Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
airsoft help?
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 01:24 PM UTC
what are these?

Iam wondering what they are exactly, do they fire using co2 or bateries? are they legal in canada? are they metal or plastic, how many own them and what do they think of them?

I know htey look sweet on pics lol

Frank
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 01:38 PM UTC
Those are airsoft guns pronounced AIR-SOFT-GUNS... jk lol. Well anyways the nice ones are gas powered and are made out of metal, they are made to be the exact weight of the real version of that gun. I have no idea if they are legal in Canada. I have a springshot airsoft gun. Got it for $30 and its worth what it is, it looks good, but works bad.
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 02:00 PM UTC
Airsoft actually refers to the ammunition. The'bullets' are (normally) 6mm, plastic pellets.

Like our scale plastic models of armor and aircraft, the quality of the gun depends on the manufacturer. Of course quality affects the price too.

I picked up 9mm Berretta from Airsoft Atlanta for ~$24 US and it is a pretty good replica.

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/

On the other hand, I also got an MP-40 and it needs a lot of work. But I knew that going into since Airsoft Atlanta's description of the 'kit' described it as such.

As far as them being legal in Canada goes, you may have to contact your local law enforcement office, or search airsoft dealer websites for lists of where they ship, etc.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 02:35 PM UTC
hmm, if there ileagel il smuggle it in lol

how about the shooting?

Frank
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 10:41 PM UTC
Francios--I don't shoot mine. Well not much anyway. And not enough to know good from bad.

I imagine the accuracy also depends on the manufacturer and the $$ spent on the gun.
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,009 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 11:36 PM UTC
Go to Airsoft Canada YOu can find out about the legalities and find shops that sell them in Canada because they are illegal to import. It would be confiscated at the border and your money would just go down the drain.
B
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2005 - 03:39 PM UTC
If I remember correctly, the determination as to whether a weapon is "legal" or not depends on barrel length, and muzzle velocity.

Muzzle velocity is why certain .177cal air rifles are considered firearms under the statute and require FAC and all the other paperwork.
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2005 - 10:20 PM UTC
If you have a copy of the new Canadian tire catalogue they have them in there with the paint pellet guns.

HastyP
BuckGully
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 61 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 04:46 AM UTC
The M-16A2 you linked to is an AEG, which is short for Airsoft Electric Gun. It uses a battery to drive a motor that fires the pellets. The pellets are 6 or 8 mm plastic BBs.

There are four basic types of Airsoft guns:
Spring air guns (or springers) use a manually cocked spring to shoot. These are usually pretty weak and very cheap, but there are some sniper style rifles that have really strong springs and cost a lot.

Gas non blowback guns are usually pistols that use either green gas (hfc-134a, the refrigerant that replaced freon) or CO2 (CO2 is rare). They're usually pretty cheap, because the internals aren't too complex.

Gas blowback are usually pistols that also use green gas, but they work more like real guns - the propellant also cycles the slide or action on the gun.

AEGs are usually larger SMG and assuault rifle style guns that use a battery (normally NiCD or NiMH rechargeables, like the ones RC cars use) that fire semi or full automatic.

Tokyo Marui guns are usually made out of plastic with metal internals, but there are some exceptions. Other manufacturers (Classic Army, for example) make theirs out of metal, but they're usually more expensive. You can also get aftermarket metal parts for most of them.

Airsoft Extreme is good about telling what parts are made out of metal or plastic.

Airsoft Canada would be a much better resource for the legalities of having them in Canada.

I used the word "usually" a lot up there, because there are a lot of situations where you can find oddball airsoft guns that don't fall exactly into any of these categories.