_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How do you explain your hobby?
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 07:27 AM UTC
OK, some of the discussions on the Current Events forum got me to thinking about something.

In this Politically Correct world we live in today, do you keep your hobby of building military vehicles (armor, planes, figures, whatever) to yourself.

OK, I know our family, signifigant others and maybe close friends are probably aware of how we spend some free-time, but would you let someone at work in on your hobby?

Personally, I don't like to let co-workers or casual friends know about building armor. Not that I'm embarassed about it, but because it has to do with the military people may think its wierd.

Now, I don't build as much as a lot of you. I go slow and way do only a few kits a year and try to go all-out on them. Still, I don't like to advertise it.

Anyone else feel this way?

Steve
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 07:46 AM UTC
To be perfectly honest, I don't give a darn what others think of it, at work or elsewhere.
There's a magazine shop just around the corner form our field office that I purchase a few mags from each month. I buy them and bring them into the office to read for those rainy days. I've gotten several comments ranging from: " I thought only kids did that" to "Wow, that's pretty cool".
I figure it sure beats drinking away time and money, like some of them do, which they so freely discuss. Besides, a new guy there, who saw me reading a model mag, told me of a hobby store called "RC Hobbies", that I never would have driven out of my way to because of it's name "RC". The store is loaded with static models too!!
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 07:50 AM UTC
If it comes up or seems relevent I mention it. Some people are interested and some think it is childish (at least that's the vibe I get). As far as people thinking military things are weird, my 23 1/2 years of service is something I wear with pride. People are free to think what they like. After all, that's why we serve.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 07:51 AM UTC
Try telling people your a hunter. Better yet mention shooting sports or collecting guns, most don't understand and I'm in Oklahoma.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 07:59 AM UTC
If they ask - I tell them. If not I don't. In my line of work I need to be aware of who I am talking to and I might not feel it appropriate to divulge the subject matter or I'll focus on other subject I've built. I also don't hide it in 'my' office or 'my' conversations.
Salt6 - Gotta admit I'd rather build models than be a sport shooter. Touchie subject.
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 08:20 AM UTC
Hey Steve,

I agree with Scott, "...If they ask - I tell them. If not I don't. ....". Basic idea that I have as I live in the extreme left California. If I tout this or the other hobbies I have, I am sure that someone will get on to me. I have enough looks when I take the gun cases out to the car, or I ride on down the street on one of the two scooters I have (and yes, loud pipes saves lives).

Dave
Kraftstoff
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 93 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 10:11 AM UTC
Hi all,
I think the vast majority see the hobby as a bit on the far side....maybe not as far as the guys who collect Nazi decorations (I do that among other militaria interests)....and for sure not as far as the Wehrmacht / Waffen-SS re-enactors in the US (never understood that...but I don't condemn it)...but to each his own....somehow I / We gravitated to the pull of styrene...I used to care that my collecting / building had some intellectual pretence but not anymore....hey sometimes (mostly) it's fun
BUILD ON!
Dave
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 10:18 AM UTC
Steve , I know how you feel. I'm a hunter in Western NYS. Everyone I know got AT LEAST 2 antlerlees tags. I use the argument of would you rather total your car? (Seems to work)

Matt

Oh I don't give a crap what other people think about MY hobbies either.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 12:36 PM UTC
I'm in human services, you don't get more politically correct than that. I have pictures of some of my figures on the wall of my cubicle and a Civil War calendar next to them. I'm often running a slide show of model pics on my laptop. When people notice, they quickly notice the detali and realism in these. mabe it helps that most of the office is women and several of the figures are Andrea movie characters, Clint Eastwood, kevin Kostner, Robert Redford, and Mel Gibson. And one of the pics is an 8X10 of Warriors "American Heroes" vignette the paper ran in advance of last year's contest.
I further explain that I work on high quality detailed replicas of various historical equipment and that a figure can take 10-20 houors and other kits may take much longer.
No excuses at all. I think of myself as a historian and something of an artist. My work shows that and that's that.
I also make no bones about belonging to a club and that several of us traveled half way down the coast to the Nationals for a contest.
I guess what I'm saying is I'm proud of the work I do and I think that engenders respect even from those who don't fully understand it.
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 01:07 PM UTC
Not a problem where I work. My tower CPU looks like the deck of an aircraft carrier because there's a Corsair and a Tomcat parked on top of it. A Humvee is parked on top of my monitor and Stitch is perched on the roof. My boss has an unbuilt 1/35 Huey and he might let me take it home and build it for him. My browser is pegged to Armorama.com. Model making here is more of an art form and a creative outlet. It does not necessarily make anyone a war freak.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 01:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In this Politically Correct world we live in today, do you keep your hobby of building military vehicles (armor, planes, figures, whatever) to yourself?

