next to nothing a few years back to use as a guide for scratching out a new one. I built the Maquette kit with its solid resin turret and got inspired to open on up, hence the AEF purchase Make sure and put up some photo's when yours is done. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP