_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
which magazine?
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 10:10 PM UTC
I am thinking of subscribing to a modelling magazine I do armour and figures WW 2. Will aslo be doing planes. Which magazine do you guys recommend? Even if it's specific to one of my interest I would like to know.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 11:05 PM UTC
There's quite a few that I like. Hmmm...which is the best? If you like armor, figures and aircraft, I would recommend Military Modelling.
One of my favorites is "Military In Scale"
Others include:
Military Modelling, Military Modelcraft International, Military Armor International, and Fine Scale Modeler.
Most of the mags I listed above are published in Europe, the UK mostly.
You can go here for better descriptions of all the above and more: Wise Owl Magazines
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 11:36 PM UTC
For the armor side, and somewhat for figures ( mostly WWII German though..) I have to put in a big recommendation for Military Minatures in Review MMiR. from Ampersand Publishing in Florida. WOW! They get folks to throw more aftermarket stuff at the most current kits, drag up some old doggies, and usually have a wacko kit per issue. Published quarterly the only hard part is waiting for the next one.
No planes though.

AFV modeler is a newer magazine, with some very nice content, but the whole thing seems like they are still ironing out the format. They also have international contributors, so the syntax (after translation) is sometines interesting.
Still no planes, and litte on figs.

My US$0.02
Mike

octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 11:41 PM UTC
Hi Godfather,

I would recommend "Tamiya Model Magazine" to you. It is published by ADH publishing in England. It's a pity that they don't have a website but an email address: [email protected]
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 939 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 03:37 AM UTC
I enjoy Military In Scale and Military Modelling. The former has a variety of items, and always lots of Verlinden stuff. I don't read much of the aircraft stuff! Military Modelling is excellent for figure and armor coverage, and you get variety historically. Steve Zaloga seems to have an armor project in just about every issue.

MMIR is OK. I find it is redundant with content available on the web. OF course it's hard to bring the computer into the can...

I don't get much out of Fine Scale Modeller. Figures International is a new mag, and I've split my decision so far for issues 1 and 2 as you can see in the Reviews section.

Cheers
Andy
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 04:00 AM UTC
Tamiya Model Magazine is a good one, godfather. You're in Canada, right? If so, next time you buy a Tamiya kit, keep the little sheet advertising the Tamiya Model Club of Canada on it. You can get a deluxe membership which entitles you to bi-monthly club mailings plus the Tamiya Model Magazine for something like $32. It really is just as good as most other magazines I have seen and though the name says Tamiya, they don't just cover Tamiya kits. There's everything, including cars, aircraft, and armour, but I think the editor likes armour, because there's always a wealth of AFVs in the magazine (that's a good thing ).

Nic
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 04:55 AM UTC
I love Fine Scale Modeling. It covers a pretty wide array of subjects and topics.
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 05:16 AM UTC
My favorite is Fine Scale Modeler. :-)
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 11:45 AM UTC
On the general front, Finescale modeler and Military Modeling are good with Military modelling just edging out Finescale in quality overall for Figures and Armour try Moilitary Modelcraft Internationalthey find a pretty decent balance. For straight armour and thingies for armour go with MMiR. While one can always complain about to much german armour the do a pretty nifty job all around.ALot depends on your budgetI get get militarymodelcraft for free and subscribe to MMir and Finescale. I don't think you can go wrong with any mag, IF it fits budget and level of building.

Josh
aKA shiryon
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
entire network: 534 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 05:47 AM UTC
same here. i mean i want to subscribe but i don't know if any of there can arrive here?
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 485 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 07:20 PM UTC
When I can afford it...I buy 3 mags...1 from the US called Fine Scale Models....and 2 from the UK...Military Modeller.....and Military Modelcraft International.
FSM covers evrything including planes.....and MM and MMI cover mostly armour and figures with a little wargaming and such.
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 212 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 07:54 PM UTC
I recommend Tamiya modelling magazine. It s articles are informative and contains tons of good pics!
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 12:32 AM UTC
Basturk I agree on Tamiya's mag except like most mags asssociated with companies the content is usually solely their product.

Josh
aKA shiryon
 _GOTOTOP