Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Generals and Armadillos
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 12:28 PM UTC
As I was thinking of a theme for my project in the MP campaign, I was thinking of the ubiquity of the armadillos on Ft.Polk, the number of civilian and military vehicle accidents blamed upon the ever present Phantom-Dillo, and one sticky July night's midnight shift a lot of us would never forget.

(If I've told this story here...forgive me...I think I have CRS)

When the Desk Sergeant in a very untypical high pitched fashion began rattling off patrol numbers in rapid succession, advising the SRT was enrote, and shots had been fired at the CG's residence, you can be sure the same "What the...." look came over every MP's face. Seemingly, like a movie scene, a line of MP jeeps and K-Cars with blue lights flashing converged upon the bottom the CG's drive.

The Patrol Sergeant broke us up into fire teams and dispersed us into the woods below the house. We began a flanking action and worked our way toward the house. As we approached, two more shots were heard and I for one could say that I could hear my heart pounding. As we reached the house, shooters from the SRT discovered the source of the gunfire.

There, in the back yard, in his pajamas and robe, stood the CG with a little 410 shotgun and flash light shooting armadillos in his wife's garden and flower beds.

The General appologized profusely for creating such a stir and promised that in the future he would let the game wardens deal with the dillo problem. However, I think the rest of the night was a complete wash for us...because we spent it laughing ourselves sick.

Steve
rbeebe99
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 540 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 12:36 PM UTC
LOL I guess rank does have its privileges.

Regards,
Robert
shootER5
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 64 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 02:21 PM UTC
LOL!

Armadillos are cool (and tasty, if prepared right).

We always called them "possums with a tanker MOS".
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 11:44 PM UTC
Great story, Steve! :-) :-) :-)

One of our previous CG's had a problem with a family of skunks under the back porch of his quarters. I can't imagine the amount of man-hours and expense that went into their eradication and removal. His dogs took on a definite pinkish hue and tomato-ey odor during the process -- until someone pointed out that Massengill douche performed the clean-up better and without the tomato juice mess. Imagine the looks his aide must have gotten buying douche by the case at the Commissary.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2005 - 02:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

someone pointed out that Massengill douche performed the clean-up better and without the tomato juice mess. Imagine the looks his aide must have gotten buying douche by the case at the Commissary.

Oh that is a hoot! No doubt... and can you imagine the look on the cashier as well!? :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)