_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Model selection
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 146 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 06:02 AM UTC
Is it just me or does it take you guys DAYS to figure out what model to do next? I can usually narrow it down to about 5 choices after the first day or so. Anyone else have this affliction too?
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 255 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 06:08 AM UTC
I seem to have the same problem. I was usually overcome by the fear that I might loose interest in the model even before I start.....
The airbrushing used to scare me too, but my skills have improved a lot over the years (and still improving with every model) and that is less of an issue now. What I fear now is not having enough references to make an accurate model
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 06:12 AM UTC
sure is amazing how fast your skills improve. I took a look at some of the models I have done over the years and just ask myself, "You idiot, why did you do that in such a stupid way." That is the great thing about this hobby, progressive improvement.....
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 06:16 AM UTC
I usually rotate subjects by class. If I do a sci-fi, I'll do a 1/72nd plane next. When I do a plane, I'll do armor or automotive. After that, it's back to sci-fi. By the time I'm done building one model, I'm usually sick of whatever it is I'm building, therefore a change in category is needed. (hey, I finally used a smiley other than Mr. blue frown)

YodaMan

PS But you're right, selection within categories is pretty tough
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 98 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 06:57 AM UTC
Well since I just got back into the swing of things after not modelling for years, it's all new again.
At the moment it's...tanks, tanks and more tanks. The only choice I have to make is what type of tank.
I'm sure that one day that will change and I'll try something else, but for now as long as there are tank models available, I'm happy.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 07:48 AM UTC
I usually have several kits going at the same time. Since my airbrushing time is limited to weekends, I build subassemblies hoping that I can "batch paint" them on the weekends.
As far as selecting what to build next, usually I win a kit for some off-the-wall reason and then will start that kit
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 07:58 AM UTC
Rob, I was just about to say the exact same thing (your first sentence)about working on several models at the same time. I also do the 'sub-assembly' thing.
It's the last sentence I have trouble with............grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Just kidding, lol.

Tread.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 08:35 AM UTC
Guys,
I´m a little different, I just build one model by time, and I just pick what was in the interest (for me! :-) ) by the moment. Sometimes I chose cos it will that reference book I just bought, and sometimes jsut for initial inspiration. No rules!
HTH
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 08:40 AM UTC
Absolutely :-) The more kits you have in the immediate vicinity - the longer the decision.

Gunnie
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 08:43 AM UTC
I too have a couple of kits going at once. Thank goodness I can use the AB at any time though. And with a limited stash of kits (a couple on the way) my choices aren't so difficult.
I will say though, if I had a collection of unbuilts...I'd be lost with what to do next...just for a little while.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 08:47 AM UTC
Like the Game, not having built a model in over 3 years, lately it's been tanks and more tanks. And I've been having fun with them and learning alot too. I still have an unfinish Douglas A20 and a F4U corsair waiting in the wings. Pardon the pun. I also just built a base for my first diorama in 20 years. But lately if I am not online at Armorama.com, I am working on my bathroom remodel, just finished laying the new floor tonight. For some reason my wife thinks the bathroom is more important than my battle of the bulge diorama.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 04:48 PM UTC
I have all kinds of models I want to build, but by the time I get done doing the research n stuff I get hooked on a different model...I have no problems deciding which model to make I just don't make any of them
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 06:09 PM UTC
I figure if I do 5 models a year, I have enough kits to last me 25 years LOL
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 12:57 PM UTC
I read a lot of first person history books. You know, like the LRP books and Charlie Beckworth's book. Right now I reading a book about a SF Capt working in MACV SOG in 1969. So, I'm going to start my H-34 kit, and do it as a VAF ship used to support SOG.
I tend to build what I'm reading about at the moment.
Chuck
 _GOTOTOP