_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Springbok Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Proposal for an African campaign
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 01:13 AM UTC
Maaitjies,

I've been giving some thought to proposing an African campaign.

The campaign should run for about 3-4 months. I was thinking from 25 January 2006 - 25 May 2006. Why end on 25th May? It's Africa Day, and the 43rd anniversary of the establishment of the OAU. 'Nuff sed.

Initially I was only thinking about having a figure campaign, but I think a general modelling campaign will get more exposure.

The catch, however (and there's always a catch ), is that I want to exclude WW2... So basically anything before 1939 and after 1945... I think we already have enough WW2 campaigns on this site... we can always propose a WW2 African or Mediteranean campaign later...

The other thing is that the submission should be historically accurate. The reason for this is to get people reading a bit more about African wars and historical events.

So... what do you say, fellas? Do I have your buy-in? If we go ahead with this I would really appreciate as many South African entries as possible...

I'll take feedback on this until the end of July 2005 before making the decision to submit to CCC.

Thanks for your time...

Rudi
entire network: 4,303 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 01:45 AM UTC
Rudi, count me in!

I like South African armor like the Rooikat, Eland, Ratel and Olifant.
The Olifant is based on a Centurian I believe and the Eland on a Panhard? But the Ratel and Rooikat are own SA productions, am I right?

Do you happen to know if there are any kits from these? Or do you have to scratchbuild it?

Paul
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 08:25 AM UTC
I have given this a bit more thought on the way home tonight...

I seem to have neglected to say the subject of this campaign will be any historical or factualy based event to have taken place on the African continent or the islands geographically linked to it.

I am also not only allowing military subjects, but civilian as well - as long as it can be backed up by fact!

Examples of civilian could be Queen Cleopatra, dromedari train or even a traditional South African mini-bus taxi complete with shotgun wielding co-driver jumping a red light or driving up the emergency lane to push in front of the rest of the traffic

Military examples are numerous:
Figures... nothing here need be said...
Armour... how about an Angolan T-55? There are numerous examples...
Aircraft... as per armour, the former Soviet Bloc sold off tons of outdated equipment to struggling countries and rebel groups...
Ships... how about slave ships... they are even still around today...

All I would like to request that each entry be accompanied by a small piece on the event or person it depicts factually supporting it. That way we also all get to learn a bit more about African history and possibly culture.

Will keep you all posted as I think of things, but I am 100% open to suggestions... except to allow WW2 - sorry.

Rudi
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 08:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If we go ahead with this I would really appreciate as many South African entries as possible..

That should read:

"If we go ahead with this I would really appreciate as many entries from as many South African modelers as possible.."

Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 08:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rudi, count me in!

I like South African armor like the Rooikat, Eland, Ratel and Olifant.
The Olifant is based on a Centurian I believe and the Eland on a Panhard? But the Ratel and Rooikat are own SA productions, am I right?

Do you happen to know if there are any kits from these? Or do you have to scratchbuild it?

Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks for the support. It's much appreciated - watch this space for updates for now

I'm not really an armour fundie like some of my fellow Saffers here (Cougar, Vorster and Opsmedic but to name 3 ). But I'll try help

Yes, the Olifant is based on the Centurion. See my post earlier this year about a resin conversion kit for the Tamiya Centurion here. I can't answer your Eland question, but I'm sure one of our resident SA armour geniuses will know...

For local manufacturers of SA armour, please try the following:
Aerografix
Baxmod

Both these companies produce resin kits of local armour. Their sites might be a bit old, but drop them an email if you're interested in their products. I hear they are quite good.

Incidentally, I have a problem connecting to Baxmod, and the site may not be around any more, but the owner's email address is [email protected].

Thanks again for your interest and support

Rudi
Vorster
Visit this Community
North-West, South Africa
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 06:25 PM UTC
Jip the Eland 90 is a Panhard 90 and the Eland 60 a Panhard 60. However refer to pics as they were locally manufactured and were a bit differend. Will see if my buds at the armor school can shed some light. About kits go with the stuff tarok mentioned.
entire network: 4,303 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 07:44 PM UTC
Thanks for the answers guys.
It's a whole new world of armor for me that opens up here! Very interesting!
PAUL
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 08:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the answers guys.
It's a whole new world of armor for me that opens up here! Very interesting!
PAUL

That's essentially the purpose of this campaign idea... to open a few more doors and a few more minds...

Vorster - you interested? A great opportunity to build some Angolan stuff... And a great chance for SAAF aircraft to finally appear on Armorama Pls tell the rest of the Potch gang just in case they haven't checked in recently...

Vorster
Visit this Community
North-West, South Africa
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 03:35 AM UTC
Not my cup of tea but I will ask. May build a saaf aircraft though. Well ask the guys.
Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 266 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 10:56 AM UTC
Sounds like a good idea, but is there any chance of making the Campaign run for longer?

Cougar
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 05:25 PM UTC
I could ask CCC if we could make it 6 months (25 Nov 2005 - 25 May 2006?), but the trend at the moment is to shy away from longer campaigns... Also, remember (as per my understanding) a campaign entry doesn't have to be started and finished in the time period, but only finished...

Rudi
Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2005 - 08:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I could ask CCC if we could make it 6 months (25 Nov 2005 - 25 May 2006?), but the trend at the moment is to shy away from longer campaigns... Also, remember (as per my understanding) a campaign entry doesn't have to be started and finished in the time period, but only finished...

