_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Modelling software
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 01:45 AM UTC
Does anyone out there use any software for:

• Their collections
  • Their kits in various stages of assemby (i.e. from unassembled on the shelf to completed)
  • The materials used (i.e. paints, AM products, scratchbuild parts, etc.)
  • Details about kits, e.g. Manufacturer, kit number, era, purchase dates, etc.

If the answer is "Yes" to any one or more more of the above questions, or to any question that you can think of that vaguely relates to the above questions, please let me know what software you are using. What are the pro and cons of the software?

shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 02:07 AM UTC
I am using Autocad for scratching some parts precisely
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 02:27 AM UTC
I know BroAbrams is making a 3D Abrams. It is sort of an ongoing project; we occasionally get updates

Jeff
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 03:36 AM UTC
Here is a link to a free kit database program developed by someone in the Huntsville, AL IPMS club. I posted the original message three years ago and have periodically reposted the information for the benefit of our newer members.

The advantage to this program is that it is free. A disadvantage to it or any other database program is the time consuming data entry. Unavoidable in this day and age. Perhaps someday we will have bar code readers that scan the UPC code and upload all the pertinent kit information into the database.

The program runs on Microsoft Office Access 97, 2000 and XP. This could be an advantage or disadvantage depending on your computer use.

http://www.geocities.com/hpmsdbase/
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 12:03 PM UTC
Rudi,

I've never been a fan of Access...but I can do ungodly things with Excel....so, I use Excel for my database applications...

If you'd like a copy of what I use (that is if you don't have Access), let me know.

Mike
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 01:59 PM UTC
Excel spreadsheets.

I keep track of stash (incl all A/M), references, current projects, paint inventory, Evergreen/brass/wood inventory, and I make helpers like scale converters, etc.

The stash sheet is most useful because I can decide to build a kit, tag it with a "project name" then search the stash for related A/M, decide what to use & tag it with same "project name". After I sort it, all itmes in the "project" are organized together & the it also tells me what is left in the stash for other projects.

Can be as simple of ugly as you want.

I stay away from Access as too clumsy & I like the ability to use fonts & colors in Excel to aid readability.

I do text records of work in Word documents -- nothing fancy & not indexed/tied to the Excel stuff.

I think a true "database" exceeds my requirements & interests, so simple automated record keeping is just fine.

I also have a standard Models directory structure for all my kits/projects so I can keep track of refernce material I have collected & photos, etc of the project.

John
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 03:08 PM UTC
I just set up a simple spreadsheet in Excel......
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 05:12 PM UTC
Thanks lads.

That's the feedback I was looking for.

qq, don't your excel spreadsheets get very big though after adding in all the filters and lookups and extra pages etc?

TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 11:45 PM UTC
Rudi,

Excel sheets can get HUGE, but with "filtering" you can get them in a manageable size to print. I have one for my M:tG card collection that has several thousand entries and about 3K lines. I'd go through several reams of paper if I ever wanted to print it, but I use it as a reference and collection "counter."

It sounds like jRatz has one similar, but more in detail than mine. May just have to ask John for a copy

Mike
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 04:09 PM UTC
I'll provide copies, but with just illustrative data to anyone who would like them. I'll need a couple days to hack up some quick documentation.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 05:02 PM UTC
A spreadsheet/database to keep track of your stock???
I can check my stock by looking at it... this may be indicative of a lack of stock, but it works for me.

I don't have enough time to go to work, spend time with my baby girl and wife, built models, Paint the models I built, and on top of that I would have to update a spreadsheet..? Each to their own, but not for me. Models are for building, not archiveing.
:-)

Henk
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 06:53 PM UTC
I keep track of my stash and my modelling books using excel sheets.
I then use Documents -to-go to put the sheets on my Palm Pilot. Saves me from buying the same kit twice (unless I want to).

Chuck
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 07:49 PM UTC
I have to go with Henk on this one. The time I would spend on compiling a database is better spent on actual modelling. It's a personal choice though

Vinnie
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 01:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to go with Henk on this one. The time I would spend on compiling a database is better spent on actual modelling. It's a personal choice though

Vinnie

You are absolutely right and I took over a week to get mine done, and now it takes nothing.

I did it as defensive measure -- kits themselevs aren't the issue -- I was over buying or double buying aftermarket, books, etc because I couldn't see what I had hidden somewhere. You have to see my work area & library to understand.

In fact, I did so well re-organizing things as I cataloged them that I freed up 1/2 a shelf, thus giving me the excuse to snag a few more kits -- nature abhors a vacuum.

John
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 11:43 PM UTC
As a former banking and finance major in college, I enjoy working with numbers. So much, in fact, that my officer functional area is comptroller. I've also dealt with large budgets as part of my duties.

I used the Access program when I started getting back into 1/72 scale. A much smaller selection of kits and now with the aftermarket industry playing catch-up we get Eduard, Part and ExtraTech PE for the same model. A database helps keep me straight so I do not end up buying multiple AM sets unless I need them.

