_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How to Paint Realistic Military Figures
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 07:38 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Had a quick look through the review section and didnt see any information on this book.

Has anyone seen or read this book? Is it worth getting or am i better off learning from the web?

How to Paint Realistic Military Figures (Paperback)

Any feedback on personal experiences with painting figures etc would be most welcome.
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 945 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 08:27 PM UTC
Hey Jeremy,

I'm equally curious about this book. Recently I've been trying to find my "lost touch" on my figure painting. I went to Amazon and try to find my favorite artist's book This is the book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/1841767476/ref=dp_image_0/102-0934602-5680961?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=507846&s=books

This guy is amazing... Unfortunately this book is not out yet... I'm crossing my fingers and will definitely pick this one up.

Also, Jaume Ortiz's articles in the Xtreme Modeling is very good too... Can't wait to get my hands on them.

WC

Pilgrim
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 516 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 08:28 PM UTC
I bought it and found it quite useful, but not indispensible. The advantage is that they deal mainly in painting with acrylics, which I found the most helpful thing as most other sources tend toward using oils for flesh tones. The quality of the pictures is good, and they clearly show each step in painting a figure - the section on painting faces is particularly good in this regard.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 10:52 PM UTC
I have this book and although I havn't gotten into figures much I someday hope to be able to do decent ones.

The book is full of color photos that show what they are describing. the Section on painting Faces is great..

there is a photo step by step guide to painting faces in acrylics and enamals and on on painting faces with oils.

Also the chapters on painting uniforms and equipment is very nicely done. with a lot of techniques explained in detail.

You can find a lot of the same type of information on the net but its nice to have a printed reference with good photos in it that you can thumb through.

I agree with the fact that its not indespensible, but it is very useful on technique for figures.

just for info..

chapter 4 is painting faces and uses what looks like 1/16th heads for their example they look militaryish to me also.

chapter 5 is painting uniforms and equipment
chapter 6 is painting camo uniforms.
chapter 7 is painting black and white uniforms.

these 3 chapters show a lot of WW II examples (read mostly) and step by step photos.

and although this book was a little on the expensive side here.. If giving the choice again.. I would buy it again..

jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 11:24 PM UTC
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess i will take your advice and purchase this book. I actually stumbled across it while looking for the book Modelling the M113 Series by Osprey Publishing as well.

I will be purchasing it off amazon.com as i cant seem to find both in the same bookstore or LHS so the cost is not exactly cheap for me either. Shipping cost did appreciate the price somewhat..........the things i will do for this hobby.
 _GOTOTOP