Guess it all depends on what the other members think, but it might be easier to let it run for 6 months

Cougar
Bren
Visit this Community
Cape Province, South Africa
entire network: 381 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 07:58 PM UTC
Hey,

Don't know if I'll enter, not fond of any SA models bar WWII, especially fond of 22 &24Sqn Bostons in N.Africa and Desert Hurricanes..

as for time 6 months from start to finish sounds better, I know when I ran the Operation Cover-Up Campaign people struggled to finish and it was 5 months I think? then again some finished quickly.

Will have to see closer to the date with how demanding the university is going to be of me

regards,

Erik
Bomberman
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 84 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 09:05 PM UTC
Well hello again Guys,

Great idea, I have been toying with a similar idea for a while now. I will inform my club buddies as well.

have been looking for a reason to do some Sa Historical figures for a long time. This is as good a reason as any I think.

Regards, Tappie
auburn
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 102 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 03:08 PM UTC
Hi Rudi..like what your taking about, what about some of the historical actions through the years between the All BLACKS & SPRING BOK thats real historical action, I do have some other ideas, figure wise.

good luck Phil...
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 05:16 PM UTC
Hi Tappie,

Thanks for the interest. Please spread the word at the club, this is a great recruitment opportunity , and also a great opportunity to showcase SA modelling work...

Hi Phil,

Thanks for interest. I hope it's last year's Tri-Nation's action you'll be depicting, and not this years I think the 'Boks may be in for a stinker of a season, what with all the SARFA rubbish going on... Just remember, as long as it is taking place on African soil, and not between 1939 - 1945 it'll be eligible for entry...

Lads, don't forget, this is a General Modelling theme... excluding only Sci-Fi (and WW2 )

Rudi
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 12:19 AM UTC
Rudi,
Thanks for the "heads-up"--------got a scratchy "Rooyie" half built from last year ---will the "diggy-cent"be accepted?.........not up to speed yet on SA stuff but getting there----"Caspir" recovery??-----need to find more "lit" to get "back-grounds "on beasties..only got 2 books on SA.
Will probably resort to my "grovelling" again to all you SA guys :-)
Count me in any-way....... ...game for a challenge
aye
BARV
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 12:51 AM UTC
You're welcome, Steve!

Given the interest in this post thus far, I think I'll move the "International" announcement/proposal forward to the end of June '05. I'll start drafting a more formal idea and bounce it off you guys before we launch this little campaign...

I'm still open to ideas and suggestions...

Bren: my main reason for excluding WW2 is only to get some diversity in entries... Whether this campaign is successful or not, I'll be the 1st to jump right into a WW2 Mediteranean campaign... I already have a few draft ideas for dios etc for that...

Rudi
plasticmedic
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 5 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 06:49 AM UTC
Great idea

I'm in. Me and bomberman have talked it over and it is about time that SA stuff are exposed to the world.
Greetings Faan
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 08:10 AM UTC
Hi Faan,

Thanks for the support. I'll probably start drafting something soon. Once it's submitted to CCC I guess it's just a matter of time before we get approval.

Remember... this isn't my campaign... This campaign is an African campaign... this is our campaign, a chance to specifically showcase some of our local talent... so if you okes have input or think an idea is k k, please speak up before the end of June '05...

Rudi
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 06:11 PM UTC
How about shaka Bear or the b company 2/24 dwarf infantry regt- lol - what asking me to a humie subject- that is not nice haha, but am interested as long as I cn do my usually twist - Like the french foriegn legion of Giraffes or the warthog selous scouts with historical referrences of couse, or Stanley and livingstone comedy act
Ian
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 01:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jip the Eland 90 is a Panhard 90 and the Eland 60 a Panhard 60. However refer to pics as they were locally manufactured and were a bit differend.

Ja, but they still had ‘that’ Chevy motor in them, nice Weber carb though…

Quoted Text

Don't know if I'll enter, not fond of any SA models bar WWII, especially fond of 22 &24Sqn Bostons in N.Africa and Desert Hurricanes..

How about a SAAF 2 Squadron F-51D (P-51D) Mustang in Korea? It’s still basically a WWII vintage aircraft, only with the Springbok and a few paint changes to make it interesting. The 1/72 scale Italeri version is very cheap (even in SA) and it’s pretty accurate, add some aftermarket decals…..

Great Idea, I’m in! Guys remember that the SAAF is the world's second oldest independent air force (The RAF is the oldest).
Don’t forget the ubiquitous De Havilland, D82A Tiger Moth which served as a trainer from 1939 to 1958.

Just thinking, any Mig from the Mig 15 right up to the Mig 23, plus the BRDMs, BTRs and T-54s / T-55s, also all the SAMs…
Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 02:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The 1/72 scale Italeri version is very cheap (even in SA) and it’s pretty accurate, add some aftermarket decals…..

Last time I saw one it was about R50.00 from Toys R Us (Same as the Academy kit). I haven't seen the Italeri one built up, but the Adademy kit's got some nice detail

Cougar
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 12:46 AM UTC
Hi Warren , here’s the Inbox and Build reviews for the Italeri Kit. Not sure about the Academy kit, but their P-51C is very nice!

Hope this helps.
Bren
Visit this Community
Cape Province, South Africa
entire network: 381 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 08:10 PM UTC
maybe i'll build a derelict blockhouse or something from the SWA campaign in WWI.....
 _GOTOTOP