I still buy multiple kits though. Many 1/72 scale kits still come with optional parts to build several variants (Revell M2A2/M3A2 Bradley for instance). Plus with 1/72 scale kits under $10 I don't feel bad about kit basing a Revell M1A1 with an Esci M1 to give myself an M1IP.
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 02:02 AM UTC
I made myself an interactive database using Microsoft Excel. This software has all the tools you need to make the application for tracking your stocks of kits, paints, tools, etc... and the stages of your builds.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 07:39 AM UTC
I haven't gotten to that with my modeling, but I'm not sure why not, as like many of you, I use Excel for organizing a lot of things I do. There are a lot of excellent capabilities for "data-base" like tracking with Excel, and it is so much more "intuitive" than Access. I'm sure if you had a huge and complex data base to manage (especially one that required reports of cuts of the data), Access has more power.

But there's no doubt I could do anything I'd want with respect to "cataloging" with Excel.

Tom
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 12:01 PM UTC
Perhaps once they have RFID in the kits you can enter it into an inventory program.
Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 266 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 09:49 AM UTC
Used Paintshop Pro on a few occasions to make some scale posters for a diorama or two

Also used a program called Convert to convert measurements from Feet and Inches to Meters and Centimeters.

Cougar
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 717 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 04:02 AM UTC
Just for grins, I created a Lotus Notes database that tracks the kits, AM goodies (tracks, PE, etc.) plus has fields for holding digital photos, paint data, and so on. After building it and surveying the amount stuff that I should enter, I decided to continue using the Mark I Mighty Eyeball to do realtime inventories. If anyone would like a copy of the database, I would be happy to email a copy to any and all takers
Cvrle
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 104 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 - 06:35 AM UTC
I also use an Excel spreadsheet- I tried Acess, but found it too cumbersome.
I'm wondernig how are your databases organized? Do you use sheets for Types (vehicle, etc...) or Manufacturers etc...

Cheers,
Tvrtko
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 - 06:39 AM UTC
OK...

Scale Manufacterer Kit # Description then Notes
Neo
Visit this Community
entire network: 916 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 - 10:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am using Autocad for scratching some parts precisely

I'm using AutoCAD also, just made:

Stencils for markings on my MiG 21.
Also made a cockpit / guages for same.

Good Luck
N E O
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 - 11:35 AM UTC
All,
This hi-tech gear is making me dizzy
Will have to wait for a bit before reaching the inventory stage...

should be a pic??????? see my pics.
This is the tip of the pile ---moved house recently---now there was a chance missed-a well pencil and paper
aye,
barv
ps. whats an inventory
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 - 01:45 PM UTC
This may not display real well, I pulled it from my spreadsheet, but here are my two main files (it isn't a database structure -- just Excel lists & that is good enough for me). PS: It didn't on 1st try, so I'll try to pretty it up. It didn't 2nd time, so you get ..... to get spacing -- aaarrgh !!!!

Stash&Pending....worksheet format
... Things I buy, collect, etc, go in here as a stash inventory usually grouped by end item. As I have ideas also known as projects, I start to tag and organize them. This way I can manage the inventory & control random use of aftermarket.

WorkingProjects....worksheet format
... These are projects on the workbench

Both sheets use same format to facilitate cut & paste as I move from stash -> project and move left-over pieces from a project back to stash (ie partial use becomes "parts")

Col...Col Hdg..........Explanation

A-F...Kit Info.............where "Kit" is a very generic word meaning Kit, Part Set, Accessory, Detailing, etc
A.......kMfgr..............who made the kit, decal, aftermarket, etc
B.......kMfgr#.............the mfgr part number
C......kName............the mfgr name for the kit, or something close that fits
D......kType...............Inj, PE, Rsn, Wire, Sheet, Strip, etc -- usually abbreviations
E.......kScale............35, 48, 72, etc
F.......Qty...................# available in stash if not on project, else # allocated to a project
G-J...End Item.........info to identify basic information of the end item
G......iName.............name used to group items by common end item
H......iEra..................abbrev: ww1, ww2, kw, btw='TweenWars, acw=AmCivilWar, etc
I........iNatl.................abbrev: Country (stash usually original, project usually specific) of the End Item
J.......iType................air, sea, gnd, etc
K-L...Project.............used to allocate items to a specific project
K.......pName...........name or code for the project
L.......pSeq................seq# to keep items within a project ordered (basic kit #1, A/M 2..n)
M......Notes

References....work sheet format
... List of references strongly tied to models that I have pretty much organized into one area in my room. Does not include the 1500 or so books in my "other" library, many of which provide historical background or supplemental information. I am working to reorganize my big library and merge both as appropriate, but that will take a big commitment because I must build full-wall shelving.

Col....Col Hdg.........Explanation

A-B....Ref Info
A........Ref Title.........The full title; plus volume info if a series
B.......Author/Pub.....Author and/or Publisher
C-F...Subject...........info to identify basic information of the subject (end item, battle, etc)
C.......iName............name used to group items by common subject
D.......iEra.................abbrev: ww1, ww2, kw, btw='TweenWars, acw=AmCivilWar, etc
E.......iNatl................abbrev: Country of the Subject
F.......iType...............air, sea, gnd, etc
G......Notes

I also have some simple sheets, matrices, etc, to keep track of sizes of styrene, basswood, & brass that I keep around.

John
 _GOTOTOP