_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
A nice letter from Signifer
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
entire network: 5,653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 02:31 AM UTC
Hi all!

Lately, I wrote a review about Signifer's excellent 1/48 Grumman JRF Goose multimedia kit. The review can still be found here.

I'm not a big review writter, but when I do one, I send an e-mail to the manufacturer once the article is "online". I do that because I think it's polite, but also to receive feedback from them and to make some publicity for Armorama.

I was a little be surprised as I received a letter from Signifer to thank me for the review I did! Three hand written pages! No computer generated, pre-formated, pre-printed letter or e-mail! Real writting from a real person!
Monsieur Meissonnier (owner of Signifer and model builder) also wanted me to share the content of the letter with the Armorama communauty. That's what I do now.

Mr Jean-Luc Formery,

Thanks for sending this article about the "Goose". We have appreciate your comments about the price, the quality of the details as well as the quality of the plastic and resin parts. [...]

You can see on our site the "Goose" isn't our first kit. It is simply the first to bring together resin and injected plastic parts...
More than 2 years were necessary to design this product (with artisanal methods). We are happy to hear feedback about our production "wich goes out of the pathed ways of mainstream manufacturers". We will try to go on in that way...
We have some more projects: France 1935-1940, Japan 1944-1945 and British 1933 (civil).
We will get you informed a soon as they will be released. You can also read the letter Grumman's Historical Centre (Bethpage N.Y.) sended us. One can't get better compliment.

As you are part of the Armorama communauty, we feel free to give some explanations and informations about all the work and various steps necessary to produce a new model and to get it on the market. This is very informative and you can share it with all the members:
A market survey is needed to see if the model is not already available and in what scale. The choice for an aircraft that saw a minimum of production.
The most detailed plans and references must be found for the subject (B&W and color photos if possible...)
Based on the plans, the best way to build the master (and the best way to produce the molds). Because the masters are different considering the various production methods:
- RTV silicone molds for resin parts.
- Steel or Zamac molds for injected plastic.
- There are various types of resin and one has to know their technological limit of use (flexibility, fluidity, steadiness in time, printing quality, price etc...)
- The choice of decals, their number, their quality and the manufacturer to produce them.
- The drawing of the instructions sheets (the most comprehensive and informative possible... in various languages)
- The best packaging and the Artist for the box art...
- Not to forget: all the security and caution warnings on the packaging's sides and the security standards to follow and to pay for...
- To finish, concerning the masters, I'll add that every part, from the biggest to the smallest one, was designed with the maximum of detail and quality in regard of the scale.
- All the masters must be preserved because the molds are getting damaged and they need to be replaced by new ones. Sometimes parts are badly molded and they are trashed.
You found a lot of parts in your kit (plastic sprues, resin parts, decal sheets, instructions on paper, metal rods etc...). All these parts were stocked and, after a rigorous controle of their quality and numbers, where put in plastic bags to compose the model kit.
For the "Goose", 180 operations are necessary, for a total time of 25 minutes, to get all the parts in the box and the model ready for sale... when everything works smoothly...

We have to fight, in Europe and specially in France, against the big manufacturers of the Asian zone. We should help with our choices, the Industrial and French short run manufacturers, for all kind of production. They would do even better if they would have the credit they deserves. [...]

We stay at your disposition for further informations.

Jérome Meissonnier

As I said in other posts, support the short run manufacturers! Don't always be focused on the "Clash of the Titans" and look what is happening at their feets! Sometimes you walk across goldmines without taking notice!

Jean-Luc

P.S. I translated the text the best I could. There may be some errors but the "esprit" of the original is always preserved!
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 02:38 AM UTC
It is nice to get something a little more personal that the standard form letter. Had the same thing happpen with me many years ago in regards to a water purifier. I ended up receiving a nice little Swiss Army knife from the company for sending them my story and the effect their product had on my outcome. Thanks for sharing. "Q"
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 02:38 AM UTC
Jean-Luc, that's an excellent letter, to go along with an excellent review.
Thanks for writing the review, and posting the letter.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 5,182 Posts
KitMaker Network: 242 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 03:46 AM UTC
Allô Jean-Luc!

What excellent feedback you received from Monsieur Meissonnier
It's not every day that we can get recognition for our "work"* here and comming from a manufacturer, regardless how small he his, it is very important!

