Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
HERO'S Right Next Door 'a place for stories'
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 09:02 AM UTC
Howdy All,

This Forum thread is precisely what the title infer's, and that is, to share any and all stories of what I will take the liberty to discribe as; "the HERO'S Next Door". And by this, I mean, if you take the time to simply befriend one of your neighbour's, your co-worker's, or even a teacher or two, you might surprise yourself and find you are in the midst of an unsung 'hero'.

I have wanted to creat a Forum thread like this for quite a long time now but have hesitated for a number of reasons that I shant go into at the moment. But having recently had the good fortune of meeting the Father-in Law of one of my neighbour's who apparently served on the Battleship USS California, I felt it was time to maybe begin this type of 'exchange' here with all of you.

I met with this gentleman for a short period just last night. But, because of his age, and his failing health, I was unfortunately unable to stay long. I am scheduled to meet with him again this evening (he is taking the time to meet with me on this Memorial Day weekend) so we can talk about his time aboard the venerable and magnificent Battleship USS California. From what little I could gather last night, he was a replacement for the previous Radioman aboard the California, Chief Radioman Thomas James Reeves, who received the Medal of Honor (posthumously) for his gallant efforts aboard the dying California during the surprise raid at Pearl Harbor. He participated in all further engagements of the California after it's refitting, including, but not limited to Leyte Gulf, the Marianna's, and the destruction of the Imperial Japanese Fleet at Battle of Surigao Strait.
My efforts here are to hopefully generate a 'school circle' where Armorama members can share their own experience's with the "HERO'S Right Next Door".

You can count on me stopping back by this thread to add more info about my friend's father-in law. Hopefully you can/will enjoy the stories as much as I will.....

Tread.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hi Tread

I've been privileged to meet a number of veterans over the years. Their stories are gold-dust and sadly many have already passed on. We collect reference books and like to think we know it all - but to meet the guys who were there and did it is a humbling experience.

All the best

Rowan
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 09:58 AM UTC
Howdy Rowan,

I couldn't agree with you more. I too have had the honour to meet and speak with veteran's who have been kind enough to shre their experience's with me. And like you, I feel that these experience's and stories are truly priceless bits of real history that shouldn't go unheard.
I think we all (here) have heard the saying that these stories need to be told while they can by the veteran's amoungst us before they are lost forever. What I am trying to say here with this thread is; that all of US are (as you just said) previledged enough because of our daily interest in the subject matter to potentially become closer to someone who was involved with these actions, and that we should hopefully feel obligated to not only look around us and potentially draw out a veteran and his story, but to also (hopefully) feel the need to share that story with all of us here, so that no matter what, the story and it's contents will not die......

I have got to admit to my own harbouring of stories shared with me over the years that should be told. And I am admittedly as guilty as anyone of not coughing up these superbly interesting stories simply because I've already heard them.......that, I realize now, is just undeniably selfish of me. These stories I have read and heard first-hand from men and women who were there, are indeed stories that should be told and retold. Because examples of these types of unplanned, and completely selfless acts of sacrifice and heroism are stories and message's that should be passed down to our youngest generations.

So, for these reasons, and many more, I really don't care much if I come across as 'corny', or too much the 'boy scout'....it's what I believe to my CORE, and I am proud of it.

That said, and my "corniness" open and avialable for scorn of any kind. I employ all of you to take the time (it would only take a few minutes) to share any and all stories you have had the priveledge of hearing from you own "HERO'S Right Next Door".............

Many thx for taking the time to stop by lads and lassies.....

Tread.