TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
The end of Enterprise.
mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 199 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 09:19 AM UTC
You know I've been watching this series since the start and I can honestly say that it sucks somethin awful.Why oh why do they wait until the show has been cancelled to come out with a decent episode.
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 11:08 AM UTC
Yep your right it did suck. I gave up with it half way through series 1, just couldn't get into it.
Wonder what they will do next, as they have got to keep the "trekkies" happy :-) :-)
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 11:26 AM UTC
I am predicting a few year hiatus while some new team "re-imagines" ST-TOS. I mean really.... if we can redo Battlestar Galactica, and the myriad of other shows lately, well maybe it's time to finally recast Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. And yes McCoy will definately end up being a woman. haha

Jim
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 11:37 AM UTC
Yah know Jim......I think you may have a very accurate prediction there amigo...........

I don't care what anyone says about the new Battlestar series, (since the easist job in the world is a 'critic') all I can say about it is "Thank You"......it's gritty, throws you some curves, and above all.......it's more adult in structure. Can you imagine a properly restructured TOS storyline that is as adult in nature?
Sign me up Scotty.

Tread.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 11:51 AM UTC
Although I enjoyed the story lines that introduced us to the Andorians and the rest of the "aliens" that we came to know from the original series, I think that the character of Capt. Archer to be extremely overacted.. Also found that dedicating an entire season to basically one story line made me change the channel more then once...

Dave
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 12:06 PM UTC
I just got rather tired of seeing the ship get the crap kicked out of it. Much the same for me as Voyager although I liked the characters on Voyager much more. Still I think part of the problem with the current ST writing staff is they don't seem to understand what makes a good battle scene. Their take:

Helm: Captain... a ship approaching. Their weapons are armed and targeting us.

Capt: Try to hail them. Tell them we have no hostile intentions.

Helm: No response sir. Shall I raise shields?

Capt: No that might be considered a hostile act. (?!?!?)

Helm. They are firing sir. Damage to deck C.

Capt: Raise shields. Evasive manuvers. Return fire. Target their weapons and engines.

Helm: Aye Aye Sir. Firing phasers. No effect. Their shields are deflecting our phasers. Our shields are down to 15%.... We have just lost aft shields!!

Capt: Photon Torpedos. Fire.

Etc. etc... I think you get my point. My version....

Helm: Captain... a ship approaching. Their weapons are armed and targeting us.

Captain: Red alert! Raise shields... target them Mr. Helmguy. Prepare to fire a Quantum torpedo on my command.

Helm: They are firing sir.

Capt: Fire Quantum Torpedo.

Helm: Quantum Torpedo away sir. Direct hit on their weapons array sir. They are moving off.

Capt. Pursuit course.

Etc...

Okay so my version doesn't last as long. BUT I WANT THEM TO KICK BUTT FROM TIME TO TIME!!! Argggg....

hehe

Jim
rbeebe99
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 540 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 12:13 PM UTC
Jim, I like your version better, maybe it wouldn't last as long, but they also wouldn't be considered as panzies.
Regards,
Robert
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 12:14 PM UTC
Hmmm - that read like the opening sequence for Star Trek XI - now they 'ave to go back to the drawing board...

Gunnie
mlb63
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 12:41 PM UTC
Yeah that sphere that was headed toward Earth for the whole season was really tiring.Makes me tired just thinking about it.But why do they wait till the end before doing a mirror episode.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't care what anyone says about the new Battlestar series, (since the easist job in the world is a 'critic')

Well, I think people are entitled to their opinions? Don't you?

Viewers are consumers of a product and have a right to comment on the quality of that product. One of the big reasons shows are cancelled - people don't care for the product.

Galactica got much better towards the end of the season but the middle part was really dull and repetitive.

Star Trek didn't change with the times and people lost interest. There was also a glut of shows and the casual viewer was often left wondering what was going on.

Even though I can't say I've loved the new Star Wars movies, Lucas has kept the hype up by not putting out too many shows that detract from the films. I think there has been a cartoon series and some books, but nothing to detract interest from the next movie.

When I saw a few minutes of some Star Trek spin-off series it never felt like "Star Trek" to me. Sure the name was there and a certain look, but given all the similar shows on Sci-Fi I didn't feel I were seeing anything different.

Star Trek really needs some new spark or new direction. It seems to me like that franchise has been drained to the very last drop - and now the audience is tired.

Steve

PS - And I am a huge fan of the original series and the original movies. Don't watch them much anymore, but I love the relationship between the characters and the fact the show was able to portray serious themes without becoming dark and depressing.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Even though I can't say I've loved the new Star Wars movies, Lucas has kept the hype up by not putting out too many shows that detract from the films. I think there has been a cartoon series and some books, but nothing to detract interest from the next movie.

I actually read yesterday (SciFi.com) that Lucas will be working on two new SW TV shows (!!) after Ep. 3. The first is a digitally animated one (probably like the Cartoon Network mini-shows) and the other is a LIVE-ACTION series. Now that should be interesting.

Jim
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 05:19 AM UTC
where...? I don't see that on SciFi...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 05:39 AM UTC
I think it was an older news article that was linked as a related story to the one I was reading. At least I think it was SciFi.com. In may have been another news site.

There is quite a bit of chatter on it though if you just google: "George Lucas" + live-action

Cheers,
Jim
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 05:48 AM UTC

"......Well, I think people are entitled to their opinions? Don't you? ........"

That is precisely what I was trying to say Steve. Rather than be a 'critic' of the new Sci-Fi Channel BG series and pic it apart, I was simply saying I enjoyed the series as a whole, and even more so because it didn't treat me as having the IQ of a Klingon (no offense meant to any Klingons who might be listening..... ) and/or the prudishness of a Preist (again, no offense meant to any clergy members who might be reading this).

