Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Any gun collectors out there?
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 05:13 AM UTC
Besides modeling, my other hobby is guns. Mostly WW II military weapons, but also modern semi-automatic rifles. My prize possesions are an M1 Garand and M1 carbine, with a couple of Russian captured K98's being a close second. And I really think that my SKS' are breeding because they're really starting to pile up as well.

Anybody else collect?
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 05:25 AM UTC
I wouldn't really call myself a collector perse, but I do have a few weapons.

Between myself and my Dad we probably have 15-20 guns. Hardly a collection....but still a healthy amount.

Myself, I have:

IGI single shot 28gauge (what I learned to hunt on...love it, but hard to find ammo for it now)

Mossberg 500, 21"barrel, 7rnd mag 12 gauge

Remington 1100 Semi-auto, old gun, early 70s, 30" barrel, 12 gauge awesome duck gun

Ruger 10/22 semi-suto, .22 cal, great little plinker

Browning BPS, Upland Special, pump action, 20 gauge.

SKS 7.62mmX39mm, 10rnd fixed mag removed, fiberglass Draganov like stock installed, 4X scope...all that is missing is a bipod

Enfield .303 bolt action, was an after war relic, stock was cut down, so not original, but for a WWII surplus gun, it still shoots nice and straight.

Dad has a few as well, also has an Enfield .303, Marling lever action .444cal, Browning Abolt .30-06, various single shot and dble barrel shotguns, his fav is a dbl barrel .410.

Also got a M1 Garand from a buddy at work that was having a hard time, and needed some money. Only thing was he replaced the wooden stock with a black fibreglass one. So its not completly stock....still haven't taken it out and shot it yet.

I used to have a couple of handguns, but with the laws and such regarding handguns in Canada, its too much of a pain in the ass to have them now. But I used to have a Ruger P85 9mm, and a Glock 17 when it first came out. Still kick myself in the ass for ever giving up the Glock.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 05:39 AM UTC
At one time, I had 11 military semi-automatic rifles. But, my ex-wife put me $20,000 in the hole twice and they slowly got sold off to bail us out. Since leaving her, I have slowly started to reestablish my collection. I have a few weapons now:

Bushmaster AR-15 carbine with S.I.R. rail system and back up iron sights, Aimpoint red dot scope.

Kimber 1911 (TLE/RL II) with integral frame rail.

Ruger 10/22-One of the best rifles ever made

1944 Production Mauser 98 (Produced by Sauer & Sohns). It is a Russian capture rifle. I'm trying to find a cleaning rod and bayonet for it now.

Unfortunately, that is my measely little collection.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 06:04 AM UTC
My grandpa was a gunsmith, so I grew up with guns from as far back as I can remember.

I used to have a pretty sizable collection, but when I got out of the Army and went to college, I ended up selling all the guns that held no sentimental value -- quite a few pistols in that bunch.

I presently only have three, all with strong sentimental value. My old, trusty Remington 870 12 gauge has lots of hunting hours on it. I also kept the old Remington "Targetmaster" .22 that belonged to grandpa -- it has a 4x scope and can still drive tacks. It also has a 2-digit serial number.

My favorite is my 6.5x55 Swedish mauser carbine. Gramps gave it to me when I was 14 and I have slayed countless whitetail deer, as well as a few coyotes, raccoons, foxes and other critters with it. It's sporterized, with the bolt bent to clear the 4x scope and a wide, laminated stock so it doesn't remove my shoulder when I fire it. Great brush gun with pretty good range if I need it. If I can see it, I can kill it.

My wife really likes shooting pistols, so I've been toying with the idea of getting another. Those 10mm Glocks look pretty sweet to me and I can hunt with it, too. Of course, I'll probably have to get a 9mm or .380 for the frau.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 06:38 AM UTC
Brent, you can get the cleaning rod and bayonet from Numrich Gun Parts. Go here: http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=1780z98
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 07:14 AM UTC
I don't really collect, but I have a couple Mausers, one of which has the bayonet and full wooden stock. The other has the sport stock. Also have an old break action shotgun and another old rifle, but can't remember what it is right now. Used to have an SKS and a few others, but never got to enjoy them the way I'd like, so I sold and/or traded them.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 10:16 AM UTC
Here's one of mine

You can see some of my stuff here http://www.salt6.com/sports.htm

SB
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 10:36 AM UTC
I am more of a weapons accumulator than a collector, but truly appreciate the lines and mechanics of a good weapon. I do try and limit my new acquisitions to a commonality regarding ammo, basically 9mm, 38 and 357, and of course 22cal. Many are locked away in the gun safe, along with copious amounts of ammunition.

Getting out to the range is always a treat, as is talking "guns" with fellow afficienados.

When asked how many guns I have, the truthful response is "more than I need, but not as many as I want"-----kind of like my unbuilt model kit pile

Take care.

Steve
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 10:58 AM UTC
I have a collection well accumulation, of Ruger 10/22s. I custom them with heavy bull barrels, match triggers, etc. I also have plenty of customer shotguns
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 05:00 PM UTC
i have a bbgun and a pellet gun from canadian tire... but i guess that doesnt count

my uncles got a springfield his father found in a garbage lol

my dad had a realy nice revoler made from soem italien comapny, looked jsut liek the one cowboys had, all silver with a wooden grip, but my mom got rid of it along with all his guns because of hte laws being to strict.

Neatherless, i cant wait to be 18 and be able to get myself a rifle.

Frank
Sumpfhund
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 39 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 02:20 PM UTC
How much are K98's going for these days? I been out of the loop since I moved to California.
Ryan
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 04:08 PM UTC
I wouldn't say I collect but I do have collector pieces. I have a pre WW2 m1919 .45, a WW2 Japanese 7.7mm Arisaka rifle and an original 1863 Springfield.
IndyCopper
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 153 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 04:05 AM UTC
I own a Mossberg model 590 12 guage, a crappy Bersa .380, a Smith and Wesson .38 air weight snub nose revolver that I carry at work as a back up weapon, a Colt 1991A1 .45 that my local gun smith has tricked out with all the proper extras for a practical carry defence gun, a Glock 19 9mm which is what I am most likely to have on me when not on duty and out and about, my department issued Sig 220 .45, A Remington/Wilson Combat 870 with the green teflon finish, tritium ghost ring sights and surefire forend light that rides in the overhead rack in my squad car and a Colt CAR-15 with the surefire rails with verticle grip for the forend and a collapsable stock. I keep that one in the trunck of the squad car for ERT (swat duty).