First off: if someone's gonna whine that I build models of military vehicles, that's their problem, not mine!
Second: No one ever cares about my hobbies, so it's kind of a "Don't ask, don't tell" thing going on...

YodaMan
Tanks46
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 113 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 01:53 PM UTC
I have 20.5 yrs in the USCG (retired). I was in operations. I taught weapons and tactics (for boardings). I am now a police detective in New Jersey across from NYC. I am a Range Master, armorer, and a entry team leader. I own two weapons besides my duty weapon one of which is a rifle (Marlin 22). I am not a "gun nut" as we say. I am a teacher. I don't hunt and rarely target shoot; although I shoot and teach often. Frankly a could give a rats butt what anyone thinks about my hobby. My friends, mostly police officers, rib me about it but also respect me for my knowledge of history particularly WW2 and once the kidding dies down actually will start asking questions about those models displayed from armor, to battleships, to fighters. I use to wargame; and have a very large reference and military history library. The first questions asked are did I build all those models; and have I read all the books (not counting the law enforcement books). I answer yes to both and generally that leads to further conversation. I don't believe in politcal correctness. I display my hobby, military and police service with pride. The rest can all go to Hell! Tanks46 Butch Cassidy.

PS: When anyone, other than a friend, asks I tell them what I do and about my ...our hobby.

Quoted Text

No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full.

PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 02:00 PM UTC
When people do ask, I always try to point out that the model I build, and all of build, really aren't what we did as kids. For the layperson I generally preface as historically accurate militiary vehicles or figures. Frankly I think it's harder explaning to people that you build figures as GI Joe is what usually comes to their mind.
I find once you show people the stuff they have a better undertsaning of what you're talking about. Those who KNOW what they are looking at - even if they don't builders - (i.e. history buffs) tend to be pretty impressed with the accuracy.
I still think most people think of models as lighter fluid and BB gun fodder.......
Geeze, I feel sorry for other shooters out there, at least many residents in Wisconsin are pretty tolerant of gun owners. I shoot for fun (target, trap, Sporting clays), don't hunt, but I haven't run into any of the hassles it sounds like some of you other guys have....

Nate
Wisc. USA

clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 02:44 PM UTC
Well I don't wear it on my sleve, no bumper stickers or anything like that. If someone sees something I built I tell them if they show an interest. I have a couple of wingie things hanging in my classroom (a B-36, you can't miss that one!) so that can help spark a question.

Coop
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 02:45 PM UTC
Some people really have no comment, others do. I stress the fact that I'm a quasi-Military Historian, and I build to replicate history the best way that I can. I also mention that scale modeling has come a long way since I/they were kids. No longer toys, and the detail and accuracy points are emphisized (sp) tremendously in my description of *my* hobby.

Most are simply amazed at the detail, the painting, the display base and the fact that I can sit on my duff for hours on end building a model.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 02:55 PM UTC
It's MY hobby, therefore: I don't explain it, I just enjoy it.

Mike

Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 06:33 PM UTC
For me itīs just another field of art and (re)creation. Another illustration method, should I say! I like to visualize things, thatīs what I do for living too. Working with a computer lacks the handicraft aspect and itīs immaterial.
Iīm interested in war subjects because I would like to understand a bit about what my grandfatherīs age group went through and itīs a significant part of our history. The more I read and build the more Iīm against war and violence.
I talk a lot and freely about everything thatīs important to me. In most cases I get to know people by telling about my own interests and anxieties. Makes it easier for them to share things with me after that I guess...All the people I know have respect for modelling and telling some technical bits from here and there only increases it. Of course, some people have the "boys will be boys" -attitude but I like that too. Iīm not too thrilled by the idea of growing up...

And yes, modelling is totally different from childplay and getting a Matchbox Spitfire for your 7th birthday!

Toni
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 12:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To be perfectly honest, I don't give a darn what others think of it, at work or elsewhere.
There's a magazine shop just around the corner form our field office that I purchase a few mags from each month. I buy them and bring them into the office to read for those rainy days. I've gotten several comments ranging from: " I thought only kids did that" to "Wow, that's pretty cool".
I figure it sure beats drinking away time and money, like some of them do, which they so freely discuss. Besides, a new guy there, who saw me reading a model mag, told me of a hobby store called "RC Hobbies", that I never would have driven out of my way to because of it's name "RC". The store is loaded with static models too!!

