First model show - looking for pointers
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 02:11 PM UTC
Hey guys,

I am planning to enter some figures in the upcoming AMPS East model show. Since I have never done this before I am not sure what to expect. Do any of you have any pointers you could share with me?
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 02:22 PM UTC
Sure, just make sure on the entry form to check the boxes of what extra catagories you want to compete in. If you don't check them, they will not consider you for that prize. IE best allied, axis, theme award, etc. Other than that have fun, and bring a small flashlight, the lighting in the armory stinks big time!

cya there!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 03:16 PM UTC
One of the beauties of AMPS is open judging. You get rewarded for the quality of your work, regardless of what or who else shows up. As John said above. lighting is way less than ideal.
Figures go right on the table, other categories are judged by the judging team in a separate room. You might want to volunteer an hour as a judge. This is one of the best venues to learn the skill. You'll work with trhee others and rate models on several categories giving 0-3 points. You get to discuss the model more freely since it's isolated. The low score is tossed and the rest averaged.
Don't enter as a novice, the best you can get is a bronze. My friend John (EasyOff) did that a couple years ago and was told afterwards he'd have gotten a gold medal if he was in the next class up.
You're likely to get to see an Abrams up close and personal and talk to the crew, maybe even crawl all over it.
Oh, yeah, bring lunch, there's nothing nearby, and cash. There are some really good vendors. MI Toy has a ton of accessory stuff, including Bayardi resin castings which are great for figurists as well as armor builders.
From where you are, get on I-84 in Sturbridge and just keep going until you cross the Hudson. The exit comes up pretty quickly after that.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 12:24 AM UTC
You could start by slipping the grumpy old guy a five spot....... It won't help you win, but it will make me feel loved, wanted, and all fuzzy inside, plus will help feed the old geezer.
:-) :-)
Bring cash, and credit cards, I take both.... Plus, I'll always allow you to make Pvt Parts walk 5 miles to the cash machine with you, for an extra five spot, I'll have him drive you....... :-)
There's a decent hot-dog hut, (Hopefully it's still in business) about a ten minute walk from the armory, opposite direction of the cash machine...... ask me how I know........ or how Pvt Parts knows.... :-) :-)
This year we are going to be smart, and bring a cooler with some soda, and sandwiches, and probably assorted stuff that will surely fall into the UNHEALTHLY list, for reasons already stated.
I third the idea of a flashlight....... and after you get done looking at the tank, you can go out back, and see the real vehicles.......... and notice that none have the same colors.......... :-) :-) :-)
EasyOff
Visit this Community
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 01:55 AM UTC
Ya, don't enter novice.

Lets see, what can I tell you that the other guys didn't. Well, if you have more that one figure in the same category, I know at figure shows folks like to stack their figures in what they call a "velvet pyramid".

Al gets creative and likes to match up materials of what the figures could have warn. ie, suede leather for his mountain men, stuff like that. Its a great look and it gives dimension to your display.

At one show I took these little chaulk boards and painted the frames around them, then I took photographs of my figures and made them look like they were actually out in nature. The photos came out great and it looked like I made models to compliment the photos when in fact it was actually the model. Then I placed them strategically in the pyramid. I've never seen it done before, or by anyone since, but hey, I got points for the display and points are a groovy thing baby!
http://photos.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/76642/cat/500/page/1

I believe AMPS and you can correct me if I'm wrong takes into consideration the base also.

That's just one or two ideas for you, from me, and oh, if you REALLY REALLY wanna feel loved, I work for 50 dollars...Why settle for that volkswagon kinda love when you can have fantastic Ferrari fuzzies.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 03:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You're likely to get to see an Abrams up close and personal and talk to the crew, maybe even crawl all over it.

That'd be old hat to Marty, he was one of the motor pool field trip attendees.
Marty
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 05:48 AM UTC
Thanks guys for your comments and suggestions. They were are helpful.

I will definitely bring some chow a flash light and a bit of $$$.

I have one question that begs itself to be asked is; If the lighting in the armory is so bad, why is the model competition (which IMO requires good lighting to fully appreciate all the work) being held there?

Rob is right about the Abrams. I had the pleasure of participating in one of the field trips when he was still in Massachusetts. I will never forget the roar of the turbine engine in that beast. The ride in an M113 was a blast too :-)
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 06:21 AM UTC
In 2001, it was held in a college cafeteria, I don't know where it was in 02 but it's been in its current location the last two outings. The judging room is well lit, at least. Some tables are near the windows and they're pretty good with , but the ones in the center are on the dark side.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 06:31 AM UTC
While I do not know specifically about the AMPS East site, the cost of the venue is normally a deciding factor regarding what site is used.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 09:26 AM UTC
I believe the cost is the major factor.
I know for the NJIPMS we moved several times since the beginning of our annual show, and it was usually because of lighting, and cost. The last ten years it's been perfect, good cost, and good lighting.
The Figure Club which has gotten smaller over the years, has it at a really nice place, and the redeeming factor, is the display room is lit with huge windows, or natural lighting. (Weather permitting, cloudy days the room becomes rather dark, as it does as the sun moves over head)
Cost is always the deciding factor, a lot of shows sometimes just barely break even, and a continuous yearly loss means the show can't go on. Buy raffle tickets...... it helps support the show...... and you just might win....... :-) :-)
 _GOTOTOP