_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
STILL Learning????
cropduster
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 62 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 03:00 PM UTC
I was just wondering how to get more pics into my gallery. It seems I already have already used over 2/3 of my initial kb and I'm not sure how I screwed up?!? DREW

PS Make sure you back-up your research pics off your computer before it is too late, My PC went KAPUT .... and I lost 1000s of model pics, real armor and battlefield photos, as well as a lot of technique shots yeah about 4 years worth of stuff ....BUMMER .........lesson learned
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 04:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was just wondering how to get more pics into my gallery. It seems I already have already used over 2/3 of my initial kb and I'm not sure how I screwed up?!? DREW

PS Make sure you back-up your research pics off your computer before it is too late, My PC went KAPUT .... and I lost 1000s of model pics, real armor and battlefield photos, as well as a lot of technique shots yeah about 4 years worth of stuff ....BUMMER .........lesson learned

Hi Drew... you might want to "shrink" the sizes of your photos before uploading them. That will save some kbs for you to upload more pictures.

HTH
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
entire network: 5,653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 06:45 PM UTC
Hi Drew!

To save space, rather than just "shrink" the pics, use the JPEG compression. With good settings, you can save half of the file size with almost no noticable quality loss.

You can also suscribe to the A Guard (silver or gold) to have even more gallery space! To know how it works, just click on the A Guard logo on the left

Jean-Luc
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 07:09 PM UTC
Theres truth in what you said though....always back up your stuff whenever possible. I tend to partition my drives and store all my photos and important stuff there. These days i never keep important stuff in the main C drive in fear of viruses etc.

Might i suggest investing in a portable HD. Backup and mobility makes the best combination.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 10:54 PM UTC
I both shrink the size and use jpeg compression. For basic pics, something like 600x450 is usually enough. I then compress them to jpeg format with the quality set to 8 in the scale from 1 to 10. This usually shrinks the file size from like 500 kb to around 50-90 kb.
cropduster
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 08:25 PM UTC
Thanks for all the tips, guys. Can anyone suggest a reasonable program/ application to do this... 'Cuz I just went to the other side and bought a Mac Mini and haven't had the chance to spend an arm and a leg on Adobe photoshop. Is there anything cheaper that has simular controls that wont break the bank?
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 12:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was just wondering how to get more pics into my gallery. It seems I already have already used over 2/3 of my initial kb

You could join the A-Guard.. Just click the A-Guard banner under my name and have a look...

Dave
cropduster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 08:21 AM UTC
Thanks to everyone, and Dave, thanks for that suggestion, I will have to join the Silver team soon
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 08:52 AM UTC
Check out what ever graphics programme your computer came with.The programme I use to shrink my photos is the simple graphics PAINT which is one of the accessories that came with my PC. It has a stretch/skew facility and that's what I use.
 _GOTOTOP