_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Dremel power tool.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 07:49 AM UTC
I got some B-day money and am thinking of picking up one of these with it. I am wondering if anyone has an opinion as to wether it is worth it or not, which brand to buy, where to buy it, what parts I should get or not waste my time with etc. thanks for any help
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 07:55 AM UTC
My only input Drew, (and I may get some flak here) is to get a variable speed unit. Maybe it's just me, but that 'either on or off' thing is just FUBAR as far as I'm concerned.
Maybe it's my weak hands

Tread.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 08:20 AM UTC
Andrew, I own the model #395 which is a variable speed corded one. It ranges from 5000 - 35000 rpms. I also have the #221, which is the foot control that varies the speed from 0 - to the max speed. I got it because, if you're not aware of this, if you are cutting or sanding any plastic, the speed on the slowest setting is still too high. It will melt the plastic if you're not careful. With the foot control thingie, you have total control of it's speed...so you don't "melt" it.

Just do a web search for dremil power tools...there are alot of places out there where you can get one. Just shop around for the best price. Dremil has their own site too. I would go to their site first so you can see their different models.

Here's Dremil's site to get you started:

http://www.dremel.com/

:-)
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 10:31 AM UTC
Andrew,
I had the same choice late last year. After looking around I decided on the Multipro 770 Cordless. Two speeds 7500 and 15,000rpm. It sounds fast, but the 7500 is slow enough for most cutting (I don't try to grind plastic), and both speeds are good for cutting and sanding resin. Pickup an extra battery for it and you are good to go. But the main thing is to check around and get what you like. The preference for motortools is like the preference for airbrushes.
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 98 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 10:35 AM UTC
This post has me thinking of buying one now :-)
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 10:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This post has me thinking of buying one now

Let's keep the economy going. I did my bit this weekend, added another model to the stash. I picked up the Italeri M923A1 Bigfoot. I figure some day I might get tired of tracks. LOL
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
entire network: 80 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 10:25 PM UTC
For modeling, I mostly use my rechargeable Dremel MiniMite 750. It isn't gutsy enough to do general-purpose household chores or cut wood and metal, but it's great on plastic. When you put in a fresh battery, the nominal low-end speed is 5000rpm. However, after a few minutes of use -- or a few days off the charger with no use -- it drops even lower. This makes it easier to use on plastic without causing melting. You can even use it as a pin-vise on steroids if you're careful.

If I could have only one Dremel, it would still be my plug in, variable speed model 395 (or its more recent equivalent). Given that most of the tooling (the bits, anyway) fit both machines, the MiniMite is a great and inexpensive addition.

-Neil
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 11:59 AM UTC
Kencelot,

I went to the web sight and didn't see anything on the foot control. I am going to look some more but thought you may be able to answer a question for me. Is there a specific model that comes with the foot control or is it a seperate item you buy that will work with most of the dremel tools? If I can control the speed and keep it that slow with the foot option it is something I want for sure. I am going to head back to dremels web sight and try and find something on it, but would love to hear more from you on how well the foot control works. Thanks for the help, and congrats on the promotion :-)
Barkmann
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 16 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 12:12 PM UTC
Mine is sold by MicroMark....they have a site web and here is the address www.micromark.com.

MicroMark Power Drill

MicroMark Transformer

I hope it may help you to make a choice.....with the transformer you can drill at very low RPM!!!

Regards...
 _GOTOTOP