Thanks
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 943 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 03:58 PM UTC
Hi Pionner

I read an article in the July issue of Miltiary Modelling heres what the author said more or less

The idea of filtering is similiar to a wash , however the filter represents wear and tear on the vehicles paint , caused by the effects of the elements such as sun, rain,dust etc and helps break up a monotone paint scheme and on cammo scheme helps blend the colours.
The process involved mixing thinners with a dark earth colour (or any combination of earth colours) at a ratio of 20-1(therefore tainted thinners, NOT thinned paint).
Then using a broad flat brush he applied the filter in vertical strokes down the model (as if doing a wash but allways brushing in a vertical motion).
Once the first filter was dry, the process was repeated with a slighty darker earth colour over the lower half of the vehicle.

You may also want to check this link http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2003/01/stuff_eng_tech_afv_weathering.htm

I have tried this method and it is suprisingly effective
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 04:07 PM UTC
Filtering is basically the process of putting a heavily diluted (with thinner) colour onto the modeller for 2 main reasons, one is to give it the matt look as you often apply a filter after a varnish has been applied and second is like you said, to highlight it.

You are not exactly changing the colour of the base coat but rather to give it that dustry look . matt look.

Some people apply this filer to the whole model while some prefer to only put it in specific areas of the model, its really up to the modeller to choose the desired effect that he/she is trying to achieve.

When i did filtering on my model, i used desert yellow and a touch of flat white to simulate dust so there are no restrictions on the type of colour to use.

Hope this helps.
WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 1,923 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 07:29 PM UTC
check this one:
rareworld
you will find there few articles about wheatering techniques by Mig Jemenze including filtering. I hope this will help you.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 10:00 PM UTC
Another use of filters is to spray them over camo. This ties the colours together and takes away from glaring bright colours.
Its also a good idea when all details are painted and stowage is added. When you´ve weathered your vehicle and add stowage and tools, they dont tie together right. A few light filters over the whole model makes all the add-ons look like they are part of the same model and not placed as an after thought.
After base painting a model, I dry brush it and then add pin washes. Then I spray a filter or 3. This tones down the harshness of the previous drybrushing and washes and blends them into a realistic colour, but all the detail is still brought up realistically.
Marjin Van Gils (spelling ?) has a great description of how he uses filters on a monotone colour to change the hue on different surfaces. Cant remember where I saw it now, but he uses every colour under the sun. They are very thinned but the result looks great.
There is also an article on missing links about using filters on a sturmtiger (cant remember by who). Its definately worth reading.
This is how I would describe filtering.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 11:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Any one out there knows of a good link or articles
which explains the technique and concepts of filtering
for the weathering process ?

Thanks

Hello, Pioner, and welcome to Armorama!!
To folow suit with the previous answers that you have received thus far, in one of the latest modeling manuals from Osprey Publishing, "Modelling the Churchill Tank", there is some excellent photo instructions and text by the author for the filtering process, as he uses this technique on practically all of his subjects...I don't know what you're building, but his process should be helpful for any subject! Check it out, if you wish...
Gunny

pionner
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 01:51 AM UTC
Guys,

thanks for the help, but I am a little confused (who doesn't at first) by all the article and the response I get.

I read at first that I should use a flat brush but later, I read that I can spray it on ?

Would both ways produce the same results ?

I assume to use a flat brush, I should be using artise oil and to spray, it should be acrylic ? Is it correct ?

P:S At first I was lost, now I am overwhelm with idea !!! And I love it !!! :-)
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 02:30 AM UTC
It is simply a fancy, artsy name for a wash. It is nothing new, someone out there wanted to sound more like an artist and now calls it a filter. All you are doing is applying a thin layer of paint over your base coat to change the color or hue of the paint. This can leave a dirty, dust look; a rusty look; a worn paint look; etc. depending on the wash color you use.

It is not to give the model a matte finish, that is what dullcoat and flat lacquer are for. Also, it is not to highlight the model, that is drybrushing.

You can use any paint for a wash/filter. I use strictly Testors MM paints (as I stated in your paint post).
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 02:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I read at first that I should use a flat brush but later, I read that I can spray it on ?

Would both ways produce the same results ?

:-)

You could either use a paint brush to apply the filter or you could use an airbrush to spray it on. Both achieve the same effect however using an airbrush does give it a more even look.

Both techniques are not specific for either oils or acrylics. If your model was painted with acrylics then create the filter using acrylics.

Check this article taken from IPMS Stockholm written by Anders Isaksson. It gives a really good tutorial on how to do filters and washes.

LAV-AT Out Of the Box
pionner
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 03:24 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

I got one more questions.... I am still color blind at the moment...

