_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Scratchbuilding: madness or obsession?
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 03:22 AM UTC
I would like your opinons please on this subject. Last night I went to my monthly model meeting like I do every month. It was fun of course. I brought my 1/72nd Panzer IV J with the 80% of the interior completely scratchbuilt with still more to do. I showed it off to my fellow club members and they liked it. One of the members asked me a question that bothered me not because he asked the question but I started to wonder for myself about the scratchbuilding thought process. All he said was that it is looking great keep up the good work , but borderline insane #:-) [while laughing] and the question he had asked me was, when will it ever be finished? Will it ever be done for a contest? I had said that even though I had already have approximately 11 month into it, in my opinon I may have about another 5-6 more months to go on it. So my question for all of you fellow modelers is this, when scratchbuilding when is it for lack of a better saying "enough is enough"? When you are trying to scratchbuild the BEST possible representation of a particular model, when do you know or say ENOUGH? "Scratchbuilding is it madness or and obsession"
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 03:41 AM UTC
Enough is enough when you decide it is enough.

Model for your own pleasure and sense of accomplishment and don't let other's ways of thinking affect that. Ignore jabs from modelers who try to goad you into never ending spirals of modeling madness by espousing the difference between "model builders" and "kit assemblers". Ignore jabs from modelers who bash "rivet counters" likewise.

Just have fun in doing what you choose to do. Acceptance from a fellow modeler is great - but not as great as pleasing yourself in a modeling project.

Gunnie
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 04:17 AM UTC
Thank you Gunnie again for the encouraging words. But for me building this Panzer IV is never ending #:-) my god. I think that last night was just a bad night for me mentaly, when it comes to the Panzer IV. Hell, maybe I had a slight scratchbuilding mental brake down [laughing] #:-) #:-) Just joking, who knows anymore. All I know is that last night on my way home I started to wonder if I really was going to finish this Panzer IV or not for myself.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 04:49 AM UTC
Wolf-Leader - Gunnie's right - build for yourself FIRST, contests, others second.
If you want to make a perfect representation then Great do it. Don't let anyone sway you from that.
My personal method is to have a goal in mind for the project and build to suit. I have gone insane on scratch building some piece in a few projects, then others are mostly OOTB.
Do you think Michael Angelo (spelling?) got ribbed for the Sisten Chapel (again spelling?). While he was doing it - I bet he did. But now look - Every one goes "Man How Beautiful"

Build and scratch build for yourself and if you take another year and a half - so be it. You'll have the best darn P IV around.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 04:50 AM UTC
And that's why we have lots of model kits! When one is getting a little too intense - crack open a different one. It will help keep you sharp and fresh. Not every model has to be the end-all of your modeling universe.

A kit on the side keeps the modeler alive...

Gunnie
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 05:44 AM UTC
Thank you guys one and all!!! I would like to just say this, it almost brings a tear to my eye when I here such things as what you fellow modeler have to say. Who invented Armorama.com? I would like to shake his hand for starting this great site [family]. Before I even knew about this site, I was stuck in Hyperscale.com and also Missing-lynx.com. Some of the time they had personalities about as interesting as a turnip. [Boring] Once again, I thank you guys for making feel good about modeling when times are tuff in building models.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 06:07 AM UTC
Slodder, I checked the dictionary and the correct spellings are: "Sistine" and "Michelangelo"
:-) A little more knowledge never hurt!

Quoted Text

A kit on the side keeps the modeler alive...

If that's true, I'll be here for quite a while yet... And Gunnie, great advice. We can always count on you to reminds us why we build models!

Quoted Text

Who invented Armorama.com? I would like to shake his hand for starting this great site [family].

That would be our very own "Staff_Jim". Also known as "Jim" I like to call him 'Captain Jim" because he makes me think of a pirate for some reason. ...I dunno why! #:-)

YodaMan
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 07:36 AM UTC
Yodaman - Thanks - awsome wrap up. Thanks for the help. You are absolutely right more knowledge is a good thing!

Wolf-Leader - I know what you mean about turnips.

Gunnie - maybe my doctor needs a new verse - "A Model a day keeps the Dr. away."

Digger
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 10:36 AM UTC
I agree with all that's been said. I for one am an OOTB type of guy - why because I like it that way, I like to build my kits ASAP, I don't like to put too much thought into each kit, its cheaper and I like painting and weathering as much as assembling my kits.

But what really impresses me is when others can go the next step or steps as the case may be - more power to them and to you.

Always remember this is a hobby - it is fun and is meant to be fun. There's room for all types of modellers.

Good luck with your scratchbuilding - I'm sure you'll get all the pleasure you need just from knowing what you have achieved

Happy modelling
Digger
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 10:49 AM UTC
Subject: Scratchbuilding: madness or obsession?

Well after tonight it is madness for me

I admit, maybe I went over my head but still I don't think it is that impossible to do.

"Short story" I wanted to build a diorama with a dummy tank on it (operation Bodyguard -1943) -in fact it would be 2, one covered and finished and the steel frame of the other with a welder working on it.

The finished one was a easy one, so how hard can it be to just make the frame .... very
After a whole week of work, restarting 3 times and using different materials I gave up, the fact that I have 2 left hands will not help, but I NEVER try a scratchbuilding project again!

Sorry for my rambling, just got frustrated (a lot!),
#:-) #:-) #:-)
Gatekeeper
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 142 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 07:31 PM UTC
Hey Wolf-Leader

lol...I have the same thing with music...get home put on music...in the car...on my disckman to school, from school even during school...some people call me mad, others obsessed, addicted, attached. I listen to music when talkin to friends, doing work walking, everywhere.

I think the important part is if you like what your doin then who cares what everyone thinks!...you said you worked on it for 11 months???...thats a long time to be working on one model!...I think you should finish it!...I am sure you can wait 5 or 6 more months!...and at the end I know you will be please and proud of what you did!

Besides we all have our mad sides #:-)

Good luck!...Keep it up!

from an Obsest Cris
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 83 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 06:56 AM UTC
wolfleader

Im complete agreement with all the rest of the guys.This hobby was meant to be
fun. Weither or not your building oob or from scratch or any were in between,does
not matter. Dont bite at the goading of someone else who is not building in your
style or source.

ponysoldier

The horse The Gun The Man
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 11:02 AM UTC
Thank you guys for the encouraging words. Well I am back to building again.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 11:40 AM UTC
Wolf,
1) congrats ! All adjectives would do unjustice to your work.
2) to reply to your question : yes, you definitely need to be missing some buttons to scratchbuild all that ! #:-) I know : I spent the best part of 3 years scratchbuilding that blasted M35 ! My wife says I'm deranged, but in a nice kinda way. Modeling keeps me away from beer and vile women and keeps me at home when nights are cold. Thinking about it : it's getting way past bedtime here. Time to go to bed and keep the lady's feet warm.
 _GOTOTOP