_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Taking pics from TV image
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2005 - 03:35 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I'm trying to build a couple of models of as aircraft as they appeared in a film. I've got the film on DVD and used the pause function to find good stills of the ones in question. I thought of tried to use my digital camera to get pics from the screen so I could print them out as reference for painting.

The trouble is out of 20 pics I took only one was useable, the rest all had very dark and light bands across the screen horizontally or vertically, which distorted the camo on the aircraft.

Is there a way that I can get useable pics? My camera is a basic one with few functions but the fact I got one decent one means I did something right, trouble is I don't know what.

Any ideas?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2005 - 03:52 AM UTC
You'd be better off if you have a DVD player in your computer. Pause, then hit the "Print Screen" button in the upper lright corner of your keyboard. Then paste the image into your photo editor.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2005 - 03:55 AM UTC
I believe that it will be nearly impossible to use a camera. If I understand CRT TVs, all the pixels don't refresh at the same time. Only every other pixel refreshes. At high speeds it can fool your eye into thinking the whole picture is there when in reality only half the picture is being displayed at any given moment. You will probably be best trying to get some sort of screen grabbing videocard and run the DVD through your PC. Because the storage or the data is digital your video grabbing card can accurately reassemble the full image.
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2005 - 05:25 AM UTC
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I will have to get my PC upgraded.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2005 - 05:43 AM UTC
I tried it once. Pictures came out very grainy and blurry. Your best bet is to do what Al suggested.
Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,697 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 01:48 AM UTC

If you've got or get a CD/DVD drive on your computer, sometimes the software you use with it has its own save frame option and you can save photo perfect pictures fro any film.

Power dvd is the program I use with mine.

Vic

P.S. What film are the pictures you are after from
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 01:53 AM UTC
Aeroplanes? Hmmmm.. I think we should be told which movie this is.. It is not an import DVD is it? Dutch postmark?? :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

brandydoguk
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 03:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Aeroplanes? Hmmmm.. I think we should be told which movie this is.. It is not an import DVD is it? Dutch postmark?? :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

LOL :-) NO! It's the film Battle of Britain and I've been trying again to get some stills. I've actually managed to get one or two decent pics, enough for me to copy the camo and weathering.
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 371 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 12:09 PM UTC
To get the best image you really need to capture it off the computer...

But you can use your camera by taking a photo of the screen. To do this you need a tripod. You need to use a long shutter speed, so that the whole TV picture refreshes during the exposure. Start out trying 20th of a second, and drop it progressively down as slow as you can go, or until you get the picture you are happy with. Youll need to use manual or shutter priority mode.
 _GOTOTOP