Pedro
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 02:06 AM UTC
Interesting pictures.
What I have advised competitors is include documentation if you're doing something that unusual. You have the reference, scan and print it and place it next to your entry. Not only will is dispel questions, but it will enhance what you've done by showing you replicated a specific vehicle at a specific time and place in history.
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 513 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 05:31 AM UTC
Wish I'd had these a couple of months ago. I wouldn't have been so reserved with my weathering.... :-)

SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,745 Posts
KitMaker Network: 221 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 12:44 PM UTC
Part of the problem is that full scale weathering often doesnt translate well in 1/35 scale. I had a friend weather his M60A3 model just like the 1/1 m60A3 he crewed, provided photos and still got jipped out of a medal since they didnt like the way it was weathered.
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 05:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Part of the problem is that full scale weathering often doesnt translate well in 1/35 scale. I had a friend weather his M60A3 model just like the 1/1 m60A3 he crewed, provided photos and still got jipped out of a medal since they didnt like the way it was weathered.

I think there are two types or class of modeling - realistic and artistic. Realists tend to do models based on how a kit would look in 1/1 scale...while artists would tend to do more of the highlight (dry brushing, shading, etc).

Judging is subjective in a way because it all depends on the taste or preference of a judge.

BTW, I love the how M3-Lee is weathered looks very realistic to me.

Just my opinion...

Cheers
ant88
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 11:51 PM UTC
I know you said that about judges as more as a joke but as we all know it does happen, when a judge has made that comment, that is why although it sometimes doesnt help I always bring a pic of a similar vechicle which is real life heavily weather to shut them up. lol
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 12:12 AM UTC
To be honest though, i dont think i have seen an 'over-weathered' model up here. Sure there are models that look like they have been left in the rain for years without moving an inch but thats the beauty of it...that its able to look so old from a kit that is typically brand new.

Back when i was in the combat engineer division, after a deployment, the vehicles are so caked up with mud, it would look like it had just gone through a mud storm.
char11
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 10 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 12:15 AM UTC
those are pics of an actual m3 lee in the desert
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 03:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i think the point made was that a model looking similar to the real pictures here would have been thrown out, which would obviously be a great injustice.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No, those are pix of M-3s training in summertime Kentucky, at Ft. Knox. Consider that temperate zones, during dry summer/autumn, gets very dirty

I read that on Guadalcanal, the flooding rains would deluge the area around noon, leaving a sea of mud; by mid-afternoon the sun so baked it dry that troops would, "...swim in mud, then choke on dust...".
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 03:51 PM UTC
Let me say it again: If you are modeling an unusual level of weathering, (or an unusual variant, or anything off beat that you found somewhere) bring documentation. None of us judging has seen every variant in every level of weathering and, believe it or not, we try to be fair, honest and just. You found the reference, you're here so you have a computer, and, most likely a printer. SHow the judges how you repicated a real world vehicle. AMPS strongly encourages that and most other shows accept that as well.
Last Saturday, I judged a bizarre RSO conversion of a manned Weermacht snowblower. It was mostly scratchbuilt and had diocumentiong photographs. It took best armor and was well in the runing for Best of Show, except for a superbly detailed Blackhawk. Without documentation, we might have thought it a fanciful imaginary vehicle and it might not have done as well as it did.
At the same show, I had to explain to Wolf-Leader that his very well done "The Beast" tank fell short due to the monochromatic scheme, including tracks, which he replicated from the movie. Had there been a reference photo, things might have gone differently.
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 05:20 PM UTC
That's a very good tip Al, thanks
 _GOTOTOP