_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
What would you use for snow?
USMarine
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 475 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2005 - 02:17 PM UTC
hey

im about to start a snow diorama and dont no what to use for snow and i also dont have alot of money either.would would be the simple cheap easy way for snow i was thinking baking powder might work yes/no

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2005 - 02:41 PM UTC
This topic comes up often. Do a search for snow and you will find quite a few topics. As I always answer, keep away from food items (flour, baking soda/powder, sweetener, etc.) they will all yellow over time or be eaten by bugs. The best snow product out there is called MicroBalloons. Woodland Scenics train model products has a large, 32 oz., shaker bottle for only about $8, called (go figure) Snow. It will make quite a few blizzards. All you do is apply some fixative, I use pump hairspray, and sprinkle it on. It is made out of microscopic spheres of styrene plastic and will never yellow, fade, breakdown, etc. Looks great too.

Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2005 - 06:31 PM UTC
I've always used baking soda oversprayed with hair spray. Never had a yellowing problem (the "yellow" in this is cause the pic is old). Hang in there, though-you'll probably get some more ideas.

Art
(sorry, for some reason I can't load the pic. maybe cause it's o230! Check page 4 in my gallery-"Eastern Front").
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 12:16 PM UTC
Ive heard baking soda being used alot of time but not sure about the yellowing effect.

I find the cheapest form of snow comes in the form of pigment powder thats used for face paint. The ones kids use to paint their faces. You can buy huge tubs of them in various colours....in this case, white would be most relevant to you.

The beauty of them is that when mixed with thinner, they somehow stick very well but still maintain the powder form. When the thinner dries up, they dont fall off the model easy. I mainly use it for simulating mud and dust.

The one i use is this one:
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 390 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 12:33 PM UTC
have to be baking soda and hairspray...
don worry man, i started out with baby powder but it turn yellow over sometime...its trial and error thing...
Bk27
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 92 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 09:11 PM UTC
One easy way to make snow, and cheep
I hope it healps

http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/other/create_snow_cheehongahn.
 _GOTOTOP