Discuss general weathering topics here.
Winter Cammo
ant88
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2005 - 09:49 AM UTC
I need some help with winter cammo. Ive posted before but didnt get much feedback. Any techniques that you can share would help. I was thinking about powders but...

Bk27
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 92 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2005 - 10:11 AM UTC
I hope it helps
[url=http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/helpdesk.asp[/url]
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2005 - 10:11 AM UTC
Well, I'm no expert on winter camo on models, but on "the real thing" we use a white wash. I.e. on a three color camoflage scheme the black or darkest colour should be over painted with a whitewash. You could probably replicate the whitewash with diluted white acrylics.

Erik
ant88
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2005 - 11:54 AM UTC
Thanks bk47 yes it does
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 10:58 AM UTC
Hope you get more response this time round Anthony. Apart from pigment powder which i mentioned you in last thread, another method i have observed been used really effectively is using the airbrush and thinning down the white colour and spraying it from a distance to get a more spread effect. I noticed this is essential as snow never concentrates on a certain area of a model unless you hope to see pockets of snow residue depicting the model having been out in the snow in a stationary position.

I guess the real question is, do you want to have a textured look to your winter cammo or a more flat look. Pigment allows you to achieve the former while airbrushing achieves the latter.

Im not sure which era you are trying to achieve but for example if its was a WW2 era that you are going for, the allies used to cover their shermans with bedsheets to provide better camo against the snowy backdrop.
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 03:50 PM UTC
This is a broad question... What war? Year? Country? Tank? Clothing?
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 05:21 PM UTC
Hi Anthony,

Well, there are indeed many answers to your broad question. You'll find that you will get more responses if you ask more detailed questions...

However, if you mean winter camo for vehicles, the best way is to try to 'replicate' the original method, to scale off course.
The Germans in WW II used for example an overall coat of white paint or white wash, which would gradually wear off, depending on the theatre.
I use maskol to create the wear, as on this Pzr IV

The Americans used a much runnier white wash, and often used mops or buckets to apply it. They often are more 'streaky' than the German ones. I did this Sherman with a very diluted white paint, applied with downward strokes, in multiple layers to achive the depth.

If it's thin enough it will create the run down streaks of the 'field applied' ( i.e. thrown on with a bucket.. there is a great picture in the 'M10 tankdestroyers' book from the Tank in detail series of a tanker throwing white wash on an M10 in the Ardennes) white wash.

The method of spraying it from a distance gives good results if you want to create a ' slowly faded' camoflage, but that really works best with non front line vehicles, as they would not be subjected to the punishment that wears and damages the camo of front line vehicles. This method works great on staff cars or similair.

If you need to know more about figure camo, post your question in the 'figure forum' as there are some great figure painters on this site.

Cheers
Henk
ant88
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 01:03 AM UTC
Ty all for your help!!
 _GOTOTOP