_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Singapore / 新加坡
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
StuG IV *Completed
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 06:33 PM UTC
Hi guyz.. here are a few pictures of my Tank Destroyer... (i'm finally getting the hang of taking better pictures)... comments appreciated.

Thanks for looking..
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 390 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 08:52 PM UTC
thats more like it...
its a mean machine u got there...
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 481 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 03:27 AM UTC
Nice looking small mini dio...Love the groundwork O.K now the nit picking part.. (but I hope u take these as constructive critisicm). Same as the Sherman, I think the Stug looks a bit too neat (unless if it has just come out of the factory). Blackwashing the rivets, gaps and joints will do much good. The stug is driving on some red sand, but the tracks looks squeaky clean. Suggest brushing some sand on the tracks. The portion of the track that is not touching any ground shd be sagging due to the suspension (not sure how u can do this). And finally, u can try painting the exhaust and vents above the engine gun metal and add rust and soot. These shd be sooty as the diesel engine produce black smoke that stains very fast..Just my point of view..I guess that's it.. Keep it up!!
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 03:49 PM UTC
Thanks guys... all comments are constructive comments.

I haven't really touched on the weathering part of this tank yet... will get to it as soon as I have the time. Psyfool, how can I go about adding the rust and soot that you suggested? What can I use to achieve the effect.
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 06:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys... all comments are constructive comments.

I haven't really touched on the weathering part of this tank yet... will get to it as soon as I have the time. Psyfool, how can I go about adding the rust and soot that you suggested? What can I use to achieve the effect.

So u have not done the weathering yet..Then some of my comments can be ignored as I'm sure u'll be weathering it quite a bit...Hmmm..Let me see. I think firstly, the exhaust pipe shd not be painted dark yellow. It shd be metallic grey or gun metal. Then u can was it a bit with flat black or pencil sharpenings (the dust u get when u sharpen pencil). The graphite frm the pencil sharpenings shd do fine to resemble carbon from the soot. Then if u hv rust paint, paint the exhaust a bit. Or u can usebrown plus orange pastel chalk to dry brush the exhaust. Trial & error, but shd be able to achieve a decent looking exhaust..
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 06:39 PM UTC
Noted.!
So the exhaust shouldn't be dark yellow... thanks for the tip. Yup... I'll weather it, but not really heavily.
As for the rust effect... I'll leave that out for now. This tanks is supposed to be a tank of the training division. Don't think they'll let it rust a lot... even though I know there's bound to be a little rust.
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 07:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Noted.!
So the exhaust shouldn't be dark yellow... thanks for the tip. Yup... I'll weather it, but not really heavily.
As for the rust effect... I'll leave that out for now. This tanks is supposed to be a tank of the training division. Don't think they'll let it rust a lot... even though I know there's bound to be a little rust.

The exhaust not being painted is just a guess coz I always see the exhaust (either in photos or models) not painted. I guess no point painting them also as they get black very soon.
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 09:57 PM UTC
Hi JM,

Normally, the heat from the exhaust will melt any paint on it and expose the metal beneath. The exhaust rusts easily because of this.

As Psyfool suggested, get some brown paint ( i use Tamiya's Flat Brown) on it, then drybrush it with orange. The orange drybrushing must be subtle else it will be very glaring.

Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 02:12 AM UTC
im a bit lost here after readin...for mine, i color the area ard the exhaust a bit blackish..then dry brushin it with a metal color...my favourite color, aluminium...it kinda brings out the metallic side...juz a suggestion....
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 12:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

im a bit lost here after readin...for mine, i color the area ard the exhaust a bit blackish..then dry brushin it with a metal color...my favourite color, aluminium...it kinda brings out the metallic side...juz a suggestion....

That's what we meant. The exhaust pipe shd be painted in dark metal colors. Not sure abt aluminium color as exhaust pipes are more like made up of steel or iron, which rust easy. Aluminium don't rust...or do they?
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 02:34 PM UTC
Interesting discussion regarding the exhaust.. I think aluminium might not be a "strong" metal though, enough to withstand whatever heat that is produced (that's what I think).. anyway.. I've weathered the tank and I believe I overdid it.. But anyhow... I was trying out some weathering techniques on it. So I didn't really mind how badly weathered it looked now. Will get some pictures posted... together with the exhaust picture... ASAP.
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's what we meant. The exhaust pipe shd be painted in dark metal colors. Not sure abt aluminium color as exhaust pipes are more like made up of steel or iron, which rust easy. Aluminium don't rust...or do they?

actually any metallic color would look fine ...
grafspee16
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 45 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 07:36 PM UTC
Hello JM,

Personal opinion:
Got to work on the decal application a little bit i.e. preparation of the model surface before applying decal and trim off excess decal.
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 07:39 PM UTC
Thanks for your opinion Kim..
There're still tons and tons of modelling techniques that I still have to learn.. I'll keep on improving.. (i hope)
DAK
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 42 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2005 - 12:48 PM UTC
Congratulations on a fine piece of armour building. Everything gotta start somewhere and I think you got the building part dead on... no glue stain visible.. not like mine
I think you are all ready to embark on the next step of achieving realism. But thats always a trial n error period where you may "waste" some of your precious in the process. Its worth it when you finally perfected the method We are fotunate to have experts like Psyfool and others around to guide us through.
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2005 - 01:44 PM UTC
i can say i've wasted a few models b4...
-saab draken
-merkava mk 3
-paladin sp howitzer
-evo7

juz to name a few...
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2005 - 04:31 PM UTC
Thanks Yee.. for your comments..

Yep.. i'll keep improving... Kim made a good point on the decal silvering which I hope to overcome on my next 1/35. (inevitable to loose some kits through the trail & error process.. that's why I use screwed up kits to test techniques..) and post pictures of my builds for you guys to critic.. (do post some pictures of your AFVs too!)

Quoted Text

We are fotunate to have experts like Psyfool and others around to guide us through.

Have to agree.. no doubt! Guys here are great..

DAK
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 42 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2005 - 05:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

do post some pictures of your AFVs too

Sure thing! In fact, I haven't been building a thing for at least 4 years already. Lots of other things in life that put this hobby of mine on a back burner. But would like to pick up something again in the very near future. Probably will start with a smaller kit... maybe a US HUMVEE with TOW launcher kua.
Anyway, will find some time to take pictures of what I have previously done. Stay tune
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2005 - 09:19 PM UTC
Thanks Yee for ur nice comments, but I definitely not an 'Expert' around here. Still learning new stuff & techniques everyday..Btw, welcome to our forum!
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 08:57 PM UTC
Very nice looking Stug you got there JM. Very clean and cant seem to find a hint of glue smudges anywhere.

Apart from the exhaust, i would certainly weather the tank destroyer to match the base you created. In the interest of scale, i personally would use some pigment powder, add some earth brown colours and thinner before applying it to the skirts and especially the tracks.

Overall a very nice build! Great job!
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 02:33 AM UTC
Thanks Jazza...
I'll lay my hands on some pastel chalks for the weathering. I haven't use pastel chalks before and I heard from Psyfool they're easy to use... can't wait to give them a try..

eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 10:49 AM UTC
Where did u get the pastel chalks from?
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 12:34 PM UTC
I know you can get them from Art Friend...

They have lots of different colours to choose from (individual sticks). So you don't have to buy a box of other colours like Green, Blue, etc...

But I think getting Light, Medium, Dark Rust & Earth Brown colours are enough for weathering.
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 01:24 PM UTC
Go on..Give it a try! The first few times it's trial & error, but I think u'll get the hang of it soon enuff.
 _GOTOTOP