_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Attempt at CDN Figures
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2005 - 05:31 PM UTC
These are my attempt at making CDN troops.They are Verlinden US troops with Ultracast heads,DML weapons(to look like the C7) and Maple Leaf Models butt pack and gas mask carrier.The canteen carrier is my attempt to make the CDN covered carrier it came out so so.

They are made up to look like MPs in Germany directing traffic.They will be part of a dio stopping cars to allow a track (M113 or Lynx) to cross.

Comments welcome but ,I'm not a figure painter so be gentle on me!

They are not totally done as they will need some ground colour on them but that will be done as I paint the dio.
entire network: 4,303 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2005 - 08:15 PM UTC
Hi Jim,

Well, I don't know much about Canadian uniforms, so I have no comments on that. But I have to say I like the figures very much. Specially the way they look; you can't mess around with those guys!
Also the Canadian insigna on the shoulders and the red barrets look very convincing and contrast great with the uniforms.
Skin colour is just fine, not overdone and not too flat. I like it this way.
I only think they need eyes, (but that can be the picture) and some extra colour on the lips (but not to much).

Hey, why don't you join the join the MP! Campaign?. I think it makes a great entry and I love to have you on board!
Looking forward on the dio!

Paul

DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 04:59 AM UTC
Thanx Paul

Now that you pointed out the eyes I know there was something missing. I have tried oils for flesh in the past but could never get it to work.All I use now is Testors Matt Light Tan washed with Tamiya Red Brown to tint the base then dry brush with the Testors again.

I'll think about the Campaign as I'm in four or five now.

Jim
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 08:58 AM UTC
Jim

Looking good so far...I think you've even matched the colour of the meathead's berets and the totem pole badge. (I noticed you made it a bit in the past so as not to have to try the CADPAT :-) ) Their eyes are probably glazed over after a long night in the local gasthof.

I'm not up on the latest web gear, but the canteen cover looks excellent, gas mask case looks real close, but I don't see any rank insignia. IIRK, MPs were at least PL4 after graduating from CFSIS.
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 09:09 AM UTC
HI

They are better than my feeble attempts:-)

The only comment I have is really beyond your control. The berets are somewhat oversized. They look very WWII British as opposed to the smaller ones we now wear.

Regardless, I look fwd to seeing the finished result.

Tom
RayW
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 848 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 09:15 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

They look good, try a little lighter dry brush on the uniforms to bring out some of the detail. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished dio.

Cheers

Ray
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,009 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 09:49 AM UTC
Hi Jim,
You have done a really nice job from what I can see. Well done. I have a few small nit picks for you, I hope you dont mind. First the Canteen cover looks good, but it is universally worn on the right hand side the bayonet and frog as well as KFS holder go on the Left side. Also MP's in Combats usually have a brassard on the left arm that says
Military
Police
Militaire
One other small thing is the pocket buttons, they show on both the combat shirt and pants pockets. Keep up the great work JIm I can almost see the thunder chicken on thier cap badges LOL.
Cheers,
Bryan
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 4,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 01:55 PM UTC
Jim,
Your figures are coming along great.

You've done a great job for the late 80's /early 90's look.

You should try to include the lollipop looking traffic control wand used in Germany.
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 03:46 PM UTC
Thanx for being so gentle.

Dave,as for the rank I was thinking of it being on the shoulder epaulet under the webbing. But my time frame maybe off.I'm not sure the years we flip floped from the arm to up top and back.When I was in we had them up top.('84-'89)

Tom,after looking around I did find some modern berets but had already put these heads on.

Bryan,I hope no one would notice the left side canteen!The only reason it is there is his weapon won't fit on his shoulder.

Jason,the lollipop does it differ from a WW2 one?I only have one pic of the "modern" one but it is laying flat and the face of it can't be seen.

Ray,thanx for the pointer.

Jim
RayW
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 848 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 06:46 AM UTC
Hi There,

Just a note about the rank, it wouldn't be on the shoulder but on the sleeve, by the time MP's went back to the red beret rank in the sleeve was the norm, unless an air force guys showed up in combats

Cheers

Ray
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 09:19 AM UTC
Thanx Ray,I'll work on giving them some rank.Any suggestions ie Cpl,Mcpl,Sgt?

Jim
 _GOTOTOP