_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Most purchased kits
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 05:53 AM UTC
I was just curious if others shared a tendency to either be a pack-rat when some especially appealing kit comes along, and you buy a couple immediately (Ummm. One out of the box, one superdetailed to the max, one for conversion, one for a rainy day), or if there is a kit you remember fondly from the past and you buy it again (and again, repeat as necessary) just to have one on the shelf at all times.

I'll start:
Pack-rat: 1/72 Revell He-177 (4x in 'inventory', because I got'em dirt cheap)
Revisitied: Airfix 1/76 Matilda. Recently purchased, I've built it at least three times in the past.

Let's hear them!
Mika
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 06:08 AM UTC
I'm a pack rat of a slightly different color - I pack rat overall. I don't purchase multiples of one kit, at least not right then. But I do purchase many kits, because One Day I Will Get To Them All!
No - I don't do multiples.
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 293 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 06:10 AM UTC
For me its Hasegawa's 1/48 Bf 109 series. I believe I have three G-6s, three G-10s, two K-4s and one K-14. I used to have 6 Hasegawa's 1/48 Hellcats, but I sold them off and only built one. As a matter of fact, except for the Bf109s and an unfinished Monogram 1/48 B-17G I was able to sold all my aircraft kits a couple of years ago when I switched to armor modeling.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 10:44 AM UTC
I tend to buy kits in pairs - one for saving in the collection - one for building. In the case of really nice or unusual kits, I'll get an additional one.

Gunnie
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:18 AM UTC
I pick up stuff when it grabs my interest. However a kit a keep rebuilding is the Tamiya GMC truck. Wonderful kit and wonderful possibilities. I aslo seem to keep building the Challenger II kit by Tamiya as well....

Nate
Wisc. USA
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:40 AM UTC
I buy kits whenever I find a great deal or when that really special one comes along and I can't resist...........regardless of price...I have a lot! I am a total packrat when it comes to spare parts.......I never throw away extra parts. I have a spare parts box that is out of this world! And just about every set of directions from every kit I've ever built! I think "Packratism" is in the genes of the modeller! Jeff
mkctanker
Visit this Community
entire network: 36 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 01:01 PM UTC
In my case I'll buy the kit more than once if another variant can come of it like the Stug III by Tamiya(new or old kits) can be build into a regular Stug 75 or a Stug 42 with the 105 cannon. The same is true of alot of the panzer 3 kits out there. Then there are conversion kits that need the same kit.

mkctanker
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 02:53 PM UTC
I'm definitely a pack-rat. I have 110 Tamiya kits sitting in my storage room to build. I only buy one kit. Sometimes, I will lose a part and buy a second kit to get the part. Crazy I know but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. In some cases buying the whole kit is cheaper than buying the extra parts tree from the manufacturer.

I am a sucker for a good deal as well. When Hobby Lobby does their 50% off model sale, I can't help but buy a couple of kits.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 05:04 PM UTC
Definately a ratpacker here. I may buy a single kit now and agian, but I like to pick up two for sure, if I really like the subject. Then there's a part of me that says, yes, it will make a good model, but think of the Dio possibilities. That's when I usually go crazy. Right now, I have 4 Tamiya Pz III Ausf L's, 3 Accurate Miniature B-25's, and I just got 3 of the Tamiya re-issued M3A2 Halftracks. Oh well, nothing left to do now, but build them.

And yes, I both love and hate when somebody like ModelExpo or Hobby Lobby has the 50% off thing going...God help me; because I can't help myself.

Mike
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 06:09 PM UTC
I only have 2 dozen kits. Right now instead of packing up on extra kits I am trying to stock up on aftermarket items for the kits I have. Now that's where you can blow a ton of money I am learning
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 09:31 PM UTC
I have never bought the same kit twice ....... yet!
As I only started modelling about 19 months ago, there is too much of a choice and so many cool things that I want to do. Nearly everything I build ends up in a dio, so that takes away alot of the time, just building kits. I have a collection now of about 15 models to build. And unless something just jumps up and roars buy me, I want to build what I have first. Well thats the dream, but I have bought 2 kits recently since I started this strategy
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 10:33 PM UTC
Guess I'm something of a "pack-rat" when it comes to some kits. I have a "thing" for the old Bandai 1/48 vehicles, so I tended to pick them up whenever possable.
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 202 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:34 PM UTC
I've never gone out and bought a load of models at the same time, but over the years I've bought loads of Tamiya SdKfz 250 and SdKfz 251 halftracks. (do these look cool or what??)

