Discuss general weathering topics here.
Not fond of weathering
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 07:40 AM UTC
Not sure of how many others feel this way, but the part of a build that I dread most is weathering. I don't really like the painting part either, but I can deal with that. But once I get to the point where I'm doing washes, dusting, etc., I just kind of freeze up. I just don't want to screw up what looks like a nice build by adding something that I really won't know how it looks till it's done and dried. And after spending many hours on the project to get to this point, that's not very appealing.

Now I've only been back into the hobby for about a year so I know that once I gain experience I'll feel more comfortable doing this. Most times I'm tempted just to place it on the shelf once the build is complete, but I know that it just won't look right without at least some weathering.

Anybody else feel, or felt, this way?
lkoky
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 62 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 07:54 AM UTC
Same here mauserman.

I enjoy the building stage a lot lot lot ... more than painting. Probably because I always did a lousy paint job (++)
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 07:55 AM UTC
Yep, me too. I need to buy meself a new trowel for the finer paint bits. :-)
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 08:30 AM UTC
Im the same.. Once I get the paint done, I dont want to mess it up with the weathering.. Like you, Im still new at it, again...LOL, It takes me a fair bit it of courage to actually start...

Dave
Diablo
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,699 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 08:58 AM UTC
there is nothing to it,just practice on a cheap model.you will only learn it if you just do it.and when you got it done it will look so much better
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 942 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 08:59 AM UTC
Wht not build yourself a cheap kit, paint different areas different camo schemes and then practise.
Tom
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 09:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

but the part of a build that I dread most is weathering.

I know the feeling, but this is actually the part I'm looking forward to. To make the model look like it has seen its share of action is to me very satisfying. As Allycat said, get a cheap model and practise.

Cheers
Erik
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 09:13 AM UTC
Its the washes and weathering that i love to do, as it brings the model to life.
Andy
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 795 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 09:14 AM UTC
I used to have the same feelings myself.
I think part of it comes from that is so much troubble if not sometimes impossible to remove paint should it go wrong.
Also it might be that when the painting start its too late to correct building mistakes.

Nowdays I like when only painting is left as I know what I can do, and what to do in the most situations. Its also much easier to estemate how long it will take til Im done.

Its just like other poster written, practise and experimenting.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 09:50 AM UTC
I somehow fear it the most but i usually dont let that stop me as i know thats one step in the construction process that brings out the best in the model.

I figured since im getting serious about this hobby, i might as well buy some books to learn more and then carry out trial and error...the best way to learn i reckon. Cant always get things right the first time. Im sure people like Vinnie and Gino didnt get to where they are by fluking it all the time.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 11:45 AM UTC
I don't think that every model has to be weathered. I actually perfer a clean model, most of the time. I love building ARV's and, for the most part, will weather them. Tony Greenland states, in his excellent "Panzer Modeling", that he keeps weathering to a minimum.
I say, it's your model, do what makes you happy.

Chuck
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 11:59 AM UTC
I like it all "Q"
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 04:30 PM UTC
Not me I love weathering, its the thing that appeals to me the most about making models. The reason I got back into this hobby and particularly military was seeing what can be done with these little things. I do struggle from time to time,not knowing how to procede and I made plenty of mistakes but thats how you learn. I also find that as my confidence increases I enjoy weathering more & more. I dont mind the other stuff but weathering for me is where its at.

Cheers
Bruce
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 07:04 PM UTC
I don't really like the Weathering part. Building & Painting is fine. I think the only part of Weathering that I'm best at is applying mud all over.. :-)
SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 07:42 PM UTC
I don't like weathering either so I don't do it. I know most builds look really good with it, but I haven't had any luck with it so I build mine like they would look right out of the paint shop. I guss it's just a personal thing.
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 01:18 AM UTC
Weathering is not my favorite part of modeling. But, you can practice on cheap models to get a feel for it. The old Academy and Tamiya kits are good subjects to experiment on. That way you don't end up making a mess of the newer, better detailed kits. The Tamiya Pz1V D kit is good for European /North African weathering and chipping practice. Also the Tamiya Pz11 F/G kit. Cheap, and a quick build OOTB.
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 02:12 AM UTC
Painting and weathering are my favorite parts. I can't wait to complete the build so I can get into the creative part.
goose
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 02:38 AM UTC
I agree with you! I build the kit then it kind of stalls as I am unsure of how to proceed with the painting and weathering.
My favourite topic is german armor, but Im trying some allied kits out as I finding the olive/khaki easier to paint and to weather. Added to this I've just bought my 1st airbrush some Im learning with that also.

I think as others have said, practice makes perfect. (though this tends to get expensive!)
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 945 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tony Greenland states, in his excellent "Panzer Modeling", that he keeps weathering to a minimum.
I say, it's your model, do what makes you happy.

Unless you put your model in a diorama where the locale of the scene requires for certain weathering, I like to keep my weathering to minium too.

However, weathering is what I'm looking forward to also. It brings the model to life and shows discpline of your workmanship.

WC
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 03:08 AM UTC
I like to keep weathering to a minimum. I think it is due to my upbringing where we kept our vehicles in good working order. Not factory fresh, but perhaps motor pool condition after the tank's been cleaned up at the end of an exercise.

Of course, if I placed it in a diorama, then I would weather it accordingly.
Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,500 Posts
KitMaker Network: 154 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 03:38 AM UTC
Mostly I tend to keep it to a minimum, aiming for subtlety. It is also the part I fear most when building too, and the easiest to screw up.. Case in point is I just came up from my workshop, I had applied an oil wash to the most recent build yesterday morning and then overcoated with MM Dullcoat last night. I went to drybrush the doors of the HMMWV this morning and found that I only put the wash on the inside of the doors!!!

Oh well, I guess the new wash should be dry by now and I can re-dullcoat them, I'm going back downstairs now.

Dave S.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 03:46 AM UTC
Good to see I'm not alone in this feeling. The sacrificial model is an idea that I've tried. I keep an old Tamiya M3 around to experiment on and that has helped. And I've recently gotten some MIG pigments and they've been pretty easy to work with. So I'll keep plugging away at it. I don't think I'll ever grow to enjoy it, but I think I have gotten better at it and hopefully will continue to do so.
lordQ
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 530 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 07:01 AM UTC
I love painting and weathering!
Always trying new schemes!
nicoropi
Visit this Community
Vaud, Switzerland
entire network: 243 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 07:18 AM UTC
I only learnt about weathering some weeks ago when I found this website, and it has brought another dimension to the hobby! Weathering really makes the model look real, without it is just a nicely built model, with it it is just real!
It is now my favorite part although I'm far from mastering it,.
I think it is the most creative part.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 07:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I only learnt about weathering some weeks ago when I found this website, and it has brought another dimension to the hobby! Weathering really makes the model look real, without it is just a nicely built model, with it it is just real!
It is now my favorite part although I'm far from mastering it,.
I think it is the most creative part.

Thats how i felt when i started off as well. Its more pleasing to my eyes when i see a somewhat dirty model.
 _GOTOTOP