"........Star Trek really needs some new spark......."

Couldn't agree with you more........but, I will then refer to qouting myself.......

"........Can you imagine a properly restructured TOS storyline that is as adult in nature?........"

Tread.

EDIT: To possibly illustrate this point a tad further I'll take an honest shot and ask this question;

Do you feel there is a more serious (read, adult) tone and feel to the Next Generation FILMS, as opposed to the TV episodes?

Of course there is! IIMHO (need to be PC here), I feel that that is at least part of the difference between the Broadcast TV episode feel, and the Cable TV freedom to be a little darker, more dangerous, and envelope-pushing in regards to storyline and characters.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 05:51 AM UTC
Yeah, I saw an interview where Lucas said this about the TV shows.

And it's really smart when you think about it. The films are complete and now he can focus on TV. People will be hungry for Star Wars since the 6 films are over.

I bet you will see in this last movie where some characters or situations are introduced that may be part of a new TV series. They are going to the Wookie planet, etc.

I think that's what Trek needs to do - really come up with a great idea (I'd like to see the early Kirk/Spock/McCoy years) and then make a new film or a new show with really high production values.

But I am really excited about a live action Star Wars show. Ever since I saw Wookie Christmas as a little kid I've wanted a Star Wars show!

Steve
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 06:36 AM UTC
I've been a Treker (rather than a Trekkie) for some time. I've noticed that each series has its own flavour, for example:

ST:TOS = exploration, first contact, cold war

ST: TNG = exploration, export of Federation ideals

ST: VOY = character based, run from superior foes

ST: DS9 = character based stories about the station personnel

ST: Enterprise = stumble about, get beat up

My own view is that the original premise behing ST:E was supposed to be "first voyages" based. I found that during the first season, more focus could have been given to meeting the some of the races we came to know in ST:TOS. Successive seasons could have been given over to how those relationships evolved into the Federation as we know it.

Unfortunately, ST:TOS was a reflexion of our global politics of the time (NATO vs Russia = cold war), and I'm beginning to see that some of our current global political issuse started to creep into ST:E.

Just my $0.02, feel free to disagree.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 08:20 AM UTC
I watched the original first run (yeah I'm that old). It ranks as one of my all time favorite shows. O course most of you guys realize theat Babylon 5 is my show. I love character developement. I am sure that Star Trek will return in a few years and gain a new crop of Trekkie - Trekers. I never really got into the Next Generation series that much but watched it on and off and occasionally reruns. LIked the Deep Space 9 and Voyager series pretty much. This last one just didn't hit the spot with me. As for the movies All time favorite was the Wrath of Khan. Did enjoy the humor of "Star Trek Saves the Whales" too.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 05:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

, well maybe it's time to finally recast Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. And yes McCoy will definately end up being a woman. haha
Jim

Blasphemer! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

I didn't care for the Battle Star remake...the FX were great..but the cast...eh! Starbuck...a woman..and Boomer? I did like the twist with the Cylons though...including the nympho-cylon

I liked both the original and Next Generation. Talk about character development, I think the Worf character was perfected in DS9. However, was it just me or did DS9 get a little too weird towards the end?

Voyager...Liked the ship...hated the show. TOOOOO PC

The Movies: Wrath of Khan and First Contact.

Favorite characters Worf, "Q", and McCoy

Favorite TNG episodes "Fist Full of Datas", and the one were Picard is taken by the Borg.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

TOOOOO PC

I think you have hit something here. Some of the Star Trek shows got a bit preachy and flowery.

I wonder how many seasons a show lasts before it gets old. My guess is three years with the second season being the best.

Steve
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 04:32 AM UTC
I'd like to see a new series from the Klingon point of view.
Or More involvement of the Tribbles....................
Asmenoth
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 274 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 08:31 AM UTC
The frist problem I had with the show was the Klingons weren't the old ones from the orginal series (like they should have been), but the newer, 'modified', ones from Next Generation.

But what finally killed it for me was them meeting the Borg. Didn't actually watch the episode, but after seeing the preview I turned it off for good. The human race never met the Borg until Q forced the Borg onto them a bit early in the Next Generation. I guess Q did not know about this and is not omipotent after all?

I'm glad the show is gone. Not sure if Paramount can fix this fiasco with a new show or not....

:-)
mlb63
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 08:51 AM UTC
Actually Carl i think your on to something with a new show from a Klingon or even a Romulan point of view.Better yet lets replace Rick Berman and give Tankcarl the job.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 09:18 AM UTC
They MET the Borg? I must have missed that episode.

Oh well I also missed part 2 of the season 2 cliff-hanger.

Jim
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder how many seasons a show lasts before it gets old. My guess is three years with the second season being the best.

Unfortunately (in my humble opinion as a ST Fan) ST:TNG "jumped the shark" right outta the gate with Encounter at Farpoint. "Lets see what this Galaxy Class Starship can do!" throats Captain Picard.

I gagged and the series never could recover for me after that. I have some episodes that I do like, but for it's long run, 5-8 favorite shows isn't really good. The Borg and Q were the best characters/creations to come out of ST:TNG - but they can be watered down too...

DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, unfortunately just didn't blaze new trails with the characters/franchise. It seemed like another UPN formulaic rehash of "Dawson's Creek". I longed for the 1960's wooden sets, near-zero budgets, green women, fuzz-balls that eat grain, and rubber rocks again.

Sorry to erect a soapbox. The worst thing that happened to the Star Trek franchise is Paramount...

Gunnie