_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
yuppie! new museum!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 01:35 PM UTC
i jsut saw the great news on tv, there a new military museum opened it ottawa! 136 million it cost pretty expensife, but make me happy now that i have my temp il be able to get there

who's gonna go visit?

Frank
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 02:19 PM UTC
I plan to visit this summer. Have been waiting for this place to open for a while.

Hasty
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,009 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 02:32 PM UTC
It is one of the coolest looking buildings here in Ottawa. It actually opens on the 7-8 of May so its not officially open yet. I plan on being there for the grand opening myself. You can read more about it here
OllieC-FWOL
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 446 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 12:55 AM UTC
Will be there in a week or so (at least that's the plan!).

Figure_11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 85 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 03:28 AM UTC
Is this where the collection of vehicles is going to be displayed?
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 05:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is this where the collection of vehicles is going to be displayed?

Yep. I don't know exactly how much of the collection will be out, though. Apparently most of it, but I don't know if it's all going to be available all the time.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 05:45 AM UTC
If I can't make it up this summer I know I'll be visiting it while at the Cap Con show for sure ...

Rick
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 09:46 AM UTC
CBC had a bit on it last night. Looks really good for a change (compared to the Juno Beach museum - talk about artsy...) Will be interesting to see how the displays stand up - the mannequins are right out in the open, not behind any glass. How many people will try to pry that Scmeisser out of the German's hands? Must have good Security?

Jim
peterz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 5 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 04:38 PM UTC
i was there today - it took far to long to get a proper war museam but it was done properly.

the building is stunning - some of the spaces left both an emotional and a physical effect of discomfort - not tatally inapropreiate.

the exhibits are well layed out. large artifacs and war art are scatered through out to further illustrate the periods.

and for the part im sure you are all most interested in - the large artifact dispaly. - vimmy house has been moved to a large well lit space. you can walk up and touch them, and go all around. perfect for model photographs. unfortunately i didnt have my camera - so i couldnt take any.

i spent 2 hours - that was enough time for a leiserly stroll through the entire museam. i expect a proper visit would be a beter part of a day.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2005 - 08:14 AM UTC
Hmm Guys??? Will the Museum still be open on the week end of Cap Con? I was looking at their site and the opening hours stop after the Labour Day week-end ... Will there be some arrangements made with the museums. We were planning on spending a few days in Ottawa and visit this and the Aircraft museum as well ..

Rick
peterz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 5 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2005 - 04:23 PM UTC
Museams are typically open year round. they likely havent set the fall hours yet. the war museam is run by the canadian museam of civilization. see if they have fall hours posted. they will likely be identical (or very similar)
 _GOTOTOP