_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Decals
Trouble with decals?
Decals
Removed by original poster on 10/14/19 - 20:44:19 (GMT).
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 08:14 AM UTC
Basic decals

Her you go, John
BTW, welcome to Armorama

Cheers
Erik
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 08:54 AM UTC
This is an interesting post.

While I was back in the UK recently I bought Humbrol Decalfix. However, I used it for the first time on the 1/35 Italeri Crusader (having used Kleer first) and then spent my time chasing the sodding decals all over the model.

I painted the area with Kleer and let it dry, detached the decal with water then added it to the model over a layer of Decalfix. However, they just would not settle properly and the Decalfix just would not go away. There was no "melting" of the decal, it just floated in an infuriatingly insolent manner on what became a puddle of the Decalfix. I finally had to soak it up with tissue but this really messed up the decal setting, i.e. they shot off in the direction of the tissue paper like demented missiles.

It would have been easier nailing the *&^%$ decals on. It took hours (days, weeks even) just to add about 15 decals.

I've never used a setting solution before (having not built a model for about 30 years untill recently and hadn't even heard of the stuff till I came across this site) but I'm not impressed with this Humbrol "Decalfix".

Am I doing something wrong? Does anybody else use it?
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 08:56 AM UTC
Hmm....I've known plenty of beginners use Humbrol decalfix,........but only once! :-) In my opinion, it's basically rubbish. The best system I've ever found is MicroSet and MicroSol.

Vinnie
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 09:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The best system I've ever found is MicroSet and MicroSol.

Agree. I use it as well, and it is rearly causing any trouble.

Erik
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 09:07 AM UTC
Thanks chaps, a couple more items for me shopping basket at Hannants.

I'd better not let SWMBO see it.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 12:02 PM UTC
Ive heard good things about the microsol range but ive managed to apply decals without using any of it.

After applying a coat of Tamiya's X-22 and allowed it to dry, i just use tweezers to seperate the decals after its soaked in water and then apply them to the models directly. After which, i would apply another coat of X-22 to seal them in.

I personally would always use tweezers to pick the decals up as my fat fingers would most certainly destory them in some way.
 _GOTOTOP