Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
The Post office and how they treat our mail
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,009 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 05:15 AM UTC
Hey Guy's,
I recently mailed a kit out to someone in the US, and they recieved it today. I packaged the box up with several air packs to help keep the kit box from getting damged etc. Low and behold the Postoffice found a way to crush them both.. Luckily the contents of the kit were safe and nothing was broken. Check out the pic he sent me of the box's. The lesson for today is to be sure and pack up your kits really well. IF there is away for them to get mangled they will find it. LOL
Cheers,
B
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 05:18 AM UTC
Wow. It looks like they slammed that thing in the truck door, several times.

Shaun
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 5,182 Posts
KitMaker Network: 242 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 05:23 AM UTC
Ohhh Bryan!!

Let's hope my package don't arrive that way!!
We shall see - and I'll take a pic of it when arrives

Skipper
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 05:29 AM UTC
LOL.... there's still hope....... :-) :-) :-)
Skipper.... your package arrived..... stuffed so tight into my mail box, I had to use my pocket knife to open it inside the box, remove the figure, then collapes the box just to remove it from the mailbox......... Gotta Love the post office........ :-) :-) :-)
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 06:16 AM UTC
Having worked for the Army postal system I can well imagine how it's been treated seen parcels being used as footballs mail bags being used as crash mats and DONT EVER PUT FRAGILE! on the box this means try every way to break/damage it
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 06:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Having worked for the Army postal system I can well imagine how it's been treated seen parcels being used as footballs mail bags being used as crash mats and DONT EVER PUT FRAGILE! on the box this means try every way to break/damage it

When I worked in a despatch bay we were always told 'If you mark it fragile and they bust it then you can claim; if it is fragile and you don't mark then tough luck'

Doesn't make any difference to way it gets treated though!
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 06:23 AM UTC
The only good thing I can say about our postal service is the lady at my post office is very polite.
You would think that with all the competition for package delivery that the post office would try to get things right. For on thing postal rates don't make any sence to me, cheaper to send BC to ONT then BC to ALTA, and after paying a premium for 3days and get it a week later.
Luckly I havn't had anything damaged in the mail
Max_Fischer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 639 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 06:33 AM UTC
I got a Jagdtiger and wow it was broken in 6 places!

Football anyone?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 07:19 AM UTC
Whew!!! Before I scrolled down all the way I thought that might be my Achilles. :-)

This thread reminds me of two things. The movie The Christmas Story where the father got his package. Clearly marked, This End Up, it was still laid down on it's side. He reads Fragile on the box as if it were pronounced, Fra Gee Lay, and says, "must be Italian."

In the old Mad Magazine I remember a thing they did about back scenes at the post office. A couple of postal workers were cracking up watching a customer laboriously sort all his envelopes by if they were 1st class, local, international, etc, only to have the bins all lead to the same large dumpster.

They don't call it snail mail for nothing. I've seen a cartoon where the post office eagle is replaced by a snail, saying they might as well go along with everybody else.

Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 795 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 07:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Its my belief that every post employe takes that phrase as an personal insult. In my line of work Ive had some problems with the post. The wont even take the costs for goods that are evidently damaged on purpose or grave neglect. (wheres that throatcutting smiley when one needs one?)
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 07:39 AM UTC
wow, my tiger 3in1 arived without any damges... but i cut the boxart with my knife i was surpised to see how thick the box was... and iam surpsied they can bend it liek that!

Frank
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 02:14 PM UTC
uuuuuu wow
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 03:32 PM UTC
As a postal worker here in Britain I must add my congratulations to our colonial postal coleagues.
It is good to see that the finest traditions of our industry are being are being maintained.

Many packages are sent extremely well protected and it is a real challenge to make sure that the care taken by the sender was in vain.

I hope everyone reading this thread will admire the extra work put in by the postal workers to ensure that the package arrived in the condition it did.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 05:57 PM UTC
Bryan, one thing popped into mind... what did you do to the postman to make him do this :-) if you didnt do anything to him to begin with, i suggest you make sure the front of his van looks the same as that package :-)
Whose up for it fella's, BYO drinks and cricket bats! :-) :-) :-)
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 06:34 PM UTC
Some people say miracles never hapens, I would say it's a miracle that kit isn't damaged.