_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Packing your models to move
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 03:39 AM UTC
I really need some advice on how to pack my models for moving. I have a couple of tanks that have long antennas and I really don't want them to be broken when I move.
Please help!!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 03:55 AM UTC
Unfortunately, the antennas almost always break off. I move every couple of years with the military. I let the packers pack mine up, with some guidance. Here is how I have them do it. Roll up packing paper into balls and line the bottom of the box. Gently wrap each model in packing paper and tape it off, only one model in each wrapped piece. Place them loosely in the box and fill up any holes with more rolled packing paper. Make sure heavier ones or any on wooden bases are on bottom and the box does not need to be pushed down to close the top. I have not really had any problems, only a couple damaged beyond repair in 12 years of moving around the country/world this way. If something does get broken, all the pieces will be contained in the paper that it was wrapped in and not get lost in the box. Unfortunately, some small items (antennas, mirrors, etc.) will get broken off. This just gives you something to do when you get to your new location. It will keep you busy since you will have nothing to do, like unpack the whole house. Good luck.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 04:10 PM UTC
I hope those antennas arent too long cause you would need to get a box big enough to cover the whole thing otherwise.

When i moved between cities last year and knew that my stuff was going to be shipped in a container that will undoubtedly be bumped around, i figured the best way was to fill up the boxes with my models with styrofoam beads (ones you find in the beanbags). Fill the beads to the brim and then seal it.

I saw the movers actually chucked it around but to my surprise, it was still in one piece when i unpacked it.

Those styrofoam beads are cheap. Just make sure you use a sturdy box to keep your model in otherwise it defeats the purpose.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 05:36 PM UTC
Remove the antennae before moving / packing
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 07:00 PM UTC
I just moved about a month ago. Fortunately it was just a short distance and was able to move mine myself in the car!
phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 629 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 02:49 AM UTC
I think the main thing to worry about is make sure that which ever way you pack them, make sure that the box can take just as much of a beating. I work in the shipping business and on a daily basis I see boxes that weren't designed to hold what they are shipping (like sheets of glass in a non-reinforced large cardboard box; needless to say we get a lot of return to shippers with those ones ). Good luck on the move.
Kyle
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 03:04 AM UTC
I used large 1 gallon zip-lock baggies to place the models in. Even the antennas fit, but if you can remove them, I'd do so. If anything breaks off the parts are right there in the baggie. Once secured in the baggies, place the baggies/models in a box that has either shredded paper, styrofoam peanuts, crumpled newpaper etc. in it. Add more of said padding on top of this then seal the box. You can go so far as to double box as well. ie.. The box with the models/baggies in it is placed inside another box with the same type of padding around it as well. Granted this takes a lot of material, but I found that it is worth it in the long run, unless you really, really like repairing your work later. I was able to move 100+ built kits with zero breakage. Granted it was a fairly short move, but nothing was broken. Hope your move goes well. "Q"
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 10:52 AM UTC
If possible, you could also try to bend the antenna on a slight angle so that it doesnt take up to much box space vertically. This does however risk breaking it if you arent careful in your packing.
 _GOTOTOP