TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Flight of the Phoenix, 1st one is Awesome
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:55 PM UTC
I bought the original "Flight of the Phoenix" last night on DVD. Jimmy Stewart is in his prime. Its really an intense movie. I highly reccomend it. I haven't see the newest one, but I imagine it sucks.

~Chip
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 01:03 PM UTC
The second one doesn't really suck but it doesn't hold a candle to the original. I remember seeing that movie when I was little.
Stewart, Attenbourough, Kennedy.

What more can you ask for.

Shaun
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 01:18 PM UTC
You're absolutely right, I've watched that movie twice and its just great. I canit say I agree with keenans opinion on the second one, i thought the new one did a good job at redoing the old one with modern technology, with some interesting modern "twists".
One thing thats cool, the pheonix in the second one is an R/C model.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 01:30 AM UTC
I liked them both for different reasons. The original is great. "Q"
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 03:17 AM UTC
I haven't seen the remake either, though I highly doubt I'd be able to watch it without being too critical. The original is a great movie. Jimmy Stewart is by far my favorite actor, just ask my wife and kids. I don't care how many times I've seen a Jimmy Stewart movie, if one is on TV I'm likely to watch it again. I remember vividly being sent to bed at 10:00 as a kid half way through F.O.T.P. because is was on a school night. First time I finally got to see the Phoenix fly was fantastic. That was a real plane! The guy who flew it, Paul Mantz, was a legendary film stunt pilot. If the movie had flying in it chances are Mantz was a pilot in it. He flew the plane fine for one shot, but the director wanted another. The second time he crashed and was killed.

I just can't see how Hollywood could possibly think they could surpass this great movie, and if you can't make it better, why make it at all?

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 07:15 AM UTC
Because too many people don't know their past !... Too many remakes of both old classic movies and rock songs and most of the time it is worse. It's amazing when a kid discovers the original and makes comments like Chip did. it opens up the opportunity for great discussions and bonding. Had one of my scouts discover the Doors last year. We were camping and he and I stayed up for hours me telling him about other great rock from the era. Gave him a list. Now he knows Hendrix, Purple, Cream, and Zeppelin and that Mr. Joyce is really cool !