If I built a german tank for WWII, the base coat is already dark yellow or desert yellow, what color should I use for filter/wash ??? I know burnt umber is used quite often for pin wash for Sherman and other allied tank... will it work for dark yellow base coat ?

Cheers

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 04:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,

I got one more questions.... I am still color blind at the moment...

If I built a german tank for WWII, the base coat is already dark yellow or desert yellow, what color should I use for filter/wash ??? I know burnt umber is used quite often for pin wash for Sherman and other allied tank... will it work for dark yellow base coat ?

Cheers

That should work just fine. I use a darker tan/brown for washes on sand/desert yellow colored vehicles.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 06:23 AM UTC
I'd personally use something along the lines of Tamiya's Flat Earth of Brown for the wash as Gino mentioned.

For the filtering i would use add a touch of flat white and desert yellow to give it the dusty look as well as blend the camo.
Asmenoth
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 274 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 12:24 PM UTC
OK, not to threadjack here, but what color would you use for a filter on an all white vehicle. Something that would be used in the Medics Campaign?

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, not to threadjack here, but what color would you use for a filter on an all white vehicle. Something that would be used in the Medics Campaign?

Depends on how dirty and dingy you want it to be. For lightly weathered, a slightly darker off-white or a light gray. For dirty, a muddy brown color.
Asmenoth
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 274 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 12:55 PM UTC
Cool, it was in Somalia (sp?)...so mabye a sand/tan color on top and something a bit darker on the bottom?

Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 01:18 PM UTC
Keeping with the filter theme here, correct me if im wrong, but you would apply the filter over a dull coat ? Or would you use it on untreated paint?

Dave
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 01:59 PM UTC
Im gonna add my 2 cents here. Filter's should go over a semi-gloss coat. You can apply over a flat coat, but then the effect of multiple filters is lost. Only over a semigloss coat will the best effect be acheived. Read Migs article on ML a couple times if you need too, but its all there.
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 02:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Im gonna add my 2 cents here. Filter's should go over a semi-gloss coat. You can apply over a flat coat, but then the effect of multiple filters is lost. Only over a semigloss coat will the best effect be acheived. Read Migs article on ML a couple times if you need too, but its all there.

John hits on a very important point, much better results are achieved over semi-gloss coat. I find that after a few filters the gloss finish on the model is toned down to a more flat finish.

I disagree with the presumption that filters are just a fancy way of saying "wash". Filters are not meant to collect in the details of the model a la washes.
pionner
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 05:08 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

thanks for the wondering tips, link and pointer...

I thought I summarize what I have been reading to maintain my sanity :-)

Filter --> To change the base coat color from it original color
1) The Portion for filter should be 20-1 (oils paint or acrylics)
2) The Portion for filter should be 95% thinner and 5% paint (oil or acrylics)

--> Can be applied to the entire model using a round tip #6 brush or
--> Can be applied to the entire model using air brush which will give a more
even look

Work best on semi-gloss paint can go up to 20 layer of filter
Work on matt paint, but maximun 2 layer of filter.

Wash --> To highlight the raised portion of model such as grooves, handle, panel lines....
1) The portion for wash shouls be 80% thinner and 20% paint.

For green based vehicle :
filter color for dust : desert yellow and a touch of flat white

Sand/Desert color based vehicle :
filter color for : Dark Tan for Sand
: Brown for desert yellow

Wash : Tamiya Flat earth

I guess its time for action now after for the theory and concept you guys have provided :-)
I will post some picture later when I have tnem.

Thanks for the help
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 05:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Filter --> To change the base coat color from it original color

I wouldn´t go as far as saying changing colour, but changing the hue of a colour.

Anyways, I dont want to get bogged down in what is, or is not, a filter. Thats not important to me.

If you have a base colour, the hue can be changed from different angles .. like from the top where sun is glaring down, the back where exhaust is more prevalent, the sides where dirt/dust is thrown up, the front where its knocking down long grass/vegetation, etc.
Although it may seem like overkill, but thin filters changing, only slightly the colour, does make for a nice effect.
Tieing the whole vehicle together, with all detail painting, decals, stowage, etc is another important aspect of it.

Dont limit yourself in colours used. What about orange/red filters on top where the sun is glaring, purple and blues all over where its cold, greens and browns lower down to show the terrain, yellow for fading, greys for urban areas, etc, etc. The idea is that you dont have a red upper hull, black back side, green front, etc, but say (for example) olive drab that has taken on different tints depending on the conditions.

What you have above is a lot of good points of view and different methods of the same idea. Experiment with those ideas and see what you like, what works for you, etc.
 _GOTOTOP