Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Im going time traveling, Reality TV style!
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2005 - 05:30 PM UTC
Hola guys!

Just thought I would share some great news with you guys! A few months back I applied for a TV show called Texas Ranch House, it is the next up and comming series in the House Series from PBS (colonial house, frontier house etc), and to my surprise after a ton of paperwork, several taped and untaped interviews I have been selected to go!

So what is this show all about? Well, we will be living in Texas, just like they did in 1867 working as a Cowboy on a Cattle Ranch. There will be no modern commodities, no comforts of everyday life as we know it, just hard work and tons of fun!

I had my first taste of how it will feel to have a camera on you 24/7 today as they filmed "The Real World Anders", and it will take some getting used to for sure.

I will be living like this for 3 months, its going to be hot, sweaty and very interesting to say the least!

Departure from the modern world will be next Sunday, June 5th 2005 and I wont be back until mid September.

Here is the website that have a little information about the show, so be sure to check it out! The show should air in January 06, but you never know for sure.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ranchhouse/index.html

Needless to say I will miss sculpting and painting figures, but this is a once in a life time experience and something I just could not pass up on!

BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2005 - 05:46 PM UTC
You are such a lucky B****** Anders!!! Good luck and don't cop out, you'll look like a fool!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2005 - 06:36 PM UTC
I'll look forward to watching you on tv my friend
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 12:22 AM UTC
Congrats, Anders. I haven’t missed a “house” on PBS yet. Most of them, especially “Colonial House” looked like an awful lot of work. I think I would have been better suited to be the ruling family in the “Manor House.”
Watch out for rustlers…

Shaun

Hey, you can always whittle figures.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 04:12 AM UTC
Just make sure to call out a shamless-plug to Armorama and modelling.

Jeff
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 05:05 AM UTC
Good luck and enjoy yourself......
You could always do a little chip carving to pass those TV-less nights away, around the fire place and beans.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 05:16 AM UTC
I've seen bits and pieces of an earlier season of that show. Looks like of rough. I believe in the scene I saw there was an issue with the heat and too many bugs bites. Good luck. If I recall you don't get voted off the show, you just endure
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 05:55 AM UTC
Good Luck Anders. You are going to be here for the hottest time of our year. I know I would not want to live in Texas without air conditioning!

Keith
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 06:07 AM UTC
Congratulations, I think. I can't imagine doing without plastic and glue, let alone air conditioning, Armorama, and DVD players for three days, let alone three months.

Be sure to give us an update as soon as you can on when the show will be aired.

entire network: 4,303 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 07:18 AM UTC
Howdee!

You can make some beautifull little soldiers and AFV's by woodcarving or do a bit of soap sculpting :-) :-)
On the other hand; are you allowed to make modern AFV's at a 1867 farmsite?
Don't know those series... Are there also Indians and gunfights involved??? :-)

Have a nice time!!

Paul
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 07:36 AM UTC
Good luck, Anders! You're in for a lot of hard work, but it will be a once in a lifetime experience! At least you have some expereince and knowledge of horses, which should give you some advantage.

Keep your powder dry and never drink downstream from the herd.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 07:49 AM UTC
Wow Anders that is a great experience!! I have watched parts of both of those shows and they are very compelling. Good luck with some of them thar city slickers that they stick you with.

And who says you can't make figures? I believe they called it "whittling" back then.

Take care and keep us posted.

Jim
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 08:08 AM UTC
Be sure to let us know when you are done and when this series will begin to air.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 2,394 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 08:09 AM UTC
Anders, I'm glad they selected you. Ever since the first time we talked on this I saw a lot of excitement from you over it. I hope you do well and they dont torture you to badly. Its going to be a long 3 months without working on your figures and heck without having the internet at your disposal. Heck I will be happy to send you some pics of what is going on online :-) You have a good one and having lived in texas dont forget your sunblock!!!! Cheers Kevin
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 08:17 AM UTC
Don't you just hate the falling standard of television? They'll let anyone on the tube these days!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) jokes :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Best of luck buddy!

Rudi
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 08:42 AM UTC
Maybe you can cause some excitment by carving Big A on the door or something.
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 09:10 AM UTC
Good Luck Anders! I hope you have a great time
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 04:00 AM UTC
Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys!!!

When they filmed my intervew and the whole 'prolog' they focused it a lot on my miniatures. The interview was done infront of my display cabinet with some figures showing (too bad all my good ones are off to go to different shows while Im gone!), and they also filmed me painting and my 'studio'. Was also filmed reading Historical Miniatures, so the hobby will get some exposure, hopefully I just didnt to it in a bad way!!

As for the other shows, I have not seen any of them, just read a little bit about them online after I found out that I was selected to go. This is a completely new production team and totally new staff, so I am sure it will be different then the old ones.

From what I hear it will be much like traveling into a time capsule, they seam to have spent tons of time (and money) on the authenticity of the project.

As for the heat, well, I guess one will just have to buck up and take it like a man! Sunblock is the only modern thing that we can bring and use, so I guess that should tell me something. Also have to be weary of the scorpions, diamond back rattlers, tarantulas, fire ants and the bee's!

I am pretty much pumped to go, have been for a while and it is finally right around the corner (Leaving this Sunday, june 5th). The production team have been super and Im looking forward to working with them.

As far as the sculpting goes, I have always wanted to do some wood carving, probably will start with a horse head, and this is definately a great opertunity to do so. Who knows, maybe there will be some sort of clay that can be used as well, just have to build a small kiln or what ever the baking things are called.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement! I hope you guys will watch it and enjoy the show!

I'll try not to make you laugh too hard when I get bucked of a wild west bronc!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 04:42 AM UTC
Way cool, Anders! Texas House, eh? Congratulations. I've wattched these series on PBS and enjoyed them. This one will be even more intersting with someone I "know" on it. Best of luck with it. Watch out for those bean suppers around the campfire, though!