_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
PICS: "Eat your heart out, Folks!"
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 05:16 AM UTC
I remember my very first model (f-86 Saberjet) made back when I was a young child... I wonder if my prodigy will remember his? This is my youngest son, Eric (san's shirt - so mom won't kill us if a little paint misses the mark), who modeled and is now painting his first figures... the Airfix Multipose British 8th Army. And yes - while I cut the parts from the sprue, he glued and assembed them himself, and then painted them... a very proud "poppa" moment....

There are a few more photos in my folder gallery under "Eric's First".... looks like another generation of the Magee Platoon has been bitten by the bug!

Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 05:56 AM UTC
That looks familier,Mrs Arthur won't let me paint in a good shirt,says i'm too messy,as if! Full marks to young Magee,could be the youngest member.
Arthur
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 06:31 AM UTC
Keith

Cool I love the look of concentration. Now get him going on some of those new resin offerings of yours :-)

Steve
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 10:32 AM UTC
I know the feeling mate - just keep encouraging him, mine is into music and guitars at present (he is 18) but I did not start modelling again until my dad and I started to build a exhibition Model railroad when i was 28
Good luck
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 02:01 PM UTC
Fantastic. Gotta love it. Be proud
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 03:02 PM UTC
Howdy Keith,

I cannot tell you how much that photo warms my Fatherly heart..........

My son { bonny wee William} is just a litttle older than your own there in the picture. And I must say, the resemblance is surprising to say the least.....
It's truly moments like these that give you pause...and don't fool yourself Keith, the reason your son is even picking up the brush is because he's seen his 'Da' doing the same thing, with probably the same sense of "concentration" on his face:.........too often we, as children, exercise a duality....we admire the things we see our dads doing that place that 'look' in their faces, but at the same time will subconciously focus on other things to try to create our own individuality......but we can never release that desire to tread the same path......
You are indeed fortunate to have this memory, for it is these things that we as Parent's have gifted to us to make the whole ball of wax worth while...........

Thx for sharing your personal moment...

Tread.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 06:45 PM UTC
spect we can see those in september ain arlington

lookin good

reb
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 02:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

spect we can see those in september ain arlington reb

Thanks all for the kind words. Eric represents the future of our hobby.... What makes me most proud is that I didn't ask him if he wanted to model... he simply saw that I had a closet full of kits, asked if he could pick one out to work on (thank goodness it wasn't my brand new Trumpeter LCM3!), and then he got to work. No pushing, no prompting - just "father and son sharing a little time"....

I think I actually will mount one figure on a base with rubber glue (so he can pull it off safely after the show) just to show him off a bit. Of course, I don't let him use an exacto blade, so he doesn't do thing like scrape mold lines, or carve in additional detail - but he did a nice job with very little help in assembling the figures, and the painting was all his. Here is another photo from the same "creative session" - that smug little smile is quite typical of him.

tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 1,430 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 02:40 AM UTC
He is soo Cute. I think it is wonderful that you can share a hobby like this with your child. And it is a wonderful feeling, especially when you see their little faces in the light of their accomplishment.

Keep him going..We want to see more of his work in the future.
Mary (++)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 07:11 AM UTC
Is he the one that pulled down the shelves a few years back? Hope to see you at the show in September.

Steve
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 03:58 PM UTC
Im definitely going to get my son to get into this once he gets bigger. For now he just needs to concentrate on walking. :-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 11:40 PM UTC
Drafting in young apprentices to MMM? :-)
Its great that kids show an interest in modelling. No point forcing them, but encouraging the interest can only be healthy! I wish I had the support and help at his age. My 4 y.o. daughter has to paint when I paint, but I try to keep her with water colours and paper for now. We have cast some Jungle book characters in hobby grout and painted them. They´re still in her bed room, and she´s very proud of them!

At the sweden IPMS open, all kids under a certain age win .... Theres no firsts or anything. They all win a kit and can choose what they want from the sonsored table, so they have something for the next year. Do they do this in the States? Its great seeing them picking their prize and proudly showing their parents and friends.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 11:51 PM UTC
More competition at FOTM I see
 _GOTOTOP