TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Americas army
ellevehc86
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 162 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 01:57 AM UTC
Does anybody else play America's army here? I was thinking about starting my own server and start up a leauge with some tournaments. Please reply if you play or are interested.

Jay
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 02:04 AM UTC
I tried to, but I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. I could never get pass the qualification range.

We wanted to put it on all our computer here in my shop, ya know, we wanted to use it for "TRAINING."

ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 03:07 AM UTC
It's pretty decent for being free but it's a little frustrating at times. I find it impossible to qualify as expert on marksmanship thus I can't do the sniper training and I spent nearly an hour crawling around quietly to finish the SF qualification and the application has dropped it's connection to the server so an hour wasted.

What have they fixed in the latest release?

Paul
ellevehc86
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 05:05 AM UTC
The latest version, I do belive its 2.4 is way better. If you have the older version most of them require a patch. Even with a patch, I find the mout training usually does'nt work. Its just better to download the whole new version. The SF and the sniper training is tough. But if I can pass them all so can you guys. It just takes practice, especially with passing markmenship. If I can get enough people who are interested in playing, I will set up a web site dedicated to our teams and set up a schedule for a couple of games. If any one has any questions on the game itself, feel free to ask. Im not an expert but I;ve been playing it for a while and I know all the cheat codes.
lordQ
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 530 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 05:31 AM UTC
get "First to fight"

Much better than America's army, but it isn't free

Q
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 07:12 AM UTC
I downloaded and fired up version 2.4. Some slight differences. I guess I'll have to try the SF qualification again. I flipped onto a show on the Military Channel that showed the Army letting the America's Army developers live fire and go through a convoy ambush so we'll see what they add in the future.

Another free, but not as realistic, game is Enemy Territory based on the Return to Castle Wolfenstein game.

Paul
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2005 - 11:22 AM UTC
Its' a pretty good game. Especially considering its' free...well, as a US taxpayer the term free is a bit of a misnomer.

I played it quite a bit some time back, maybe 8-12 months ago. I have a Mac so V2.3 is it for me- rumor has it that the Mac V2.4 is coming out.

As all online games go, it is really dependent on he quality of the people playing. A bunch of jerks can ruin it, and the converse of a bunch of people willing to help out newbies is a BIG plus. My guess is that an Armorama based league would be the latter kind of place.

If the Mac can play it with the mass of PC users count me in.

Jim
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2005 - 12:31 PM UTC
I have it and I think the current version as stated, is better than the older one, the hardest part of the 'training' was E&E, but I'm expert marksman, SF qualified, and sniper qualified so there ya go with 20 honor points, I'll play usually early saturday mornings when I cant seem to sleep, or on rainy days when I cant go out.

If you happen to start your own league and server, I might be interested if its an honor server, my name for the game is omatic123, PM me if you start the league up.
-shain

ps. about first to fight, I cant get it to work
ellevehc86
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 03:08 AM UTC
Currently Im only running No-Honor servers. To set up a Official Honor server its a $100 set up fee, and $40 a month, and thats the cheap one. So needless to say I don't think I'll be setting up official severs for awhile. Plus, After you get the 15 Honor to qualify for Special Forces everything after that is just bragging rights. The severs I run are well administered, with a variety of options. I do alot of SF codes to make it alittle more fun. Right now all the servers start with the name "Jay's" etc. so feel free to join in. What I would like to do though since I cant afford a Honor server, is take the idea from this web site (which I love) and set up one of more own for AA. Which would include different teams with different logos. Chats for teams to discuss strategies, Strategy guides, scheduled severs with a guide to what there are and when they run, medals awarded to tournaments won, Ranks, and profile of players, also, maybe, an annual draft. Just a few ideas. Write me back and tell me what you think.

Thanks Jay
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 02:36 PM UTC
Jay,

Count me in for an Armorama AA league...so long as I can use the Mac. I realize that the Mac is 2.3 vs. 2.4 BUT they say Mac 2.4 is a comin'.

Keep me posted!

Jim

Off to my virtual armory, clean the weapons, clear the cobwebs and try to get back to the almost, kinda, semi acceptable level I was at. I play for fun. If you ever see me play you'll understand...
ellevehc86
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 04:04 PM UTC
I'll keep you informed jaster on my progress.

Jay