_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
PE driving me crazy
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2005 - 10:08 AM UTC
I'm currently working on DML's Tiger I Initial and just got to the point where I'm starting to add the PE parts. Man, this stuff is driving me nuts! Trying to just pick up some of these microscopic parts is bad enough, but then you have to bend them at several points as well! The worst ones are the tiny clamps that go onto the tools (shovel, ax, etc.). They're about 3/8" x 1/16" and require multiple bends to boot!

My fingers can't be that much fatter or less nimble than most of you guys, so how do you all work with pieces this small?
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2005 - 10:23 AM UTC
First off -- quit trying to do it with your fingers!

Use some good forceps (AKA "tweezers") of different sizes, a couple pairs of small hobby pliers (square jaw and needle nose) and some blades. I can normally use an Exacto #11, but some guys swear by single edge razor blades.

If you ever took a high school metal shop class, you used a sheet bender (think that's what it was called). One side held the stock and the other side moved to bend the sheet metal. You want to hold the part right up to where the bend line is, then use a blade to bend it. Start with bigger pieces and work your way down to the itty-bitty ones.

Practice makes perfect. If you decide you want to try more PE. you might want to invest in a Hold-n-Fold or other PE bending tool. It's basically a big clamp and some blades.

For curved shapes, you can bend it around rods or any other cylinder (pen, paint brush handle, etc.) you may have that is about the right size.

Good luck!
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2005 - 10:34 AM UTC
I hear you!PH drives me nuts too.
But some things that can and will help are small flat jaw pliers and a bender.The bender will help do the parts that have multiple bends.If you havn't seen one check out http://www.etchmate.com/ .I have one like (home made locally) it and they work well.
Also if you have problems with the parts flying away when gutting them off ,try two sided tape.Lay the tape on your bench then stick the fret to it and cut the part off the part will stay on the tape.
I hope some of this helps.
Jim
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2005 - 12:27 PM UTC
I have quite a collection of tweezers, pliers and even hemostats that I use, but still end up bending the pieces beyond repair or shooting them across the room! I'm sure with patience and practice I'll get better, but it sure is frustrating getting to that point. I've seen the Etchmate before and contemplated getting one, but $70 is alot of money for me to spend at this time.

I did manage to finally install the parts for the tools on the Tiger, but I have to own up to cheating by just adding the tops of the clamps on the tools. They look okay to me and hopefully once the weathering is completed the missing parts won't be noticeable.
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2005 - 12:39 PM UTC
It is frustating at the best of times, but with a lot patents and the right tools you'll only pull half your hair out. I bought some cheap needle nose pliers (no rigids in the jaws), then I ground the end down to a smaller square tip. This is what I use for most of the bending. For placing parts I use a "needle nose tweezer thing", I still get some " tweezer launch " but it is acceptable. My biggest frustation is the gluing process super glue drys so fast and it hard to get just the right amount on the PE part.. Somebody here suggested using future, and it works great and doesn't leave any tell tale sign that the super glue use to.

Good luck Cary

Bruce
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2005 - 06:17 PM UTC
I had the same question about a year ago and there were alot of inventive solutions. The one I've found that works the best for me is using a toothpick with a little bit of spit on it so it will pick up those small pieces really nicely. Use the round kind with a sharp point, they work the best.
 _GOTOTOP