Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
something totaly unrelated to modeling
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 09:33 AM UTC
HELP,

I need to know if someone of this great community is a cell phone technician and by any chance familiar with the Qtek S100????

Last week I dropped it in the swimming pool while cleaning the pool

I opened her up and let her dry.

To my surprise it worked again, but I have a water stain on my touchscreen.

last weekend i noticed that my screen lost some of its bright color and the screen looked as if the resolution has changed (best described as a PC screen that normally runs on 1024 res suddenly switches to 800x600 res)

I contacted several dealers but the result was the same: the pda is a total loss because of corrosion and it would not be possible to fix it (they could but can't guaranty anything about how long the mobile would work)

Not willing to give up (plus the fact that I paid +500 Euros for it) I opened her up again simply to find no corrosion or oxidation of any kind, only the stain on my touchscreen staid.

Again I called the dealers and again they told me that fixing it is no option, because the touchscreen itself cost about 300 Euros without any guarantee that is will work

Now, paining another 300 Euros is not an option for me, so I need to make the best of it

Is there anybody who has any tips or ideas on how to dry the touchscreen ASAP?

Here is a image if the disassembled screen

Tnx
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 10:50 AM UTC
Ronny,
Sorry to hear about this. I hope you find a way to get it working again.

Jim
Robster
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
entire network: 386 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 11:53 AM UTC
The water is under the plastic screen if possible you have to remove it and get it dry. And I don't think you can fix the brightness and resolution the screen is allready to much damaged.

Grtz Rob!
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 05:16 PM UTC
Rob,

I can't remove the plastic, because it has a lot of connection wires (touchscreen)
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 06:13 PM UTC
You might used compressed air to dry it. I wouldn't suggest more than 15-20 PSI.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 06:23 PM UTC
Hey Ron found this while looking around the net for your problem...Just maybe

Greetings,
I had to work in the snow today and the touch screen got wet. After a while it quit working. The screen was on and looked good, but the touch thing wasn't working. I had been wipping it off repeatedly but apparently not good enough. I removed the screen protector and there was water between the protector and the touchscreen. I wipped both dry but to not avail. I used a hair drier to try to dry it out. NO go. I then checked the web and this site and couldn't find a similar experience. So I just had to think. Since I thought the touchscreen was some kind of bilayerd film and there might be water between the films just like there was between the screen protector and the top of the touch screen, I figured the hair dryer couldn't get to it because of the capillary attraction. So ...(god I am smart) I though I could squegee the water to the base of the screen by massaging the screen downward. DAMN - it worked.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 07:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Since I thought the touchscreen was some kind of bilayerd film

Joe,

I found this also, but my touchscreen is no film but sensitive glass, so squeezing it is no option

but tnx for looking