_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
milliput trouble
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 842 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2005 - 06:50 AM UTC
First let me say that the instructions are missing or misplaced so if they would answer this question, bear with me and offer a hand to me...

Now, I'm having trouble with the milliput putty drying to a hard finish...whats the problem? I'm mixing 1:1 but after a week, it's still soft.
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2005 - 12:34 PM UTC
mate I would take it back but which one are you using Grey yellow or white because white you have to mix quite heavily pos 4 min of neading then let sit for a minute that mixing is ofter where I went wrong when I first used Miliput
If this doesn't work I would take it back to the place you purchased it and see whether they can make it work and if not get a new pack (use the yellow pack)
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2005 - 05:11 PM UTC
Hey guys.. How useful is milliput anyway?

I got myself a tube and applied it onto the gaps (bad fixing) for my 1/16 fig that i'm building currently. The dried putty left a mess (i'm new to this putty thing). Another mistake i made was to prime my kit before applying the putty. A mistake well learnt

Any advice of the use of milliput for my future kits
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2005 - 09:20 PM UTC
When i mix muliput i get a knife and cut two equal wheel off the tubes of each stick -I then cut in half the cut off pieces like a cake then quaters - I then take say a quarter then knead it thoroughly rolling into sauage the fold then roll into a bal then sausage then fold the a ball- With this mixed amount I then slice off a piece with my sculpting tool(made by filing flat and shaping bamboo skewers and wooden chops sticks then coating thm in superglue sanding again a again coating in superglue) I then make a sausage the size of the area that need filling I then wet the tool in water and then smooth out the edges and then getting the contours right-Keep the tool damp then whhen happy soften under hot running water or use your fingure coated in hand cream. Try it out
Ian
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 769 Posts
KitMaker Network: 219 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 01:42 AM UTC
Like the previous posts, if you don'tmix it thoroughly, it just stay sticky. I roll it out, fold it over, roll it out fold it over, etc about 10 times. Squish it, knead it, pinch it, twist it, what ever it takes to make sure it's good and mixed. Make sure the are you are applying it to is clean, then just press it in. Shape it how you want it using your favorite tools dipped in water and let it dry. Just remember, when that stuff dries, it's hard as rock and when you sand it down, you will remove the plastic/resin before you remove the putty! :-)

Jesse
generalrazo
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 312 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 02:14 PM UTC
Hi Ike, milliput is very useful, you can make zimmerit from it or even mold things such as sandbags
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 04:59 PM UTC
Well thanks Eddie
Minuteman
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 261 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 04:26 AM UTC
I had the same problem when I started using the fine grain Milliput that, as already stated, is incomplete mixing of the two. I found that before mixing the two components, heat them in the microwave for 5 seconds but no longer they can get extremely hot. After heating they are far easier to thoroughly mix.

Jay
 _GOTOTOP