Trouble with decals?
So what do I do wrong???
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 06:45 AM UTC
I have made my first decals to day, and I do something wrong. The decals look just fine on the decal film, but turns to as soon as they get into water. Here is how I did it: Made the decals in Photoshop, printed the decals on a Canon Photoprinter, sealed the decalsheet with Micro Format Last Step Decal Coating, and waited for two hours for the coating to dry. I made mostly white and yellow decals. The white ones totally disapear, and the yellow ones turn light, transparent yellow. Black lettering are perfect. I used clear decalsheets.

So what do I do wrong???
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,009 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 06:51 AM UTC
Hey Erik,
I see the problem. Your printer does not have "White" ink so you have to use white decal paper. the only way to get the white to work other than white decal paper is to use an Alps Printerwhich has a white cartirdge. But like I said the easiest way is to just use white decal paper if the majority of the decal is white. I hope that helps a bit.
Cheers,
Bryan
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 08:02 AM UTC
To add to what Byran said, Pure Red, Yellow, and Blue are very transparent. If printed on clear film, they will usually disappear when placed over a dark back ground, and fade out over a lighter background.

Two things you can try.
1. Make sure your printer is set for highest quality, and glossy photo paper.

2. On white decal paper, print a surround of the background color.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

The other is use an Alps printer.
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 08:10 AM UTC
I've been told by "the experts", to use white transfer / decal paper for everything, except for cases where you need to see through such as stenciled lettering ? This to keep the colors from "fading" or becoming too transparent.
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 08:43 AM UTC
Thanks, Guys
This is the same solution I have come to after some thinking. I will print on white decal paper and "surround" the white numbers by the base color. Always nice to learn somthing new.

Erik
 _GOTOTOP