totaly agree with you my time my money will do what I want with it. Also collect fossils and arrowheads. Lot of rain down in ole Florida lately some you must be getting a lot of reading done Ken. :-)
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 01:12 AM UTC
While I don't shove my hibby in peoples faces, I do display it proudly in bought for purpose cabinets. Having been a soldier and seen war I don't believe I'm pushing war. If old sailing ships with cannons is okk so is armour. The only question thats ever gotten a little hard for me was building German armor from WW2 And while I took a hiatus from it when my pop saw the swastikas on had a cow(He was a survivor and lost 4 sisters and a mother in the camps) I built the occasional Pz4 and dont remember how many of that revell? 8wheeled armored car. I uild because I enjoy it and it relaxes me after the daily grind(when I was working) So to answer the actual questions of this post , NO I dont think its politicaly incorrect. No less or more than building some catapult for a museum display or cut through of big boy. Its a hobby somthing that I do after I FINNISH working so i could live. I never lived to work. I think some people get upset because you found somehting to do while they simply go home and get ready to work again tommorow. So lets keep on building and remind people of an olsd addage. aint got nothin good to say ,shut up:

Josh WEingarten
aKa shiryon
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 01:56 AM UTC
ww2 germany is one area of history i find very interesting.In addtion to model building I am also involved in reenacting and collecting war time souvenirs from nazi germany.Even collecting real ww2 german vehicles.
but i always have to explaine to people that I am not into the political end of it or involved in any of that neo crap.the last thing i want to do is offened anybody.And that images of nazi germany are displayed only for historical purposes.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 02:12 AM UTC
All of the guys at work know about my hobby. In my down time, I am known to spread all of my stuff out on the table at work. They have all seen me built and paint. They all seem interested, so I share what I know about what kit I'm building. I have a "model box" that my wife got for me as a gift. I contains the necessary tools needed to build away from home. I always keep a kit or two with me and my travel box is always available. I even got one guy to get interested enough to build a couple of kits. I don't feel that building WWII kits is politically incorrect. I think it shows us a color picture of an epic time in our history.

Patrick
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 05:29 AM UTC
Well, some good responses.

I too don't care what others think about my hobby but I work in two very liberal places. No one shares my political views (that I feel are pretty mainstream) and they certainly aren't into military history unless it is to criticize.

I do have some WWII aircraft photos in my office but that's about it. I guess I just try to avoid the issue.

And, forget about the hunting or target shooting thing. With all that's going on in the world today, that's probably the last thing people would understand. Every TV show features some gun crazed nut out blasting kids. I don't think people can seperate the fact from the fiction anymore.

Personally, I don't collect any military relics (other than a few things that were my dad's in WWII) but certainly wouldn't think there's anything wrong with it. Also, I think it would get expensive quick. I would tend to avoid the Nazi stuff, but that's just me. Not my interest and too many fakes.

I think for me it's best to keep my interests to myself. If someone asked I'd be happy to talk about it. I think other people have the 'problem' not us. I think we all appreciate military history and are not war mongers or glamorizing violence.

Steve
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 03:27 PM UTC
I don't justify my hobby to anyone. I don't feel I have to.

I build WW2 armor because I'm a WW2 buff.
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 04:44 PM UTC
Hi everyone
As a kid at school it can be hard to explain that i bulid WWII replicas not models that they bulit when they were 6 i also agree with the rest of you if they don't ask i don't tell and its not politically incorrect.
But everyone knows I am a WWII nut.

Andy007
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 06:05 PM UTC
Hi everybody,

I don't advertise it too much either, but I don't hide it. I get more grief from the Automotive modelers I hang with than anybody else. I was never in the military, but I appreciate the job they do for us. They protect the freedoms we have. My real reason for building is that I dig machines. If it rolls, floats, flies, or beats the air into submission, I am interested in it. I build almost every subject, from Allies to Axis, to U.S. to Soviet, to off beat stuff. I have a lot of pairs of models that offset each other. Corsair/Zero... Fokker/Camel ... Sabre/Mig 15... Eagle/Foxbat...

Bottom line; My shelf, I can put whatever I want on it! (As long as I remain single! )

On a side note, I once met a really nice woman, who was a very liberal vegetarian, pacifist, animal rights activist. We were in a college class together, and were partners on a research project. (Random draw, we didn't choose each other) We had to finish working on it in my apartment one night. I cringed at the thought of what she was going to say about my models. She walked in, and the first thing she said was "Wow! How did you do the markings on that 109? Are there decals out for that now?" Turns out, she was a Fine Scale Modeler subscriber, IPMS member, and had an armor collection that would rival most large hobby shops. You can never tell! (She did have problems with my Grateful Dead tape collection though!)

_GOTOTOP