I was planning on doing all the versions at one point, I managed to do about 6 versions of 250 in Alt (stock body) and Neu (scratch biult) body versions and 10 versions of 251 and scrtach built 2 SdKfz 11's using the 251 chassis (one with flat bed and cargo box easyish' and the other a gun limber, the rear was a pain in the rear, getting all those curves to blend in without showing.) and how many rivets on the side???

One thing I haven't done yet with the 251 is to scratch build the Ausf A and B versions yet.

Oh and a shed load of PzKpfw IV's from Italeri and Tamiya.

In my younger years I've made squadrons of spitfires in Brown/Green and Grey/Green camo, short wing versions, the lot excpet seafire and bubble canopy. All in 1/72nd Airfix and Matchbox .

That's about it for doing multiples......................
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:59 PM UTC
Pack rat all the way. Buy and save ain't noway I will ever finish them if all require Pe and addons. (:-)
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 01:02 AM UTC
Big time packrat here. I have well over 700 Automotive kits stashed away, and a lot of aircraft too. My worst sins are

Accurate Miniatures Mustangs. About a half dozen. (I don't even build 1/48 scale, they were just such great kits!)

Hasegawa P-47 Thunderbolts. You can never have too many "Jugs" in your collection.
Hasegawa OV-10 Broncos. One for a USAF, and one for Marines...
Four Frogfoots... (Frogfeet??) Why do I need four of these?
Three A-37 Dragonflies. (I got a bonus at work right during the middle of the "Ground Attack" phase of my hobby)
Enough Sabres, and Migs to recreate the whole Korean Conflict... About a dozen of each.

Kits I keep coming back to.
Revell/Monogram TBD-1 I built one as a kid, and it is just a cool looking airplane.

Kits that keep coming back to me;
Revell's PT-109 (1/72) I got one as a gift when I was a kid. Built it, with about three tubes of glue! Now I got another one as a gift this year. It will be my next build. (Only a half tube of glue this time!)

I got hooked up with a new computer, and internet account, using the excuse that I was going to get on E-bay, and thin down my excess kits. The score so far- Kits sold:6 Kits purchased: 114. I also have similar results going to model shows and swap meets. I am even worse now that I cast my own resin. I am supposed to sell it to help defray the costs of my hobby, but I end up trading it for more kits!

The absolute worst kit for me, though is Revell's 1/25 series of '32 Ford street rods. I own sixteen of them, along with eleven built ones! I know they're not military, but they are addictive.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 01:17 AM UTC
In the last 6 years since I got back into the hobby in a serious way, My collection of kits has gone from about 11 to 200+. these are about half armour and half figures (I'll probably only build one figure out of each set) there is also agroup of 30+ resin conversions. If there is one kit I seem to buy most often these days are Acsdemy M113 Zeldas and Italeiri M4a1 Sherman. I never seem to have enough of either.

Josh
aKA shiryon ( had to try it)
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 01:28 AM UTC
Can't have enough Jeeps! All the Italeri variants and the newer Tamiya kits are the best. If I can get 'em cheap, I pick 'em up. They're always great in a dio and "civilians" recognize it. For instance, the average Joe off the street may not have a clue that the M10 tank destroyer ever existed, but if you park a venerable jeep next to it, it places the M10 in context.

I also love the fact that there are countless variants of the jeep and so many different configurations -- maybe more than the Sherman.

I've also gone through at least a dozen Tamiya M4A3 kits, as well as Italeri M32 and Kangaroo kits, that I have parted-out for conversions.

Italeri and Tamiya deuce-and-a-halfs are also worth collecting for their conversion possibilities.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 02:43 AM UTC
The only kits I've bought more than one of at a time was the M-151 (Tamiya/Academy) when I was doing my "pack of MUTTS" which would up with 14 0r 15 variants. I also have 2-3 Tamiya M-113A1 Fire Support. These were bought cheap for conversion purposes, though now that I have the A2 version, one will likely br built as a companion. Then there are the multiple F-5x and A-4x kits that will be done as a major project on Aggressor aircraft. And all the F-4Ux kits to document the vaiants of the Corsair family. And the Humvees...
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 02:56 AM UTC
(I REALLY LIKE THIS NEW AVITAR) Mean while: I'm not so much a pack-rat as a fan of the Tamiya Abrams M1A1 and the Tiger Tank. I've built at least three of both. Ohter kits I built tend to be favorites as well. BUT I have not built so many of them. And I tend to buy more that I can quickly build. One on deck and at least 7 or 8 waiting to be built.

DAGGER-1
 _GOTOTOP