_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Roof Tiles 1/35
FLASH
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 11:37 AM UTC
Hi All,
I am in the process of putting together a 1/35 scale scratch built church and beleive I need to tile the roof. Has anyone any tips on creating hundreds of tiles quickly and at the same time keeping them uniform in size? I am not making the terracotta style just the plain old flat slate/wooden type.

Cheers
Lee

warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 12:16 PM UTC
Hi,

Just an idea...why not use popsicle sticks or stirrers, cut them according to your required size. If it were terracotta I could have helped more...

Cheers
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 12:50 PM UTC
I don't know but popsicle sticks might be a bit too thick. I would probably go with heavy card stock or thin balsa wood.
FLASH
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 109 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 01:22 PM UTC
Thanks Guy's,
but I have decided to make them from sheet styrene. My problem is coming up with a quick method for making hundreds of then and, all of uniform size!
Any tips in this dep[artment will be greatly appreciated.

Lee

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 01:50 PM UTC
Check out the doll house section of a craft store. I use one kind - I do have to cut each doll house shingle into 4 individual ones...

Or you can get a Fantastic shingle roof from Kancali - an advertiser on the left bar. Check them out.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 02:04 PM UTC
I use the cardboard of the bottom half of my empty model boxes. All you need is a pair of scissors and a ruler
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
entire network: 2,406 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 06:18 PM UTC
Hi Lee,
I did my recent roof tiles with Sheet Styrene
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/58286&page=1

Take a complete 0.25 mm (that's 0.010 '' i think) Evergreen sheet.
Fix it with tape on a flat surface (best is only a little bigger than the sheet ), a rectangular tile or something.
I you don't want to mark the ind. slates width with a pen, attach a metallic ruler along the sheet with a piece of tape so that it is fixed.
Now take a steel machinist square to make your first series of lines with an X-Acto, slow, with a new blade one pass is enough, it should not go through. The machinist square can slide along your tile and you are using the ruler for the measures, no need to mark the sheet.
For doing the other side, i leave the sheet fixed, mark my slates height or wide, and with the machinist square, do the same as above.
Before detaching the tape, pass with a sanding paper, to eliminate the elevations from the scribbing.
Take it away from the tile, prime it and that's it.
I have found out that there is no need to give it a first layer of colour, because after braking apart the individual tiles , the border's are still white so you need to fix them later.
Another tip : Do not glue the slates with normal plastic solvent, 0,25 mm is so thin, the bonding procedure wil be seen through the slate. Normal white wood glue is enough.

I know that this was some awfull english, so , if it was unclear , please ask back, and i also can make some pics tonight, because i am actually doing another roof myself.
By the way , my projects hotel , had some 4000 individual slates.
Cheers to Australia
Claude
 _GOTOTOP