_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Desert dust on your Tanks
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 12:41 PM UTC
I am almost done with the final part of the painting process of my Russian T-55/ Tiran 4/5. Now I would like to know during the invasion of afganistan how can I simulate the dust that was on the tanks in the afgan desert?
I am using enamels for my base coat and was woundering if Model Master has a dust color or a color that best represents how dusty the tanks were? I have'nt been real succesful, [god I can't seem to spell tonight] with the technic of chauks or pastels.
So if anyone could help me in finding the paint and or other means to best represent dust, it would be a big help!
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 12:48 PM UTC
There are many good ways to simulate dust. Some that I have used succesfully are: A very thinned buff oversrpay - heavier on the running gear. Washes with oil paints in turpeniod. And Pigments or weathering powders. Best bet is to take a model you really don't care about and practice on that first!

HTH

jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 01:33 PM UTC
I had the same issue with my M1A2 when i first started off and tried a few methods but the best one IMO is using pigment powder to simulate dust.

Mix thinner with white pigment powder. Add Tamiya's (Flat White and Desert Yellow) until you get a lightish yellow. Stir it until it becomes a light watery milkish texture.

Apply it and let it dry. The magic happens when it dries up.

Check out the M1A2 in my gallery and you will see what i mean.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 02:06 PM UTC
Best bet is drybrushing sand colors onto the vehicle lightly. Powdered artist chalks work well also, duted on lightly with a brush.
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 05:05 PM UTC
I don't imagine this is the norm, but I have used ordinary chalk the kind used at school. The crayola brand has 2 nice colours that simulate sand color very well. I put lots on and then blow most of it off what remains I scrub into the paint using a stiff paint brush and it actually adheres quite well to the paint. If you over do it you can "erase" it using a dull coat .
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 05:23 PM UTC
You could also use pastel chalks (earth colors). Just diluted them in alcohol with a little paint ( I use acrylic) in order to adhere to the kit better. Once dry brush of the excess. It works fine for me...

Cheers
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 05:25 PM UTC
You could also use pastel chalks (earth colors). Just diluted them in alcohol with a little paint ( I use acrylic) in order to adhere to the kit better. Once dry brush of the excess. It works fine for me...

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP