_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Long Term Effects of future floor wax
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 08:27 PM UTC
This was reported on the Stockholm IPMS homepage today. It is a thread from a site called Hobby Heaven. It talks about the long term effects of floor waxes on models. Thought some of you guys might be interested.

http://www.modelcarkits.com/cgi-bin/webbbs/board.cgi?read=192921
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 09:13 PM UTC
Hi Plastic,

Hmmm interesting to read, but I don't think that armor builders need to worry.
When car-builders use future then they are almost on the end of their painting work (they use is to get a nice shine on the model). While we (well I do) use it mainly to seal my decals in. after that there is still a lot of weathering and dusting to do, so I am not to afraid of discoloring.

Just my 2 cents

#:-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2002 - 02:37 AM UTC
I actually never thought about it like that. Funny how two people can read the same thing and see something different! Anyway, somebody somewhere might think twice about this info.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2002 - 10:41 AM UTC
You know, it makes sense. It's that yellow wax buildup Mary Hartman was always obsessing over.
I agree that those who use it for decal warki probably have nothing to worry about. I plan to build a Ford truck snow plow this winter and my plan was to paint with flat enamel and use Future for the gloss coat. Maybe I'll reconsider.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 12:25 PM UTC
I read all the posts and someone down toward the bottom said this only happens if you put it on to thick. I can see that being the case with cars pretty easy since they are trying to build up a great shine. Someone else had a car over 20 years old painted with future that was also on top of white paint and it still looked perfect.
I guess I will find out in about 10 mroe years if I have ever put it on to thick.
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 10:19 PM UTC
You can never entirely get rid of the yellowing problem, unless any of you guys find a way to make the Sun stop producing ultraviolet radiation.....
 _GOTOTOP