History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Declaration of War
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 12:56 AM UTC
DJ...if you believe the polls about 59% of Americans agree that something should be done about Iraq and Saddam. The rest oppose it or aren't sure. The media, which are largely left leaning liberals, share the view of Europe (which has it's own agenda...whatever is against the US). I can't even watch Peter Jennings any longer. I watch Fox News which is at least fair. Alec Baldwin called them (Fox News) Fascists. If Alec Baldwin is against them then I'm for them. Again we're hearing the 1939 mantra...Peace at ANY Cost!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ...if you believe the polls about 59% of Americans agree that something should be done about Iraq and Saddam. The rest oppose it or aren't sure. The media, which are largely left leaning liberals, share the view of Europe (which has it's own agenda...whatever is against the US). I can't even watch Peter Jennings any longer. I watch Fox News which is at least fair. Alec Baldwin called them (Fox News) Fascists. If Alec Baldwin is against them then I'm for them. Again we're hearing the 1939 mantra...Peace at ANY Cost!

Bo-
I have to try that Fox News. What time and who do you watch on it? What annoys me gretaly is the lack of balance and objectivity in the three network repporting. When, for example, the infamous tale of No Gun Ri was finally concluded, I never heard Tom Brokaw say "wow, we were wrong." So, I share a digust at the lack of neutrality which taints everything they report. Let me know about the Fox programming.
thanks
DJ
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 02:45 AM UTC
DJ....On every hour and half hour they have the world news. In prime time they have the O'Reilly Factor, which i believe starts at 8:00 PM and then Hannity and Colmes which is a very good show....A Liberal and Conservative discuss national news stories with various guests. I agree...I will NOT watch network news again. I don't know when the media became so anti-American/Patriotic. I think maybe the catalyst was when Walter Cronkite gave his famous anti-Viet Nam commentary. That gave the greenlight for all those closet America bashers to let loose. I believe in free speech and freedom of the press, HOWEVER, let's hear both sides of the story and not just the skewed views of a select few. (Did I just make a new Rap song?) Luckily the "Big Three" don't carry as much weight as they used to with the rise of the cable networks. I rest my case. PS: I don't know in which time zone you are so check your local listings...you've got to watch the O'Reilly Factor and the Hannity and Colmes show. The Evening news with Shepard Smith is also very good. Like Fox says,"Fair and balanced."
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 04:54 AM UTC
DJ,

I no longer watch ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN and only view FOX. I turn on Bret Hume, Special Report at 1700 CDT and news follows at 1800 CDT. Special Report goes into more depth on fewer topice, has good anlysis from multiple views. Then, as Bodeen states, Bill O'Reilly (a good Irishman) and Hannity & Combs (Commie, pinko, fag #:-) ) are also good issue related programs, although O-Reilly gets on my nervers interrypuing his guests, and Combs makes me want to puke Other than those minor follibls, FOX is heads above the rest.

Jeff
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 05:40 AM UTC
Jeff/Bo---many thanks. I have to obtain a more balanced view of the world and this might be a way of doing it.
thanks again
DJ
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 11:25 AM UTC
DJ...No Problemo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 12:15 PM UTC
I also watch fox new exclusively now also. Same reasons everyone else has stated. So many people say the are "conservative" and from their angle they probably are since they are hanging off the left edge of the political system. The thing I like about fox the most is they won't just let people come on and say what they want without challenging them. If someone makes a outragouse or incorrect coment they won't just let it go, they say what the truth is about what they said. Example: Tom Daschle says Pres. Bush is cutting medicare. All the stations but fox will just let him spout off without correcting the facts. Fox will actually tell you the Pres. Bush is actually spending more on medicare, but he is not increasing it at the same rate it was increased the year before. Only in Washington can you spend more and still have it called a cut. But the point is you get the real story, not just the lies and talking points. That is what I love most about it. When the conservatives try and do the same type of thing, and they do, they are also corrected.

sorry for the off topic, but I thought I would add to what was said by others.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 12:27 PM UTC
In Canada, it is generally believed that to get good news you should read the Globe and Mail (leftist) and the National Post (right wing). The truth lies somewhere in between.
Maybe to get the most out of your news, you should watch two stations, say Fox and one of the ones you think is left wing......... or you could be like me and read the Onion

Nic
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In Canada, it is generally believed that to get good news you should read the Globe and Mail (leftist) and the National Post (right wing). The truth lies somewhere in between.
Maybe to get the most out of your news, you should watch two stations, say Fox and one of the ones you think is left wing......... or you could be like me and read the Onion

Nic

Nic--you bring up a good point. In my opinion, we have become a peception only society. In this society, perceptions become/are/equal reality. What we see, what we hear is all too often the basis for saying "that's it!" When in point of fact, we should use peceptions as the basis for inquiry. I am watching the Fox news cast because I read the Washington Post which tells me the world is going to hell in a hand basket under the current administration and that for the last eight years we lived the good life. I was here for all those eight years and that was not my impression. So, I do not wish to be subjected to the famous James Carville line ("It does not have to be a lie, it just needs to be constantly repeated.") when watching what I hoped would be an informative half hour.
DJ