Thank you for all your work, thank you for sharing and keep up the excellent job

"work"* - for most of the staff members, as you should all know, are not employees! Most of the reviews made are cortesy of our credit cards, the time spent is for the love for the hobby and this great family

And by the way, working link for the review:
Grumman JRF 5 (1:48) by Signifer

Skipper
fbuis
Visit this Community
Ain, France
entire network: 447 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 06:30 AM UTC
Jean-Luc,

Congratulations! this is a good idea to contact the manufacturer and show him your excellent work. Lucky you! you got a handwritting letter from Mr. Meissonnier (that is rare!).

Allô Rui,

Quoted Text

Most of the reviews made are cortesy of our credit cards, the time spent is for the love for the hobby and this great familyMost of the reviews made are cortesy of our credit cards, the time spent is for the love for the hobby and this great family

Yes, I just get know that when I begin to write some review... and now I remember my credit card number better than my ID card!

Francois
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 09:32 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Wow that's a result!

As anyone who's followed my reviews will realise, I'm a confirmed long-time advocate of short-run kits...

Now you've made a personal contact - please don't let it slip - news from direct from source is grist to the mill on Armorama.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 12:21 AM UTC
Hi all!

Thanks for reading the letter...

I will try to keep contact with M. Meissonnier if I can... maybe this could give us some really usefull informations from the "inside" of a model kit manufacturer... may it be a "small one".
I don't think this is pejorative. "Small" in this case means "available to the modelers communauty" and close to their needs...

By the way, take a look at Signifer's website , you'll find not only things for Aircraft modelers there, but also some goodies for Armor and Diorama fanatics... and this will show them that the Armorama communauty took notice of them.

Jean-Luc
dukw
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 263 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 03:09 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc,

thank you for sharing this. After reading your review i ordered my goose last week. Can't wait to get it in my hands.

Quoted Text

As I said in other posts, support the short run manufacturers! Don't always be focused on the "Clash of the Titans" and look what is happening at their feets! Sometimes you walk across goldmines without taking notice!

That is basicly my point of view. But i like to know what i get before i buy. Your review helped me out. May be someone can do reviews of their wheel sets, fe the MAN 8x8.

happy modelling
Harald
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 05:26 AM UTC
Guten Tag Harald!

Der "Goose" ist wirklich ein wunderbarer Modelbausatz. Fast zu schön um es zu bauen! :-)

I'm happy you bought a French quality product. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do right now! I'm currently building the kit for the Medics Campaign and you can see in-progress pictures in the following thread:
Medics - EVASAN JRF Goose

You can ask any question you want there... es kann auch auf Deutsch sein!

Tchüss und bis bald!

Jean-Luc
dukw
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 263 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 06:23 PM UTC
Hello Jean-Luc,

i think we should further use english in this forum to give the others a change to understand what we are talking about :-)
Thank you for sharing this link. You are doing a great job there. I roll out a red carpet for you.
But now let's talk about french kits. I've bought a lot of things from french manufactures. My favorite is MK 35. Specifically there civilian figures are superb. The problem is that those products are not well known or underrated, caused by pour marketing or unreliability in the past. But i think its getting better as you can see like Signifer or Blast Models. Reviews will do their part as well. I thought about doing some, but trouble with the editor prevents me from this.

happy modelling
Harald
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 06:37 PM UTC
good work Jean-Luc,

what an honour to recieve something like this from the manufacturer itself and in hand written letter!
I would threat the letter as an award to personal achievement !
Congrats Jean-Luc..your hardworking and effort to produce review article is acknowledged and rewarded by this letter. Keep it up Bro...
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 06:57 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing this wonderful letter Jean-Luc.
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 03:03 AM UTC
Hi guys!

Thanks again for your kind words... but I didn't posted the letter in the intention of getting reward for my work (though I appreciate them ). After all, I only wrote a couple of reviews and others here have already broken the 100 barrier! So I'll return the compliments to them because they deserve it more than I do.
I posted the letter because M. Meissonnier asked for it in his letter and I really believe if someone should be complimented, that should be him!

So I would rather say: thanks M. Meissonnier!

Jean-Luc

P.S. Harald, schreib weiter! Und versuche Deutsche Produkte zu fördern! Ich habe schon mit Fliegerhorst angefangen...
 _GOTOTOP