_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Stretched Sprue
RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 746 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 05:00 AM UTC
Hi ya All I need some help i have read about stretched sprue but i have had some real problems stretching the dam stuff . Is there some sort of special technic to this cause i have tried fast heating and pulling, slow heat and twisting and pulling and nothing just breaks in half.
please help me.

PS i am not actually trying to recreate something at the mo just trying to add a skill.

redleg
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 05:07 AM UTC
Hi Redleg...Well what I do is hold a lighter quite far away from the sprue so that it doesn't turn black from the flame ..I rotate the sprue to heat it all around...when the sprue acctually bends by itself I then slowly begin to pull the sprue apart ...I'd say this technique works 9 times out of ten ,so I'm satisfied..

hth
Rick
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 05:11 AM UTC
I know what you mean Redleg, there is a knack to it! I always use a candle I keep on my bench so that I have two hands. With my left hand hold the sprue over the flame about 2 inches along the sprue (the flame). Turn it slowly, and when it begins to droop, put it on the bench top and with your right hand, gently pull apart. Keep still and flat on the bench top, gently blow it until cool, (a few seconds), and you've got it!

Vinnie
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 05:17 AM UTC
Redleg,

A always hold the sprue over the heat source at aabout a 45 degree angle. When the sprue droops on its own, stretch it. The faster you pull, the thinner the strand.

Sounds like you may be trying to stretch it before it is hot enough.

HTH,

Shaun

EDIT: You guys beat me...
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is there some sort of special technic to this cause i have tried fast heating and pulling, slow heat and twisting and pulling and nothing just breaks in half.

Try using styrene from different kits. Some brands strech easily while others just break. Try bending a piece of sprue. If it bends withouth breaking, it should be good for streching.
RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 746 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 06:20 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice guys i will get practicing

redleg
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 06:45 AM UTC
Hey Redleg,
What I like to use is a small candle. Take a piece of sprue, hold it over the flame 2-3 inches and roll the sprue in your fingers, rolling it will heat evenly. The sprue will exspand over the flame, once it does pull it at a steady fast pace. Once you pull it to length keep it taunt till it cools, a couple seconds should do. The best way it to try it a few time till you get the feel for it. Good luck
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 06:59 AM UTC
Candles and lighters are certainly the cheapest way to do it but if you have a wife like mine that does quite a bit of art and craft, you can dig up the old heat gun. It works like a charm.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 07:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Try using styrene from different kits. Some brands strech easily while others just break. Try bending a piece of sprue. If it bends withouth breaking, it should be good for streching.

That's exactly what I was going to offer. Older Academy kits especially- they have notoriously bad sprue.
 _GOTOTOP