TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
HBO's Rome
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 05:02 AM UTC
Any who has HBO seen this last night? Far as I know this was the first episode. It wasn't nearly as graphic, blood and violence wize, as it could have been, but it certainly has it's share of frontal nudity and some pretty explicit sexual graffiti. It seems to give a very good "feel" of what ancient Rome was probably like. One thing that it didn't make clear was that there was a female Octavia, and a male Octavian. My wife was kind of confused by the similar names. The actor who played Octavian looked really familar to me. It wasn't until I looked him up on IMDB that I realized he was young midshipmen who lost his arm in Master and Commander.

I wouldn't recommend having the kids around when you watch it, but it looks like it could be a pretty interesting series.

Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It wasn't nearly as graphic, blood and violence wize, as it could have been

Rodger: I think the blood and violence will be ramping up soon. The scene where the woman gets a shower of bull's blood wasn't bloody enough? I thought it was about par for an HBO dramatic series -- good stuff and definitely not for children.

The "Making of ..." documentary on HBO was pretty interesting. The sets, the costumes, the weapons, etc., are all very extensively researched. The series is actually shot in and near Rome. They've gone out of their way to make this realistic and not another Hollywood vision (ala Cecil B. Demille) of what Rome was like.

One thing that they didn't fix: It always bugged me in Hollywood "Roman" movies how everyone had an English accent. HBO's Rome does nothing to change that.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 05:58 AM UTC
I agree it's not kids' program, but neither was Deadwood or the Sopranos.
As with Deadwood, it will take some time to get the characters sorted out, but it looks like it's going to be quite interesting.
As to the Englilsh accents, using a "Hollywood Standard American" accent would make it feel liek a high school production of Julius Ceasar, and just imagine the effect if you had some Brooklyn accent dropped in. The accent gives it more a feel of a true Shakesperean, without the iambic pentameter, feel.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 06:06 AM UTC
To be honest I'd forgotten that scene, and it did upset my wife, though not as much as it could have. Neither of us like guts or such being showed. A bit of blood, even a lot of blood, like that scene, doesn't upset us nearly as much. I was ready for it, because I've read about that cult, Mitras isn't it, before. I should have warned her.

I know, seems like everybody in the world, or in history, outside the US speaks with an proper English, not even Scottish or Irish, accent.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:09 AM UTC
I'm just spouting this off the top of my head, but I think Octavia was Octavians sister and she was married off to Mark Anthony. My reference is the movie "Cleopatra"...the Liz and Rick version, so take it for what it is worth. Makes me wish I had HBO just to watch this show. My ancestory goes here and I've always loved ancient history.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As to the Englilsh accents, using a "Hollywood Standard American" accent would make it feel liek a high school production of Julius Ceasar, and just imagine the effect if you had some Brooklyn accent dropped in. The accent gives it more a feel of a true Shakesperean, without the iambic pentameter, feel.

I'm sure you are correct here, Al. I just think it would be a hoot to hear them all speaking with an Italian accent. :-)

If they wanted more realism, I suppose it could be in Latin and subtitled in English. I think it would be pretty cool (and I might actually learn a bit more Latin), but they'd lose a huge part of the audience.

Quoted Text

I'm just spouting this off the top of my head, but I think Octavia was Octavians sister and she was married off to Mark Anthony. My reference is the movie "Cleopatra"...the Liz and Rick version, so take it for what it is worth. Makes me wish I had HBO just to watch this show. My ancestory goes here and I've always loved ancient history.

Right about Octavia and Octavian being brother and sister. In last night's episode, the mom made Octavia divorce her husband to marry the recently widowed Pompey ...

Don't worry, Steve, HBO is sure to release the whole thing on DVD just like they do all of their original programing. Who knows -- you might be able to watch the sex and violence in time for Christmas!
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:17 PM UTC
I iked it. Couple of people I spoke with said they were really confused by the politics. I can understand that but I didn't have any trouble. I wonder how many people will be shocked when the Ides of March roll around?

Really like the two Roman soldier characters, too. They sort of put a face on the Roman war machine we have all heard about. The whistle in the opening sequence was a nice touch.

Shaun
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 505 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 06:43 AM UTC
Hi~
I am not sure either???
Perhaps the next episode will tell us?

Yes I am not sure ancient Romans said
"aye"??? c'mon guys?

Also who where all those people watching her have sex????
thanks~
Ron
BSPRU
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 12:15 PM UTC
Ron
I believe they were her servant/slaves watching.
brian