_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Focus Range Question
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 448 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 03:08 PM UTC
I have a question I'd like clarified on Focus Ranges.

When a camera says that it has a focus ranger of say 2 feet, that means that the lens is able to properly focus on its target at 2 feet correct? If this is corect then lets say that camera is 2 feet away and then what happens when the camera zooms in, will the zoomed photo still be clear?

Thanks

Jeff
goldenturtle
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 06:42 PM UTC
If by focus ranges, you may mean depth of field. (I'm guessing) If your camera is a fixed focus, about 2 feet is as close as you can get. Generaly speaking when you zoom to telephoto setting you wont be able to be as close. When photoghaphing models you want enough depth of field to have all the model in focus, a smaller aperture will give this, but at a slower shutter speed. Use a tripod!!!! I would recommend a 35mm slr, they are easy to use. Go to a real camera store and ask if they have any used cameras, go for an all manual model, like pentax k-1000 this will give you full control of focus, exposure and composition.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 10:39 PM UTC
Yes, Jeff, the Focus Range is the range within which the camera can focus on the subject.
Yes again with the zooming. It subject should remain clear when photographed.
 _GOTOTOP