_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Staples
RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 746 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 11:50 AM UTC
Hi All
Quick question for you, After shooting my self in the head with a staple ( Big kid at Heart :-) ) Have any of you ever tried using them for Handles of anything like that? If so how did they turn out?

redleg
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 11:54 AM UTC
Redleg
I use staples for several things, hatch handles on tanks and lamp irons on model railway loco's to name a couple. I've always been happy with the results.

Pete
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 12:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Redleg
I use staples for several things, hatch handles on tanks and lamp irons on model railway loco's to name a couple. I've always been happy with the results.

Pete

Is there a specific size of staples that you use to get the right scale or do you change about depending on the model?
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 12:18 PM UTC
Jeremy
I change about to whatever is appropriate.

Pete
RedLeg
Visit this Community
entire network: 746 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 05:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the Reply Stormbringer i will go ahead and give it a go. i have plenty of sizes so i should get some good fits.

redleg
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 05:25 AM UTC
I use the "Tiny Tot" size made by Swingline. Slightly smaller than the standard staple size.
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 02:57 PM UTC
I've used staples a few times for hatch covers on my tanks. It's one of the few scratch things that I've done on my own that actually looks half good! :-)
I do keep a few different sizes on the bench, and use whatever is appropriate for the scale.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 09:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I use the "Tiny Tot" size made by Swingline. Slightly smaller than the standard staple size.

"The Tiny Tot size is perfect for modeling handles... Please don't take my red Swingline Stapler!" [in Milton voice]
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 07:17 AM UTC
Back in the old days of Walther's passenger car kits, I used staples quite a bit, as that's what they told you to use. These days, I don't use them primarily because of the flat profile. Most of the grab handles I model have a round profile. And even with te different sizes, they never sem to be the size I need. I generally just bend music wire. I've got a lifetime supply of three foot lengths of .015, .020, .032, etc.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 08:46 AM UTC
I wasn't going to go there but...here's what I found for grab handles, surgery staples. Yeah I know. While looking at my incision I thought that they would make great grap handles. So when I saw the Doctor to have them removed I had asked him that if I could keep, he gave me a funny look then I told him what I wanted to use them for, and then he got a kick out of it :-) I was able to get 42 staples and you can double up by cutting them in half. I used them once on a APC and thought they looked great.

MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 943 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 06:47 PM UTC
I have used staples of varying sizes as well and they look efective.
I have also used wire and another cheap alternative (if you work in an office where there allways lying on the floor ) are paper clips which come in varying sizes and can be straightened out.

And whilst building my latest project , Tamiyas Universal Carrier , i snipped the ends off dress making pins to represent the handle knobs on the vision slits covers.

Ian
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 07:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wasn't going to go there but...here's what I found for grab handles, surgery staples. Yeah I know. While looking at my incision I thought that they would make great grap handles. So when I saw the Doctor to have them removed I had asked him that if I could keep, he gave me a funny look then I told him what I wanted to use them for, and then he got a kick out of it I was able to get 42 staples and you can double up by cutting them in half. I used them once on a APC and thought they looked great.

I know we sometimes suffer for our art, but I have to take my hat off to you Mother, undergoing surgery just to make grab handles! :-) :-) :-)
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 12:20 AM UTC
You know I never thought about staples and I can't beleive that I did not think of it. I could of saved some time with those things!!
 _GOTOTOP