TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
The Movie "The Final Countdown"
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 03:58 AM UTC
Ok, I have seen this movie some 30 times and I still can not seem to figure it out. How did commander Owen be in the limo at the beginning of the movie and at the end of the movie he is stranded on an island. Can anyone please tell me what this movie is all about besides the uss nimitz carrier giong back in time?
Tigercat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 04:37 AM UTC
Commander Owen was stuck on an island in 1941 while the Nimitz returns to the present. IMHO the best part of the movie is the depiction of the carrier air wing. Though I wonder why the Nimitz air wing carried out an alpha strike against the Japanese fleet instead of nuking it.

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 05:08 AM UTC
It's been a while since I've seen it but you don't actually see Commander Owen at the beginning. They just say it's some VIP or something like that. I guess when the Nimitz returns to the present Commander Owen knew that a VIP was supposed to be there and made sure he was the VIP.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 05:33 AM UTC
Owen gets trapped on the island in 1941 with1980 knowledge, things to provide inspiration, palces to invest, when to divest, where to place bets. With that knowledge, he becomes a wealthy man, and he greats the Katherine Ross character, for whom only a few days have passed.
The Nimitz chooses not to attack the Japanese fleet so as not to alter history.
Some of the possible consequences...no declaration of war on Japan, no declaration of war by Germany, the US remains in its quasi neutral position...Britain continues to struggle as isolationism grips the US... there is no impetus for Project Manhattan while Germany develops the bomb.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 06:50 AM UTC
I beg to differ AJ... The Nimitz DID choose to attack. The return of the time warp/ space hole caused them to recall the airwing after an unsuccessful attempt to run away from the phenomina. Of course your remarks about what CMDR Owen did are dead on. He was "credited" with many of the designs that went into construction of the Nimitz. This is one of my all time favorite movies combining my two favorite subjects, Pearl Harbor and time travel. If I could time travel this is the first place I would go.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 07:14 AM UTC
I was thinking about it after I wrote the post and you are right, it was the time storm that forced them back.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 10:55 AM UTC
All is explained by the Martin Sheen character as part of the classic paradox theory..etc etc etc.

I liked it for the in flight footage.

Wonder if he invested in Apple or Microsoft?
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 04:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wonder if he invested in Apple or Microsoft?

Maybe both? :-) $$$$cha-ching$$$$
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 08:43 AM UTC
As old as that movie is I would bet he bought IBM, Xerox, McDonalds, and Coca Cola. M$ and Apple wouldn't have been around long enough to make him that wealthy for so long.
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 324 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 09:14 AM UTC
I wonder what would happen if we could go back to may 10th 1940 and stop the German invasion of Holland, Belgium and France dead in it's tracks right there and then.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 12:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder what would happen if we could go back to may 10th 1940 and stop the German invasion of Holland, Belgium and France dead in it's tracks right there and then.

There'd probably have been a Russo Japanese alliance. Japan guarding and expanding in the east and in China/Indo China and Russia expanding further into Europe. The US is again drawn into the fight at Pearl, but has a much larger opponent in the Soviet Union in Europe. Since this is before Barbarossa, there's be no interest on Stalin's part to form an alliance with Great Britain and the US.
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 08:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There'd probably have been a Russo Japanese alliance. Japan guarding and expanding in the east and in China/Indo China and Russia expanding further into Europe. The US is again drawn into the fight at Pearl, but has a much larger opponent in the Soviet Union in Europe. Since this is before Barbarossa, there's be no interest on Stalin's part to form an alliance with Great Britain and the US.

Al, in case you didn't notice: there is a nice Dutch flag near my name, and it isn't there for nothing

The present day Dutch army, with Leopard 2A6 armor and Pzh 2000 howitzers and YPR armored vehicles could stop the German army easily. Add to that the F16s of the Dutch airforce, and you'd have a real massacre in the air aswell.

I am sure the Belgians and French would love to stop the German invasion aswell, and perhaps the British would love to join too, and heck.. why not invite Germany aswell, to stop a black page in their history.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The present day Dutch army, with Leopard 2A6 armor and Pzh 2000 howitzers and YPR armored vehicles could stop the German army easily. Add to that the F16s of the Dutch airforce, and you'd have a real massacre in the air aswell.

I see, you mean with current weaponry vs. 1940 German stuff...that's a differnt scenario. I was thinking more along the lines of stopping Germany with contemporaty means.
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 - 04:10 AM UTC
oh, even that could be done if necessary.. just borrow some russian t 34's and british spits... off course, anyone who goes back in time knows they're coming
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 - 04:36 AM UTC
Why even bother to massacre? Since we probably know where Hitler and his generals would be we could just use a laser guided bomb and take him out once and for all, knock out a few command and communications. That would probably cause enough confusing and chaos among the German troops who were much more centralized in command structure.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 - 04:41 AM UTC
Call this guy, go back in time and whack Adolph's mom with a 40 watt pulse rifle...

Shaun
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 05:08 AM UTC
Okay, what are the odds? I just found a link that I think is really funny and clever. "The Final Countdown in 1/350th Scale."

Even topical.

Shaun

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/dio/Final_Countdown/720-dl/index.html
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 05:44 AM UTC
Thanks for both those posts Shaun. The "Terminator" just cracked me up and I enjoyed the slide show.