Trouble with decals?
Micro Sol/Set + paint?
siegmund
Visit this Community
Slovenia
entire network: 87 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 01:00 AM UTC
I have to fninish a tank very fast so I would need an answer very quickly (please ). I'm about to put the decals on, and because the paint is already glossy, I don't think another gloss coat is necesary before the decals. But, because I'm going to use the Micro Sol/Set products I'm worried that they will damage the paint.

So will they?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 01:34 AM UTC
The reason for putting the gloss coat on, is to give you a glossy surface so the decals will settle down on a smooth surface.
Since you already have a smooth glossy surface, you don't need to add another one.
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 01:35 AM UTC
if the surface is already glossy i would'nt have thought that you will need any sol or set, also is your paint acrylic or enamel? i only use enamels and have never had any problems with decal solutions. if you have time you could paint a peice of scrap plastic with the same as on your tank, then if there are decals that are spareon your sheet, test one out to see how it goes.
hope this helps, phil
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 07:02 AM UTC
I'm the opposite of Phil as I use only acrylics. I've never had a problem with MicroSol damaging the paint, so I guess you're okay either way. And I thought the purpose of using MicroSol was to help soften the decal so that it would form itself better to the surface. I didn't think it took the place of having a glossy surface to place the decal on. But I'm still a newbie so what do I know.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 09:18 AM UTC
As a safe rule of thumb,if you can spare 24 hours between painting and decalling,that should give your paint time to cure.Then I think there should be no problem with decal setting solutions. (++) (++)
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 10:38 AM UTC
Hi,

I've used Micro Set + Sol for decades. No problems with paint, but--rarely--they have messed with the decals. Try a test on a unneeded decasls--like with any decal.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 02:09 PM UTC
If you are confident that the base coat is good enough to keep the decals in place that i wouldnt worry about adding another layer of gloss. I've never used the micro sol set but i use the humbrol satin gloss and it works like a charm on Tamiya acrylic paints.

On a side note, back in the days when i knew little about glossing decals on the models, i used to simply paste my decals directly on matt acrylic paint. Its been 2 - 3 years since i did that and the decals are still firmly stuck on.
siegmund
Visit this Community
Slovenia
entire network: 87 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 07:18 PM UTC
Thanks for the answers, guys.
 _GOTOTOP