_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Help Resizing Photo's
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 03:54 AM UTC
Okay, in my attempt to resize my photo's in order to load them to my gallery (yes, I received the warning that my images were too large to load)....I tried to resize them on my computer (I do not have a photoshop program) by clicking on the photo, then edit, then image, and finally attributes. I then typed in 600X450 pixels and ended up with what appears to be only the upper left hand corner of my photo/s. Now I have no idea how to go back and recapture my full photo/s. Although my thumbnails show the entire photo (under My Photo's), when I click on it, only the upper left corner comes up. I tried to resize them to the original size they were before I first resized them (2048X1536 pixels), but that just made matters worse.

I just want to get my photo's loaded to my gallery for the Medic Campaign for now, but I would like to know how to do this once and for all. I eventually want to learn how to post them to the specific campaign gallery or to a single post in a specific forum, but I'll settle for my gallery for now so I get credit for completing the campaign.
I am about as stupid as they come when it comes to computers. I had help posting the photo's I have in my gallery now, but that took forever, as we used an outside source for hosting them...I think...

Any help would be appreciated...I hope I explained myself well enough for someone to know where I am with this...thanks!!!

Edit: I just figured out I have Adobe Photoshop...DUH!!!

Regardless, I am not sure how to use it really. I insert my photo's, but they are still only the upper left corner, not the full picture like in my thumbnails... Can anyone help, or would I be better off taking new photo's and starting from scratch?
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 04:53 PM UTC
A user friendly app that is also a good tool for resizing images and a whole lot more is Paintshop Pro by JASC. Its not as powerful as Photoshop but good enough for everyday users.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 05:52 PM UTC
Derek,
I'll give 'er a go and let you know if I have any problems. I'll likely take new photo's and start from scratch. Thanks for the help.

Jeremy,
Thanks, I'll look into that as well.

Once again, you guys on the big "A" come through...man I love this site!!!!!

spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 06:38 PM UTC
Darryl, just another suggestion that might help.

Rather than resize your Photoshop image, select 'save for web' in your 'file' menu and select jpeg format in the new window that appears.

Pick the quality percentage (%) you want on the bar at upper right corner of window. Wait a few seconds as a progress bar scrolls across and you will now see the new size of your image. If it's still too big or too small you can adjust the percentage bar again.

The advantage over resizing directly through your Photoshop 'image size' is that this is more forgiving. If you make a mistake and make the image smaller than necessary you can still increase it's size without a drop in quality.
dogload
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 585 Posts
KitMaker Network: 201 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 07:03 PM UTC
Hi Darryl, if you are only getting a small portion of your picture when you open it in photoshop then it's possible that the window they open in may need expanding. Just double-click on the coloured bar at the top of the window or the maximise icon on the top right of the window. It should then fill the available workspace.
If you just want to enlarge or reduce the size of your picture you could just use Microsoft paint- I'm assuming you have a PC. Open your image in Paint and select Image>Stretch/Skew (or hit Ctrl+W) and enter a percentage by which you wish to increase or reduce your image and that's it.
Hope that helps.
MC
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 1,430 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 10:09 PM UTC
Darryl..not sure if you have heard of it or not..but there is a very simple to use program called Irfan View. It will resize your images with a couple of clicks of the mouse..and it doesnt sacrifice the quality of the pic. Here is a link to download it if you want to check it out. Any questions..just pm me..
Mary

http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 01:59 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the added suggestions. This is going to be a trial-by-error experience for me as I learn more and more about my new found skill.

Mary,
I will certainly look into that program. Thanks for the link!

Using Derek's instructions, I was able to get a few photo's loaded to my gallery, and although it took me awhile, I did it faster than when my buddy helped me with my first addition to the gallery, so I'm pretty proud of myself considering.

Now I just need to figure out how to add a photo to a post in a forum....off to my next lesson!

Thanks all!!!!!

Edit: I DID IT!!! I was able to post my first photo to a forum (See Campaign Central - Medic Campaign Roll Call)...

Now I have to figure out how to add a photo to a post directly from my computer, rather than from my gallery. I have some I want to post to the Militaria forum. I suppose I could put the pictures in my gallery and then delete them...anyone?
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 06:14 PM UTC
I don't think you can post a pic into a forum thread directly from your pc/mac, as the file has to be hosted online. So you will have to upload it into your gallery first. And once you delete it from your gallery it will no longer appear in said thread (just little red x's).
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 06:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't think you can post a pic into a forum thread directly from your pc/mac, as the file has to be hosted online. So you will have to upload it into your gallery first. And once you delete it from your gallery it will no longer appear in said thread (just little red x's).

Well, that sure makes sense now that I think about it. Thanks for the info David.
bizzphotos
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 37 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 06:02 AM UTC
Darryl

Being a photojournalist for a local paper I use photoshop everyday. You should check what your dpi (dots per inch) this controls you size of the photo. Also check and see if your are sizing your photos in inches or picas. Picas are better.

Photoshop is not a cheap program, but you can check out cheaper one. Some you can try for free. I don't know if you have a pc or mac but go to www. versiontracker.com. You will find all kinds of programs for both formats and some are free.

Good luck

Ken Bizzigotti (Bizzphotos
bizzphotos
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 37 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 06:02 AM UTC
Darryl

Being a photojournalist for a local paper I use photoshop everyday. You should check what your dpi (dots per inch) this controls you size of the photo. Also check and see if your are sizing your photos in inches or picas. Picas are better.

Photoshop is not a cheap program, but you can check out cheaper one. Some you can try for free. I don't know if you have a pc or mac but go to www. versiontracker.com. You will find all kinds of programs for both formats and some are free.

Good luck

Ken Bizzigotti (Bizzphotos
 _GOTOTOP